2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Pany
Pany

Re: 2019 Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team

Since veestappen stays in redbull and since is certain ferrari must design a better car before changing drivers, is clear the only secure option for mercedes to replace Botta (if they really want to do it) is Riccardo. In addition Riccardo needs to move back quickly to a real Top team if he doesn't want end like Alonso. The circus would be better

ubuysa
ubuysa

Pany wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 09:58
Since veestappen stays in redbull and since is certain ferrari must design a better car before changing drivers, is clear the only secure option for mercedes to replace Botta (if they really want to do it) is Riccardo. In addition Riccardo needs to move back quickly to a real Top team if he doesn't want end like Alonso. The circus would be better
Daniel is only 4 years younger than Lewis and the same age as Bottas. I think Mercedes are looking to find a future replacement for Lewis and that means finding someone much younger than him. Occon is only 23.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

well on the "to Bottas or not to Bottas?" question I've just read a article on ESPN comparing Gasly's performance vs Verstappen. One of the metrics used to measure was a points% comparison.

Vet->Lec was .84 - This to me reflects the gap in points awarded between 3rd(15)-4th(12) and 4th(12)-5th(10) places.
Ham -> Bot was .75, now while this gap is larger, so too is the difference in points awarded to 1st(25)-2nd(18) places.

Now although Hamilton and Bottas aren't finishing 1-2 in every race and, YES, Bottas should be doing better, if Hamilton is the Merc lead driver then we can't really expect more from Bottas than to be at 75% of Hamiltons points tally.

I think so long as Bottas remains above Verstappen in the standings then he could easily keep hold of his seat for next year. Keep in mind too that Bottas has had a DNF and couple of bad races and he's still where he should be (points% to Ham) if Hamilton should be winning every race.

Just found that stat interesting, to me anyway.

Capharol
Capharol

KeiKo403 wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 14:06
well on the "to Bottas or not to Bottas?" question I've just read a article on ESPN comparing Gasly's performance vs Verstappen. One of the metrics used to measure was a points% comparison.

Vet->Lec was .84 - This to me reflects the gap in points awarded between 3rd(15)-4th(12) and 4th(12)-5th(10) places.
Ham -> Bot was .75, now while this gap is larger, so too is the difference in points awarded to 1st(25)-2nd(18) places.

Now although Hamilton and Bottas aren't finishing 1-2 in every race and, YES, Bottas should be doing better, if Hamilton is the Merc lead driver then we can't really expect more from Bottas than to be at 75% of Hamiltons points tally.

I think so long as Bottas remains above Verstappen in the standings then he could easily keep hold of his seat for next year. Keep in mind too that Bottas has had a DNF and couple of bad races and he's still where he should be (points% to Ham) if Hamilton should be winning every race.

can you give me a link to that article please?

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

I might have mentioned this before but IMHO Bottas deserves another year in the team easy. He is a proven race winner, pole winner, very good team player. Sure Hamilton is the golden boy right now but given the past performances Ocon has not really done anything to prove he's stellar material. He had his chance in Force India and never really impressed that much. I think he was hyped. I have not followed his career prior to F1 however. But that does not mean it's a yardstick indicate they will automatically do good in F1. Look at Pierre Gasly for example. He's a liability in his team at the moment. Bottas is having a slump right now but he will bounce back. I think he lacks stamina in the middle of the season. He always starts good out of the gate but runs out of the steam is my feeling. I have a feeling he will come back stronger than he is currently after the summer break. Ocon has not been in an F1 car for a year. That alone is a big liability. Cars have evolved quite a bit than what he was used to. He needs to go back to a Junior team or something unfortunately and start over. But of course that's easier said than done. I don't feel too bad for him. He was never really shining against Sergio Perez in Force India.

subcritical71

KeiKo403 wrote:

For the points you list, a comparison by %position would be better

Raleigh
Raleigh

Capharol wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 16:30
https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/27 ... im-reading

Capharol
Capharol

Raleigh wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 20:35
Capharol wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 16:30
https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/27 ... im-reading
thanks

cooken
cooken

Given Ocon's history of collisions with his teammate, I can't image how eager they are to put him alongside Hamilton. Especially after the drama with Rosberg.

AMG.Tzan

Why take an unproven driver inside a championship winning team?? Just to say that "look...now we also have a young star like Ferrari and RB"??? I mean Bottas is a proven poleman, winner, team player! Why would you choose someone else?
The only guy other than Bottas that Mercedes should be looking right now is Verstappen!! He is a proven talent and after all if Red Bull lose Verstappen i don't see them winning again any time soon...they've run out of talent i think...!
So it would a great strategic call to lure Verstappen in! On the other hand if Hamilton leaves Mercedes at the end of 2020 who is going to replace him??

Ocon just needs some more time in the midfield...just like Russell who i believe is much better than Ocon!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

subcritical71 wrote:
08 Aug 2019, 20:15
KeiKo403 wrote:

For the points you list, a comparison by %position would be better
Agreed, didn't know how quite to add it though without putting everything in brackets and then double brackets :) .

Points difference from:
5th(10) to 4th(12) is 83.3%
4th(12) to 3rd(15) is 80%
3rd(15) to 2nd(18) is 83.3%
2nd(18) to 1st(25) is 75%

I really don't think Merc need Ocon though, he's been out of a F1 seat for a year by the time 2020 testing comes around.

If Merc feel the need to replace Bottas then they should go bold, Ricciardo, Vettel or Verstappen. If they want to go for a driver who's been out of F1 for 1 year+ then go hyper-bold and look at Alonso or Rosberg.

Turth be told, from a driver point of view I think Bottas ticks the necessary boxes and doesn't seem to be causing any rifts in the team like the above named drivers might. Could he have a bit more personality? maybe.
We don't really hear from him during races like we do with Hamilton though, but that's probably down to the F1 world feed and directors.

Phil

How good Ocon is, can only be evaluated by putting him in a car alongside a known benchmark. The problem is, there is no seat to put him in; it’s either the Mercedes seat or lose the exclusivity on him by giving him up to another team.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

GPR-A

KeiKo403 wrote:
09 Aug 2019, 10:14
I really don't think Merc need Ocon though, he's been out of a F1 seat for a year by the time 2020 testing comes around.

If Merc feel the need to replace Bottas then they should go bold, Ricciardo, Vettel or Verstappen. If they want to go for a driver who's been out of F1 for 1 year+ then go hyper-bold and look at Alonso or Rosberg.

Turth be told, from a driver point of view I think Bottas ticks the necessary boxes and doesn't seem to be causing any rifts in the team like the above named drivers might. Could he have a bit more personality? maybe.
We don't really hear from him during races like we do with Hamilton though, but that's probably down to the F1 world feed and directors.
Mercedes is looking for future beyond Lewis. They can safely experiment while he is still there. That rules out the likes of Rosberg and Alonso.

Can Bottas beat the likes of Max, Leclerc or Riccardo? Answer is no. With Lewis out of picture, Mercedes can't depend upon Bottas to lead.

Riccardo is good option. But he isn't as good as Max in qualifying and in 2018, Max beat him in races too. Good option for the lead role, but not best.

That leaves ONLY Max as the best option of the available drivers. THAT is a problem for Mercedes. They can't afford to be in bargain with Max without having explored, unexplored options, where there might be a possibility of finding another exciting talent like Leclerc. If they do find one with either Ocon or Russell, they will be in commanding position if and when they bargain with Max, IF that is necessary.

With Bottas being proven a good No. 2, they cant afford to be waiting for Max thing to happen. If RB Honda becomes neck and neck in 2020, it would be even more difficult for Mercedes to bargain with Max. So, it's good to have experimented and be prepared, while they can.

Both Alonso and Mika did a year off from F1 in their formative years, before becoming champions. A year off is not necessarily a bad thing.

SiLo

I think the Germany results for Merc are skewing a lot of things recently. It was quite a big swing in terms of points towards Verstappen.
Felipe Baby!

sprint car76
sprint car76

I think it's in bottas best interest to go to another team. How many years do you want to get beat before your reputation is screwed. The difference points wise is getting worse every year. He still has a chance now to get a decent ride. There will be some rides open this year so i think this is his best chance to change teams