2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mattchu

Re: 2019 Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

ESPImperium wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 23:51
Its a arms race out there in F1. Ross Brawn had it right, the regulations should have been delayed till 2021 with a budget cap in 2020. I personally, think that chassis teams need to be limited to 1,000 staff, and again, trying to get this figured out may be difficult.
It`s been like this for a long time, those who spend most get the best staff, best equipment, etc, etc, then end up at the sharp end of the grid. 2012 [Maldonado for Williams in the Spanish GP, Kimi for Lotus Renault in Abu Dhabi] was the last time I can recall the lesser teams had a chance at a podium/win, there where six different teams that won that year, when else has that happened in the "modern" era! I know this was a lot to do with the tyres, nothing changed there then...

Anyway, good post, I do hope McLaren can get back up there fighting for podiums/wins although I just can`t see it for a good few years while the big 3 are still around, unless they come up with something no one else has thought of.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Even though I agree that it will take some time for McLaren to get back to a winning position, I believe that stating a year for that to happen is too much of an stretch.

With new regulations in 2021 the pecking order could very a lot... The current top 3 are of course primed to keep their advantage over the rest of the field, but that doesn’t mean that other teams might not get it “right” and join that club as early as 2021.

Having a larger budget to develop the next generation of cars is definitely an advantage, but not necessarily a guarantee of a winning car... Ferrari is proof of this, with the largest budget and a very good engine, they are still behind Mercedes... RBR also have a very large budget and seems to also lag behind Mercedes.

We also experience it in the midfield, where a team like Racing Point has been in contention with a smaller budget than the likes of Renault and McLaren.

The 2021 change in regulations opens the door to make a jump up the order... If McLaren will be able to take advantage of that opportunity as early as 2021 or need more time to get back to the front is still an unknown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diffuser

I presume there will be layoffs at the end of 2020. Wondering if they require gardening leave... sure many of the midfield will be interested in what the top 3 are doing.

godlameroso

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 Sep 2019, 14:34
Even though I agree that it will take some time for McLaren to get back to a winning position, I believe that stating a year for that to happen is too much of an stretch.

With new regulations in 2021 the pecking order could very a lot... The current top 3 are of course primed to keep their advantage over the rest of the field, but that doesn’t mean that other teams might not get it “right” and join that club as early as 2021.

Having a larger budget to develop the next generation of cars is definitely an advantage, but not necessarily a guarantee of a winning car... Ferrari is proof of this, with the largest budget and a very good engine, they are still behind Mercedes... RBR also have a very large budget and seems to also lag behind Mercedes.

We also experience it in the midfield, where a team like Racing Point has been in contention with a smaller budget than the likes of Renault and McLaren.

The 2021 change in regulations opens the door to make a jump up the order... If McLaren will be able to take advantage of that opportunity as early as 2021 or need more time to get back to the front is still an unknown

I could have sworn it was Mercedes who spends the most.
Saishū kōnā

Jackles-UK

A big change of regulations usually results in the biggest spenders getting to the top, not the other way around. The best equipment, the finest minds, the biggest teams - the more money they can spend on all this the more likely they’ll be able to figure out the Rubik’s cube and be back at the top.

Brawn were an unlikely exception to an extent but it shouldn’t be overlooked that Honda had poured hundreds of millions of dollars into that car after their average (if we’re being polite!) 2006-08 showings and Brawn were able to get lucky with the double diffuser loophole. Putting everything on the 2021 regulation change would be a bad idea for that reason; the cost cap will help level the playing field but only after a period of normalisation across the paddock.

Lucky
Lucky

diffuser

Don't like the word develop. They will have more money for the initial car "design". Once the 2021 calendar year arrives, funds and man power will be limited for continued car development.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

So, the team is bringing changes, with the floor being the only visible change, the rest hidden, according to Seidl. Can’t provide a link for this, saw it as a comment on the autosport forum. From all indications, it’s from AMuS. For a track like Singapore, what could be these under skin changes be, any suggestions?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:So, the team is bringing changes, with the floor being the only visible change, the rest hidden, according to Seidl. Can’t provide a link for this, saw it as a comment on the autosport forum. From all indications, it’s from AMuS. For a track like Singapore, what could be these under skin changes be, any suggestions?
Probably continuous development of the POU, the new upper wishbone mounting and some changes to the suspension could be in order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

Racing Point is said to be bringing a big upgrade.

_cerber1

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The MCL34 looks amazing under the lights!

Hoping there will be more pace on FP2 from the team... They seemed to be testing a few things in FP1

Marc.W

Seems to be some inherent pace in the car again this weekend, 7th and 9th in FP2

Capharol
Capharol

Marc.W wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 15:54
Seems to be some inherent pace in the car again this weekend, 7th and 9th in FP2
longruns doesn't look that good tho

_cerber1

Capharol wrote:
20 Sep 2019, 16:44
longruns doesn't look that good tho
They were given the task to drive as many laps on red tires as possible, I think that's why they were in no hurry.