2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Looking more likely to rain on Sunday. Friday will be hot, the rest of the weekend very different.
Saishū kōnā

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

godlameroso wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 13:57
Looking more likely to rain on Sunday. Friday will be hot, the rest of the weekend very different.
I’m intrigued to see how the MCL34 would handle in the wet. On the driver side, I believe both drivers shine in wet conditions. Carlos seems particularly competent in the wet-dry changing conditions.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Emag
Emag

Ground Effect wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 14:18
godlameroso wrote:
I’m intrigued to see how the MCL34 would handle in the wet. On the driver side, I believe both drivers shine in wet conditions. Carlos seems particularly competent in the wet-dry changing conditions.
Carlos was amazing in a wet quali last year (Hungary I believe). Not sure about Lando, he has done good in other series, so he will probably be good in F1 too. If we have a wet quali/race and the team executes it correctly, I believe we have the drivers to get some great points.

Jackles-UK

Surely if it rains, a car which is comparatively weak in slow speed corners will suffer more than those that are weak elsewhere? Mechanical grip is far more important to wet weather times than it is in the dry where the aero grip is king.

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

Jackles-UK wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 21:27
Surely if it rains, a car which is comparatively weak in slow speed corners will suffer more than those that are weak elsewhere? Mechanical grip is far more important to wet weather times than it is in the dry where the aero grip is king.
I believe it's the other way round. High downforce cars do better in the rain. The rain effects the mechanical grip of the car. So having more mechanical grip won't really help.

Andres125sx

I´d say both of you are correct, in the rain more corners become slow speed corners, so mechanical grip is key, but also drag become less of an issue, so cars with higher level of DF, even if it´s not very efficient, shine in the rain

McLaren don´t have good mechanical grip, and his current aero philosophy is efficiency, not peak DF, so I´d say the rain will not be good for McLaren

Marc.W

Emag wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 15:04
Ground Effect wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Carlos was amazing in a wet quali last year (Hungary I believe). Not sure about Lando, he has done good in other series, so he will probably be good in F1 too. If we have a wet quali/race and the team executes it correctly, I believe we have the drivers to get some great points.
His wet drive in Hungary was stunning

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

McLaren seems to have great traction out of the corners and did really well in a "point and shoot" track like Austria. I'd say not all is lost if there is a wet race.

gokarter
gokarter

I´d say both of you are correct, in the rain more corners become slow speed corners, so mechanical grip is key, but also drag become less of an issue, so cars with higher level of DF, even if it´s not very efficient, shine in the rain

McLaren don´t have good mechanical grip, and his current aero philosophy is efficiency, not peak DF, so I´d say the rain will not be good for McLaren
Mclaren should do well again. They themselves always believe they had a top class chassis , it was the engines that let them down always. it was honda before that let them down now its the renault engines.

bauc

gokarter wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 09:47

Mclaren should do well again. They themselves always believe they had a top class chassis , it was the engines that let them down always. it was honda before that let them down now its the renault engines.
@gokarter - I rated it down as I can see you are trying to start antoher Mclaren - Honda war on this thread.

Please stop it!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Vasconia

Marc.W wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 08:40
Emag wrote:
23 Jul 2019, 15:04
Ground Effect wrote:

His wet drive in Hungary was stunning
Carlos is usually very good in wet so it would be great to see him if it rains on Sunday.

Espresso
Espresso

Andres125sx wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 07:59

Agree but with a slightly different reasoning, the slow speed behavior and high speed behavior seems to be fine to me.

Just at mid-speed, in other words the transition between high and low speed, the car seems to loose some grip.
If they get that corrected the car should become more competitive.

And yes, this mid-speed behavior could be the Achilles heel at a wet race.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Xero

Mechanical grip comes in different forms. McLaren seem to struggle with lateral grip when the car rolls, but their traction and braking ability are among the best right now. In wet conditions I'd say the latter becomes more important as you tend to generate less roll in the car. I reckon they'd be just fine, I think they've improved the issue over the last few races. Think I mentioned this before, but Hockenheim is more reliant on traction in the first 2 sectors. The last sector will possibly hurt them though.

Darth-Piekus

gokarter wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 09:47

Mclaren must have hurt your feelings so much. In all seriousness that idiotic joke died the first 300 times.

diffuser

Xero wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 22:00
Mechanical grip comes in different forms. McLaren seem to struggle with lateral grip when the car rolls, but their traction and braking ability are among the best right now. In wet conditions I'd say the latter becomes more important as you tend to generate less roll in the car. I reckon they'd be just fine, I think they've improved the issue over the last few races. Think I mentioned this before, but Hockenheim is more reliant on traction in the first 2 sectors. The last sector will possibly hurt them though.
Probably track dependent too.