2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Big Tea wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 18:31
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 18:23
Big Tea wrote:
Dont forget the DRS, which left him a sitting duck
He could only really use it to lap someone since he wasn’t really in DRS range of Carlos when it happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But he could stay behind Saiz if he had kept it. I know he had dropped back by the time he was passed, but he may not have been in that position if he had DRS earlier in the race. Had he stayed infront another 3 laps...
Not sure where you think he would have used the DRS? He never got closer than 1.5 seconds to Sainz. That leaves only lapping cars. Don't think he lapped anyone.

PhillipM
PhillipM

To be honest I think they already had hydraulic issues even when he was running behind Sainz - I noticed much earlier on in the race when Vettel was behind him that Norris' DRS wasn't opening even when he was close enough to Sainz, which let Vettel close up on him. You could really see the last 10 laps or so how much the leak affected the car though, he was taking two or three stabs at the steering wheel to try to get it to turn in with the diff locked up at some points. He probably would have still held onto 7th if Ricciardo hadn't got a bit too fiesty even with that - a bit unlucky but I don't think he'll be too upset with 9th really.
Last edited by PhillipM on 24 Jun 2019, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.

M840TR
M840TR

Bisonas wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 11:45
Great Race for Mclaren.
Boring but realistically executed. NOR may was a little bit faster than SAI overall but since he lost the position on the first lap , well that was it.
They where driving to a Delta the whole race , especially after the pit stop. They where racing GAS, RIC and RAI and they knew that after a few laps.
They had a lot more pace but they had no reason to push the tyres or the car trying to measure up against each other or VES, or delay by a few laps VET passing them.
That was probably the easiest P6 for SAI and one of the most boring races for him.
And it would have been the easiest P7 for NOR also if he didn't had his problems.
Overall a very encouraging race for Mclaren.
You're right about driving to the delta. Norris was 0.5 sec faster than Ric in Q3 and they could've easily pulled away into the sunset with that pace but the team played it cautious, rightly so.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Carlos confirming it was an “easy” P6. Some thought he was considerably slower than Lando in the race, but this wasn’t the case. Let’s not this is now Formula Saving, where you save tyres, batteries, PU life/mileage. You’re slower than the car in front, so you save everything.

https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/2486 ... -my-career
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:Carlos confirming it was an “easy” P6. Some thought he was considerably slower than Lando in the race, but this wasn’t the case. Let’s not this is now Formula Saving, where you save tyres, batteries, PU life/mileage. You’re slower than the car in front, so you save everything.

https://www.gptoday.net/en/news/f1/2486 ... -my-career
Which makes sense... The RBR is superior to the Mclaren, the “smart” race is to hold your position, don’t waste too much time or degrade your tires more than necessary trying to match his pace or defending against a faster car like Ferrari’s

I would argue that he may have overdone it a little bit, since Lando kept asking on the radio to have him up his pace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Carlos playing test driver during FP sessions, which is leaving him on the back foot, but he’s happy to sacrifice. Upgraded engines were available for McLaren, but team decided to stick with current spec, to minimise penalties. More info...

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ll-heraus/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

M840TR
M840TR

Ground Effect wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 17:15
Carlos playing test driver during FP sessions, which is leaving him on the back foot, but he’s happy to sacrifice. Upgraded engines were available for McLaren, but team decided to stick with current spec, to minimise penalties. More info...

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ll-heraus/
The difference between old and new engine is according to Hülkenberg about two tenths in the lap time.
Does that mean Mclaren was around 0.7 sec ahead of Renault considering chassis pace? Yikes...

PhillipM
PhillipM

I wonder if they'll take the upgraded engines for Silverstone? High speed track that should suit them and home GP to boot.
Might mean taking one early next time around 'cause I think they're nearing grid penalities for Sainz otherwise?

M840TR
M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 17:46
I wonder if they'll take the upgraded engines for Silverstone? High speed track that should suit them and home GP to boot.
Might mean taking one early next time around 'cause I think they're nearing grid penalities for Sainz otherwise?
He's on the brink. Lando has a bit more breathing space though. Maybe they're also waiting for any potential teething issues with the new PU that might emerge.

PhillipM
PhillipM

May be simply that it's not worth the penalty of course, they did say it's only really a handful more horsepower in the overtake/qualy mode.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

PhillipM wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 17:46
If they want to be in the best shape for Silverstone and have the new engines, then Carlos will have to take a penalty in Austria. Lando can take in Silverstone without a penalty. With Carlos testing “development parts” during FP’s, I think, or at least I hope they’re lining up something significant for Silverstone. I think they’ve got their own grandstand.

M840TR
M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 18:05
May be simply that it's not worth the penalty of course, they did say it's only really a handful more horsepower in the overtake/qualy mode.
Sky reported in their post-race analysis feature or something that it was only 0.05 sec (half a tenth). But AMuS says 20hp and 0.2 sec.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

M840TR wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 18:10
PhillipM wrote:
24 Jun 2019, 18:05
Sky reported in their post-race analysis feature or something that it was only 0.05 sec (half a tenth). But AMuS says 20hp and 0.2 sec.
Sky will always say stuff to downplay McLaren, and by association, Renault. Cyril said it was a good step, hence the reason why it was brought forward. I can’t see them altering the sequence for 0.05secs.

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Sainz:
The team is in a very good shape the race ream is performing great, and the car in the wind tunnel at the factory is alive.
https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/23363

Wonder what Sainz means by that

PhillipM
PhillipM

Silverstone updates I'd say, they want to be clear of the midfield by the summer break and they usually bring a fair package update for Silverstone.