2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
GPR-A

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Pyrone89 wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 18:50
GPR -A wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 18:49
Pyrone89 wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 14:50

agree
An individual can't be eternally talented to conquer all horizons across generations of a sport, especially when technology is evolving at such a fast pace and building new generation race cars is not just about drawing board anymore.
As far as I know Newey also isnt the one doing the real designing anymore. Just thinking out concepts and being the director. The PHD students probably do the grunt work under supervision of the more senior designers .
Precisely that. Red Bull is NOT about an individual and neither is any other racing team in F1. Whoever has assembled best brains, stands the best chance to lead 2021. With the evidence of current competitive landscape, bet should be on Mercedes.

Pyrone89

GPR -A wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 18:52
Pyrone89 wrote:
GPR -A wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 18:49
An individual can't be eternally talented to conquer all horizons across generations of a sport, especially when technology is evolving at such a fast pace and building new generation race cars is not just about drawing board anymore.
As far as I know Newey also isnt the one doing the real designing anymore. Just thinking out concepts and being the director. The PHD students probably do the grunt work under supervision of the more senior designers .
Precisely that. Red Bull is NOT about an individual and neither is any other racing team in F1. Whoever has assembled best brains, stands the best chance to lead 2021. With the evidence of current competitive landscape, bet should be on Mercedes.
Notso much current landscape as rumored massive amount of designers Merc is said to have over other teams as said by Newey. I am therefor betting on continued dominance of which is why I have been saying Max should go to Merc asap (unlike you guys think, I dont hate the team).
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

GPR-A

Pyrone89 wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 18:59
GPR -A wrote:
Pyrone89 wrote:

Notso much current landscape as rumored massive amount of designers Merc is said to have over other teams as said by Newey. I am therefor betting on continued dominance of which is why I have been saying Max should go to Merc asap (unlike you guys think, I dont hate the team).
Quantity is useless if there is no quality. Ask Ferrari.

Because Mercedes option is so lucrative and Verstappen is itching to get into a winning car, Red Bull need a strong bargaining chip and who else can offer that other than Alonso. It would be foolish if Red Bull doesn't explore Alonso as Vettel is guaranteed to be continuing at Ferrari. There is no other driver on the grid who would be as competitive as Hamilton and Verstappen.
Last edited by GPR-A on 05 Aug 2019, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrone89

GPR -A wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 19:03
Pyrone89 wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 18:59
GPR -A wrote:
Quantity is useless if there is no quality. Ask Ferrari.
Ofcourse, you need both.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Bill
Bill

F1 will have a budget cap in 2021 so it's not clear which team will be top dog Mercedes will be compelled to cut down staff numbers.

marvin78
marvin78

That's the "dream". But I don't see that in reality. I still don't know how a Budget cap can be controlled. I think it's useless.

Capharol
Capharol

Full radio of Lewis during HungaryGP

Espresso
Espresso

Just found it on Reddit, some onboard from Sainz and a clue why Bottas spun off.

It just seems Bottas is onto Murphy's third law. (= Murphy is an optimist...)
Broken parts in Hockenheim, sliced by Charles in Budapest.
(and so so obviously Charles escapes again without penalty....but that's off-topic and more about biased vs unbiased judging in F1 :twisted: )

Seems prior to Bottas's crash in Hockenheim parts broke of his car.
Hit Sainz's front wing and ricocheted away.
(You can see Bottas in miniature in the top middle of the picture)

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... ermany_it/
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Bill wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 09:01
F1 will have a budget cap in 2021 so it's not clear which team will be top dog Mercedes will be compelled to cut down staff numbers.
The 2021 car will be designed next year under the "old system". You'd expect Mercedes to be up there on the basis tgag they can afford to throw more manpower at it earlier than others.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

turbof1

Espresso wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 09:45
Just found it on Reddit, some onboard from Sainz and a clue why Bottas spun off.

It just seems Bottas is onto Murphy's third law. (= Murphy is an optimist...)
Broken parts in Hockenheim, sliced by Charles in Budapest.
(and so so obviously Charles escapes again without penalty....but that's off-topic and more about biased vs unbiased judging in F1 :twisted: )

Seems prior to Bottas's crash in Hockenheim parts broke of his car.
Hit Sainz's front wing and ricocheted away.
(You can see Bottas in miniature in the top middle of the picture)

https://i.redd.it/gkpflf9z6rd31.png

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... ermany_it/
I'm getting Massa 2009 flashbacks all over this.
#AeroFrodo

Wynters
Wynters

Pyrone89 wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 12:51
Ocon has already shown his dark side in Spa, Baku and especially Brazil (I still think that was on purpose due to the history between VER and OCO)
Perez put Ocon into the wall in Spa, twice (not the last time he puts Ocon into a wall, either). Ocon was 100% at fault in Baku, you don't try and kiss the apex with a car alongside you on the inside, but he was never getting out of the crash intact so I'm not sure you can put it down as 'dark side', 'stupid side', perhaps. As for Brazil, see my comment in the previous sentence. Verstappen had unlapped himself in a previous race and scored points, setting the precedent that you never know what might happen in a race so why give up (K-Mag repeated that philosophy in his post-race interview with Will Buxton this weekend). As to him doing it on purpose, surely he wouldn't have tried to make the corner if he was doing it on purpose? You can see Max in the following Bahrain GP just open his steering so he can bang Ocon on his way past (RoGro/K-Mag style), a move I believe Verstappen admitted was deliberate, to see how it would be done. Or Perez crashing into Sirotkin in Singapore. Or Vettel into Hamilton at Baku to see what a deliberate impact looks like.

I know the Brazil incident really annoys a section of the F1 fan base, but to cast all those incidents as his fault and that one as deliberate is a difficult position to support.
Last edited by Wynters on 06 Aug 2019, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.

Wynters
Wynters

Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 18:26
Maybe I'm talking rubbish here, but I think if Verstappen is up for grabs, there is no way they let him race for another team. They will be working really hard to get him, even if that means they burn bridges with Ocon.
Agreed. I think Verstappen is the hottest property on the grid. Assuming he continues to learn and mature as he has since this point last season then he (due to his age) has many WDCs/WCCs in him than a much older Hamilton does. Best guess, Hamilton gets eight Championships before he retires, so three winning years to come. If Mercedes continues to be right at the front of the gird and Verstappen is put in a Silver Arrow in 2020/2021, how many Championships can he deliver before he retires? More than three? If so, he's a better investment than Hamilton is.

There's a lot of 'ifs' in my postulation, but they seem like risks that are worth taking from this side of the TV screen.
Pyrone89 wrote:
It would suprise me if Merc doesnt put Ocon on a 1 year + options for several years on Mercedes side. They have all the leverage, Ocon zero. That way they can get rid of him when they need the seat to open up. But even someone has a contract, it can always be bought of, and seeing that Ocon will make a relatively modest salary buying him of would be pennies for a team like Mercedes.
Agreed.
Last edited by Wynters on 06 Aug 2019, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

GPR-A

Wynters wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 13:45
Pyrone89 wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 12:51
Ocon has already shown his dark side in Spa, Baku and especially Brazil (I still think that was on purpose due to the history between VER and OCO)
Perez put Ocon into the wall in Spa (not the last time he puts Ocon into the wall, either). Ocon was 100% at fault in Baku, you don't try and kiss the apex with a car alongside you on the inside, but he was never getting out of the crash intact so I'm not sure you can put it down as 'dark side', 'stupid side', perhaps. As for Brazil, see my comment in the previous sentence. Verstappen had unlapped himself in a previous race and scored points, setting the precedent that you never know what might happen in a race so why give up (K-Mag repeated that philosophy in his post-race interview with Will Buxton this weekend). As to him doing it on purpose, surely he wouldn't have tried to make the corner if he was doing it on purpose? You can see Max in the following Bahrain GP just open his steering so he can bang Ocon on his way past (RoGro/K-Mag style), a move I believe Verstappen admitted was deliberate, to see how it would be done. Or Perez crashing into Sirotkin in Singapore. Or Vettel into Hamilton at Baku to see what a deliberate impact looks like.

I know the Brazil incident really annoys a section of the F1 fan base, but to cast all those incidents as his fault and that one as deliberate is a difficult position to support.
I use a simple analogy. Whatever incident Perez gets involved, he causes it. Period. It's not by chance that someone gets involved in so many incidents

Jolle
Jolle

I don't think it's fair or good to judge the young drivers like Ocon with the mistakes like these. As we've seen and still seeing with lots of young drivers, this happens. Verstappen was put under a magnifying glass, Leclerc has these offs, Hamilton, Senna, Schumacher and Vettel had their fair share of accidents in their junior years. What matters is pure racing craft, the rest will come with experience.

Wynters
Wynters

GPR -A wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 13:54
I use a simple analogy. Whatever incident Perez gets involved, he causes it. Period. It's not by chance that someone gets involved in so many incidents
I was referencing the Kimi / Ocon incident in Baku above, I'd forgotten about the Perez / Ocon crash there (apologies if that was the one you were referring to Pyrone89). That one was Ocon's fault. Didn't leave Perez enough room.

Every other time though I agree, Perez is...not a safe driver to race around. Whether it was putting Ocon into the wall (again) in Singapore, deliberately crashing into Sirotkin (I just cannot fathom what he was thinking) or what he did to Albon this weekend. Mind-boggling. I suppose he must bring enough speed and enough money to make up for the repairs and championship points lost.