2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Andres125sx

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Jolle wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 23:53
Monaco is 99% qualifying and 1% keeping it out of the wall during the race. Part good car, part driver in the right groove. On the car side, getting your tires to work in that one lap and good low speed grip, lots of downforce. Aero efficiency and engine power, what is important at the other circuits isn't important.

Although Sainz was 8th, McLaren had six other manufactures in front of them. Only Alfa, Racing Point and Williams were worse.
Yeah, Monaco is about qualifying... no passing... sundays are useless in Monaco... (fill any other cliché you want here)... but the race day Sainz went from 9th (not 8th) to 6th without any DNF in front of him, so when points are scored, only the top three teams (not manufacturers) were in front of McLaren :wink:

GoranF1
GoranF1

godlameroso wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 22:31
McLaren always brings new parts to every race, the development is constant even if you don't see it on the car.
And even if its not shown on results.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

_cerber1

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 15:10
Where was this taken from?
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2019/can ... p-preview/

BrunoH
BrunoH

yeah, well i dont really care what renault says about the engine. its not at the same level as the Mercedes or Ferrari...

Macklaren
Macklaren

Ground Effect wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 15:10
_cerber1 wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 14:30
Andreas Seidl: “We are going to Canada with a positive attitude after several good races, but at the same time are fully focused on continuing to move forward. The team is engaged in the modernization of the machine and will bring in Montreal a number of updated components.

This season we were able to properly organize work during the race weekends, which allowed us to earn points, but it is important to continue to meet our high standards in the future. Tactics, pit stops, interaction between the riders and the team - all these are extremely important areas.

The Montreal circuit has some unique characteristics. In fact, this is a city highway, but at the same time it is very fast, where the appearance is often influenced by the emergence of safety cars and changeable weather surprises, so we must be prepared for any scenarios. ”
Never heard it put like this before, The team is engaged in the modernization of the machine and will bring in Montreal a number of updated components. :D =D>
Where was this taken from?
Interesting that the text now send to be reworded on the Mclaren website

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

BrunoH wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 11:32
yeah, well i dont really care what renault says about the engine. its not at the same level as the Mercedes or Ferrari...
In race trim, there’s little between the 4 engines. If it were in a Red Bull, it would be a lot more obvious. Just look at the midfield, there’s nothing between them, with a Mercedes powered car at the bottom, a Renault powered car currently at the top of the midfield. A lot of people underestimate the deficit in the chassis and how much more superior the top teams are in that department. Question, what was the delta between Red Bull and Renault works team last season, not to talk of McLaren with the same engine?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
BrunoH wrote:
In race trim, there’s little between the 4 engines. If it were in a Red Bull, it would be a lot more obvious. Just look at the midfield, there’s nothing between them, with a Mercedes powered car at the bottom, a Renault powered car currently at the top of the midfield. A lot of people underestimate the deficit in the chassis and how much more superior the top teams are in that department. Question, what was the delta between Red Bull and Renault works team last season, not to talk of McLaren with the same engine?
Last year Red Bull was 0.17 seconds from Pole in Canada’s Qualifying... The engines might very well be pretty close together, reality is that we don’t have enough information to confirm or deny Renault’s statement...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

godlameroso

GoranF1 wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 20:20
godlameroso wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 22:31
McLaren always brings new parts to every race, the development is constant even if you don't see it on the car.
And even if its not shown on results.
If everyone else is doing the same thing then it becomes hard to quantify results, as you are measuring against a moving target. If we raced 21 times a year on the same track then you would see the actual progress being made.

Instead we have 21 different tracks which change year on year, change weather, and new tires. McLaren typically brings a floor update to Canada, so likely something they've been working on. Maybe some Mercedes/Red Bull style vanes on the floor? Maybe where the barge board deflectors meet the barge boards?
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 15:18
Ground Effect wrote:
BrunoH wrote:
Last year Red Bull was 0.17 seconds from Pole in Canada’s Qualifying... The engines might very well be pretty close together, reality is that we don’t have enough information to confirm or deny Renault’s statement...

If the trend continues Red Bull is .3-.4 faster than last year. Mercedes .6 - .7 and Ferrari .1 to .2 faster.

McLaren is .7-.8 faster so they closed the gap to the top by ~.2 they still have the better part of a second, but it's good enough to have the 4th fastest car at the moment. Or at the very least 4th best team.
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Ground Effect wrote: In race trim, there’s little between the 4 engines. If it were in a Red Bull, it would be a lot more obvious. Just look at the midfield, there’s nothing between them, with a Mercedes powered car at the bottom, a Renault powered car currently at the top of the midfield. A lot of people underestimate the deficit in the chassis and how much more superior the top teams are in that department. Question, what was the delta between Red Bull and Renault works team last season, not to talk of McLaren with the same engine?

If the trend continues Red Bull is .3-.4 faster than last year. Mercedes .6 - .7 and Ferrari .1 to .2 faster.

McLaren is .7-.8 faster so they closed the gap to the top by ~.2 they still have the better part of a second, but it's good enough to have the 4th fastest car at the moment. Or at the very least 4th best team.
Exactly! I’ll admit my expectations are high for Canada... In the past, Canada has followed Bahrain in terms of team’s performance and McLaren had a good showing there, so hoping that it repeats itself... In addition, the upgrades brought to Spain haven’t really have had a chance shine (admitted setup issues in Spain and Monaco we all know won’t show any Aero progress)... So Canada should be the first time we see what the car can do in a high speed track... They are also supposed to be able to run the engine a little harder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 18:33
godlameroso wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

Exactly! I’ll admit my expectations are high for Canada... In the past, Canada has followed Bahrain in terms of team’s performance and McLaren had a good showing there, so hoping that it repeats itself... In addition, the upgrades brought to Spain haven’t really have had a chance shine (admitted setup issues in Spain and Monaco we all know won’t show any Aero progress)... So Canada should be the first time we see what the car can do in a high speed track... They are also supposed to be able to run the engine a little harder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plus, further upgrades are planned for Canada as well. I’m expecting the upgrades to break in better and quicker than the Spain upgrade because they have raced on a comparable track, which is Bahrain. They would definitely use it as a reference point.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 12:51
BrunoH wrote:
Bruno can say whatever he wants but the Gap to Merc in Monaco was 1.2 second in Quali. That was all chassis and tires, Absolutely 0% PU. Your're gonna carry that Chassis/Tire gap to every race. Naturally It will increase or decrease depending on the type of track, length, tires being used, temperature, etc, etc, etc. Merc has made a huge jump at the tires and chassis this year. The point is, that your single largest GAP. Let Renault worry about the PU, it's really all that McLaren can control at this point anyways.

RonDennis
RonDennis

80% of the deficit comes from the chassis and it might be even more. McLaren won't be anywhere close winning with a Mercedes or Ferrari engine. McLaren should just focus on getting P4 this year and make another good step next year. I don't see how they will ever close the gap to Ferrari, Red Bull or Mercedes without any rule changes.

diffuser

There is always hope a good chunk of it is tires.

godlameroso

RonDennis wrote:
04 Jun 2019, 19:32
80% of the deficit comes from the chassis and it might be even more. McLaren won't be anywhere close winning with a Mercedes or Ferrari engine. McLaren should just focus on getting P4 this year and make another good step next year. I don't see how they will ever close the gap to Ferrari, Red Bull or Mercedes without any rule changes.
You're right, not with iterative evolution.
Saishū kōnā