2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 26-28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2019 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, April 26-28

He didnt have any mediums anymore. He used the only remaining ones for the start; the other were damaged during his crash.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

NathanOlder

I thought you get a free set when replacing a damaged/dangerous set ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Restomaniac wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 18:41
Restomaniac wrote:That’s my worry. Ferrari have already brought forward a lot of theirs for this weekend. Mercedes have still got all theirs to come.
But even if that’s the case, that Mercedes has more parts coming for Barcelona, that doesn’t mean that their upgrade will give them more lap time improvement than Ferrari could get out of theirs.

So far it seems that Ferrari is having a harder time putting energy into the tires, if their upgrade tackles that, they could get the upper hand versus Mercedes... Let’s also keep in mind that Ferrari seems to have struggled with lower temperatures, which shouldn’t be an issue during the European leg since it will be held in summer time.

So far, Mercedes has dominated really in 3 out of 4 races (Bahrain was definitely a Ferrari race)... And their advantage has really been based on having great work through the weekend, not only by the car, but as a team they have been better (better strategy, more reliability and less mistakes from their drivers)... This race showed how focus the team is with Lewis and Valtteri been extra careful in the first lap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But Ferrari have shown that those updates haven’t fixed their fundamental issues. ANY Mercedes improvement will make the Ferrari job harder. A job they so far are failing at.

However what have we learned about Mercedes and their updates in previous seasons? It’s normally they are bang on the money.

That’s before we even start on RedBulls updates.
You are speculating that the updates they brought for this race didn’t help their issues, reality is that we don’t know that... Furthermore, this is a track particularly hard to get the tires up to temperature due to the long straight... So, they may have still struggled more than others... But the car has pace as showed in Bahrain.

Let’s wait and see, we can speculate a lot, but we won’t really know until Q3 in Barcelona... I have a feeling that Ferrari will bounce back, if that would be enough for Pole, no idea... But their pace should improve based on track layout and expected temperatures

gdanielwesley
gdanielwesley

NathanOlder wrote:I thought you get a free set when replacing a damaged/dangerous set ?
Yes, Leclerc started a new M tyre.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

NathanOlder

gdanielwesley wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 19:11
NathanOlder wrote:I thought you get a free set when replacing a damaged/dangerous set ?
Yes, Leclerc started a new M tyre.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk
Yeah but is that an extra set provided by Pirelli or is it a set that Ferrari already had ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Only one highlight from this race: Kimi! started from pit and finished in points. He is a legend :)

LM10
LM10

SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 19:10

You are speculating that the updates they brought for this race didn’t help their issues, reality is that we don’t know that... Furthermore, this is a track particularly hard to get the tires up to temperature due to the long straight... So, they may have still struggled more than others... But the car has pace as showed in Bahrain.
Let’s wait and see, we can speculate a lot, but we won’t really know until Q3 in Barcelona... I have a feeling that Ferrari will bounce back, if that would be enough for Pole, no idea... But their pace should improve based on track layout and expected temperatures

I don’t know where he pulls the speculation out of. Claiming the upgrades didn’t help Ferrari when in reality they must have worked otherwise they would have put them off after free practices.
Some people don’t know what they’re talking about. Before this week there was talk of Ferrari being slaughtered in sectors 1 and 2 in Baku, but in fact, they were pretty fast there. Now, one would assume it partly was because of their upgrades.
Last edited by LM10 on 28 Apr 2019, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Edax
Edax

dtro wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:13
Ricciardo- last of the late brakers eh?!?!?! My boy DK was on the way to the points! Reversing into drivers, talk about red mist!!!
Seems that Ric now is officially going for the title of “torpedo”. Still has a bit to learn, Kvyat usually got it right first time and never had to back up to finish it off. :lol:

Just kidding of course. It was a pity for Kvyat, he did pretty well to keep out of trouble.

As for Ricciardo, wonder how many times per day he will be thinking about not taking the RB contract. Seems that the words from Max last year were profetic, when he said that the next time he would be driving behind Ricciardo, they would be waving blue flags.

iotar__

- if the race lasted x more laps we would have seen another great Hamilton on Bottas overtake =P~ . I sympathise with a leading driver that gets earlier stop and longer second stint for no reason.

- Kvyat gets a drive through in the last race for at worst heavy traffic move gone slightly wrong and Ricciardo for non racing brainfart mere three places. Could have been a reprimend if he was still at RB. Alternatively RB car would have stopped earlier.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

LM10 wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 19:10

I don’t know where he pulls the speculation out of. Claiming the upgrades didn’t help Ferrari when in reality they must have worked otherwise they would have put them off after free practices.
Some people don’t know what they’re talking about. Before this week there was talk of Ferrari being slaughtered in sectors 1 and 2 in Baku, but in fact, they were pretty fast there. Now, one would assume it partly was because of their upgrades.
Exactly, without knowing how their lap times would have been without the upgrades, we don’t know if they worked or how effective they are.

I don’t think that Ferrari has an “aero” problem... Not in the sense of not getting the results they expect from it.

Their problem is generating heat for the tires, which comes from a combination of factors that include suspension, ride height, heat transfer of the rims and of course aero... They are not necessarily suffering from understeer or oversteer, the car is balanced, they just don’t have enough grip from the tires when those are not at optimum temperature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Edax wrote:
dtro wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:13
Ricciardo- last of the late brakers eh?!?!?! My boy DK was on the way to the points! Reversing into drivers, talk about red mist!!!
Seems that Ric now is officially going for the title of “torpedo”. Still has a bit to learn, Kvyat usually got it right first time and never had to back up to finish it off. :lol:

Just kidding of course. It was a pity for Kvyat, he did pretty well to keep out of trouble.

As for Ricciardo, wonder how many times per day he will be thinking about not taking the RB contract. Seems that the words from Max last year were profetic, when he said that the next time he would be driving behind Ricciardo, they would be waving blue flags.
I don’t think he is yet to regret it... He is making way more than he was going to be paid at Red Bull... He is in a better environment in terms of team atmosphere... He knew Renault wasn’t going to be fighting Red Bull this season and is betting on them getting it right in reality for 2021.

That doesn’t mean that he is happy with the car or his performance right now, I’m sure he isn’t... But he didn’t made the switch to fight for the Championship with Renault in 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bill shoe
bill shoe

foxmulder_ms wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 19:24
Only one highlight from this race: Kimi! started from pit and finished in points. He is a legend :)
Kimi has finished all four races in the points!, a hugely successful start for Sauber-Romeo. I suspect Kimi's consistent success in the tough midfield is probably more satisfying to him than his recent stint at Ferrari when he was continuously getting his butt kicked at the front by Merc.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 11:31

I'd really like to hear what the reasons were for this nonsense.
Because the guy ahead shouldn't be disadvantaged by the safety car. If you place the line too early, the guy in front can lose out because of someone elses issue.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jumpingfish

Who can say with 100% confidence whether Ferrari had another medium tires for Leclerc? Maybe some posts/images that shows they didn't have mediums for the race, only 1 for Leclerc's start

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Phil wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 15:49

I do think Hamilton should have been more aggressive at the start though. Side by side into T1 and on the inside into T2 - he could have muscled through. Fair play that they both gave each other room though. Gotta respect that.
Rule number 1: don't crash with your team mate.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.