Red Bull RB15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Godius

Re: Red Bull RB15

Godius wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 20:51
https://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/do ... -00230.jpg

Finding the engine mode dial was easy, the white dial would be positioned toward the right. But which dial could Verstappen his race engineer have meant with position 5? I reckon the pink mode dial which seems to manage the state of charge of the electrical power system.
From the video that FOM posted on YouTube yesterday you can decipher that the 'position' dial is indeed the pink one that controls the ERS deployment. Verstappen his race engineer specifically stated a SOC change in the video clip. It would have been in SOC mode - if the numbering is ascending, more deployment presumably.

ME4ME

Rake comparison, Max vs Bottas. I'd say visually the difference isn't that great at all, not like it is sometimes made out to be, or what it has been in previous years. Obviously we're talking single digit differences in angle.

Also nice detailed picture of the RB15:
Source: Racefans.net

roon
roon

Certainly the floor edge ahead of the rear tire is higher on the RB15. Using the wheel lip as a reference cast a line horizontal to it. The difference is about the height of the wheel lip, which is colored cyan on the Merc. That should equate to about 3cm/1in. The FW looks closer to the ground on the RB15, accordingly. We should rule out if either of the cars are pitching in these photos.

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Or it could be that they have been changing the setup and reducing the rake...

Sharnlarry
Sharnlarry

Godius wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 08:10
Godius wrote:
09 Jul 2019, 20:51
https://f1grandprix.motorionline.com/do ... -00230.jpg

Finding the engine mode dial was easy, the white dial would be positioned toward the right. But which dial could Verstappen his race engineer have meant with position 5? I reckon the pink mode dial which seems to manage the state of charge of the electrical power system.
From the video that FOM posted on YouTube yesterday you can decipher that the 'position' dial is indeed the pink one that controls the ERS deployment. Verstappen his race engineer specifically stated a SOC change in the video clip. It would have been in SOC mode - if the numbering is ascending, more deployment presumably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Joa5pWqnK4
You move the dial then you select the number (position 5) using the plus 1 button (press 5 times)

Pyrone89

Anyone seen anything new?
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Bargeboards close-up and some vortices coming off the rear wing (open in a new tab for hi-res)

LM10
LM10

RBR with a relatively slim RW. Does this mean that they already managed to put enough downforce on the car in order to be able to use such a RW and be faster on the straights? A bit like last year. If yes, that's quite impressive, if we consider that they were on the backfoot with their wrong concept (less downforce) which they were used to from the weak Renault engine times. At least that's what was reported.

zibby43
zibby43

Red Bull legality plank:

Verstappen's rear end and diffuser, post-crash:

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Got away quite lightly. The principal impact seemed be Vettel's nose and Max's rear tyre. Plenty of rubber on the nose box. A bit further to the side and Max would have lost a chunk of diffuser roof.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

etusch

Very lucky for those rear wing and rear suspension arms did not breake. Also for not have a puncture

HiddenIncome_

CLKGTR wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 22:31
Bargeboards close-up and some vortices coming off the rear wing (open in a new tab for hi-res)

https://maxf1.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... d-Bull.jpg

Wow, that image really shows how the waste-gate pipes are angled, with my limited knowledge I can only assume that's aero related?

humble sabot

Probably. My understanding was that they were to be by regulation parallel with the main exhaust outlet, specifically to limit their aerodynamic influence. Have the regs changed?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

roon
roon

They're roughly pointed in a similar fashion as some V8 and V10 era cars when they blew the RW. Surely this is an aero detail. Velocity and mass flow out of those wastegates should be quite high.

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Do you guys think teams also blow the air through the exhaust pipes (at least through wastegate pipes) when drivers are off throttle (like cold blowing in 2010 - 2013 V8 era) to boost downforce? Some weird noises can be heard off throttle, I'm not sure is that from cold blowing or something else.