2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dr_cooke
dr_cooke

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Big Tea wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 18:01
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 17:04
geogate wrote:Im hearing lando had hydraulic issues
Yes, which have an effect on everything... Gear shifts, braking, steering weight (losing the hydraulic steering), differential, suspension behavior probably too... It’s actually pretty spectacular that he hold on for as long as he did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dont forget the DRS, which left him a sitting duck
You can’t defend with DRS and he was not in a position to re-conquer his place after losing it. DRS was irrelevant for him at that point

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
geogate wrote:Im hearing lando had hydraulic issues
Yes, which have an effect on everything... Gear shifts, braking, steering weight (losing the hydraulic steering), differential, suspension behavior probably too... It’s actually pretty spectacular that he hold on for as long as he did.

He could only really use it to lap someone since he wasn’t really in DRS range of Carlos when it happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Tea

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 18:23
Big Tea wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

He could only really use it to lap someone since he wasn’t really in DRS range of Carlos when it happened

But he could stay behind Saiz if he had kept it. I know he had dropped back by the time he was passed, but he may not have been in that position if he had DRS earlier in the race. Had he stayed infront another 3 laps...
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 18:23
Big Tea wrote: Dont forget the DRS, which left him a sitting duck

But he could stay behind Saiz if he had kept it. I know he had dropped back by the time he was passed, but he may not have been in that position if he had DRS earlier in the race. Had he stayed infront another 3 laps...
I do believe the mistake was to pit them both so early... If they would have pitted one of them to cover RIC and GAS and let the other car out and compare lap times, they would have been in a better position at the end of the race in terms of gaps... But, it’s easy to be a General after the battle :)

RonDennis
RonDennis

AMG.Tzan

Why this team always has the same problem? Hydraulics! Since the Hakkinen days (maybe even Senna days) every single time a Mclaren stops, it's because of hydraulics! Raikkonen in 2005 and Hamilton-Button in 2012 are 2 great examples of hydraulic failures all the time!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

diffuser

fouad1979 wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 16:43
Guys we were slow race pace wise i dont know why maybe the new suspension they need more tweak and setup but we were 2 s slower than a car who we did the same time in qualy
It's simple....they knew they couldn't beat the cars in front. so they managed the pace.

Jackles-UK

I’m confused that there is so much despondency about the result given that, but for a bit of bad luck and until about seven corners to the chequered flag, the McLaren’s were on course for a 6th & 7th place finish.

Anyone who genuinely expected the race pace to a match for Verstappen or Vettel is living in a dreamworld. To effectively be ahead of one Red Bull and both Renault’s on merit rather than a safety car or something shows excellent pace (although I appreciate that Gasly’s car starting on the soft tyre did help things in that instance).

Both cars pitted when the pace on the mediums started to drop off significantly so I don’t think that pitting too early can be levied as a criticism either. Certainly tyre wear at the end of the race had absolutely nothing to do with the result; Sainz was never finishing higher than 6th and Norris had plenty of rubber left for the fight with Ricciardo - just a lack of hydraulic pressure!

Plenty of optimism for Austria & Silverstone which both share numerous similarities with Paul Ricard.

geogate
geogate

riccardo got 5 sec penalty for lando incident...there may be more for the kimi incident (nope, i missed that included the kimi incident)
(nope nope, i was wrong that i was wrong, he got another 5 secs for kimi too)

Decision A time penalty of 5 seconds is imposed after the race (5 seconds added to the
elapsed race time).
2 penalty points imposed (total of 4 in the 12 month period)
Reason The Stewards reviewed video evidence and on-board video from multiple cars, heard
from the driver of car 3 (Daniel Ricciardo), the driver of car 4 (Lando Norris), the
driver of car 7 (Kimi Raikkonen) and team representatives. Ricciardo started to pass
Norris on the outside at turn 8. At the exit of the corner he distinctly left the track and
the Stewards determined that he re-joined at an angle that forced Norris off the track
to avoid the collision. The Stewards accepted Ricciardo’s explanation that when he
was re-joining the track, he had slowed considerably, going down extra gears and
locking up the front left tyre. He also stated that the rumble strips in the turn made the
car more difficult to control. However, the Stewards considered that the sequence of
events constituted re-joining the track unsafely, and he subsequently took the position
from Norris.
Competitors are reminded that they have the right to appeal certain decisions of the
Stewards, in accordance with Article 15 of the FIA International Sporting Code and
Article 9.1.1 of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules, within the applicable time limits.
Tim Mayer Mathieu Remmerie
Yannick Dalmas

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

6th and 9th... Still probably one of the best results we have had in a while?

It also helps in the WCC since if I’m not wrong, RIC finished now 11th :)

RS200E

Great result for Sainz and McLaren. Genuine speed.

I wish people would just shut up for a few days after the race and stop coming on here spewing their bile.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

geogate
geogate

think its 10 sec in all, he does seem to have got one for kimi too

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Yes, he got 2 - 5 second penalties... All considered, not a horrible outcome from the race.

Now on to Austria, where hopefully the package will also perform as well as it did in France... If the team can solidify a 4th place from here to the summer break, we could dream of fighting a little bit more upfront next year.

RS200E

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 19:48
Yes, he got 2 - 5 second penalties... All considered, not a horrible outcome from the race.

Now on to Austria, where hopefully the package will also perform as well as it did in France... If the team can solidify a 4th place from here to the summer break, we could dream of fighting a little bit more upfront next year.

Don't.
The power of Red Bull Powertrains!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

RS200E wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 19:48

Don't.
Why not? There has been a very important improvement, not only year on year, but so far this year... Mclaren has clearly cut the gap they had to the front so far (yes, still a long way to go)... But they have a base that is allowing them to continue to develop through the season, which they have done so far.

Having the same regulations for 2020 should allow them to continue to build on the 2019 car... I don’t see why we couldn’t dream of fighting for P3 next year... Dreaming is free, right? :)