2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jaisonas
Jaisonas

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Well, Redbull seemed to have won the development race in Austria but after what Ferrari did today im sure Newey wont sit with his arms crossed. Its clear that RedBull does not have the best chassis and engine.
My only hope is that they were using a spec2/3 for the power, cause it seemed a bit underwhelming. That or they are waiting for fuel and intake in Russia to turn things up.

Team improvements taken from reddit.

JordanMugen

Marti_EF3 wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 16:59
No one said anything wrong with Ferrari. We're talking about how RBR and Honda are doing
Where do you suppose the RB15 is lacking?

From Verstappen's FP2 onboard, there did not appear to be anything wrong with the handling of RB15. :?:

I suppose Red Bull's level of performance is fine, and simply that Ferrari have pulled clear with their upgrade worth supposedly 4-tenths. Therefore all credit to Ferrari. =D>

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

JordanMugen wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 17:05
Marti_EF3 wrote:
No one said anything wrong with Ferrari. We're talking about how RBR and Honda are doing
Besides the obvious, overall grip. If you compare Leclerc's onboard with Max's, Ferrari is planted through the last corner while Max drifts outside the track over the curbs.
Cant make videos on this setup i am so we'll have to wait Juzh.

hasika
hasika

Really confused by the performance of RBR and Ferrari.
How can Ferrari so fast in this type of track,still very fast in the straights but not slow in the corners anymore...this is not Monza
...We all think RB15 will be strong in this track but....Well

loner

hasika wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 17:29
Really confused by the performance of RBR and Ferrari.
How can Ferrari so fast in this type of track,still very fast in the straights but not slow in the corners anymore...this is not Monza
...We all think RB15 will be strong in this track but....Well
underwhelming indeed for RBR and impressive of course from the ferrari , now it seems they have the power and the chassis a frightening compo.
para bellum.

Bill
Bill

According to Max he was sliding around no grip and they were competitive in monza than here. It's a street circuit the role of the engine is much low when was the last time Rbr brought a big upgrade Ferrari did so in Hungary and Singapore.Blaming the pu is pretty silly Rbr have been boosting about their great chassis on a track were it pay a lot they were caught wanting

Marti_EF3

JordanMugen wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 17:05
Marti_EF3 wrote:

From Verstappen's FP2 onboard, there did not appear to be anything wrong with the handling of RB15. :?:

I suppose Red Bull's level of performance is fine, and simply that Ferrari have pulled clear with their upgrade worth supposedly 4-tenths. Therefore all credit to Ferrari. =D>
Both sides is lacking. Mercedes and RB seems on the same 0.3 gap. Is Ferrari improving a lot with the upgrades. Don't know if RB will bring more updates, but they must. Because I think Ferrari will be strong on all tracks now, at least on 1 lap pace.

ME4ME

Considering that in any season over the past view years Red Bull were always expected to be at-best at tracks like Monaco, Hungary, Singapore and Mexico, today was a let-down. Getting thouroughly beaten by Ferrari which car is considered to be the polar opposite is pretty disappointed at a track like this. The competition is improving and so must Red Bull. I personally lay none of the blame for todays result at Honda's feet. The RB15 should be much closer to its rivals on power than the RB14 was last year, yet the magic wasn't happening today.

Makes me think that the cars sweet spot has shifted from slow speed high downforce tracks to medium-to-high speed tracks. Silverstone, Austria and to a certain extent Monza and some of Verstappens laps in free air point to that. Monaco was not bad but not great. Hungary was good, yet they had to sacrifice bigger part of the engines duty cyle count to fight Hamilton.

Still think some of the cars characteristics including a slightly nervous rear end remain. Probably baked into the DNA of the RB15. It's certainly not the downforce monster that the end-of-season RB14 was. Seeing both Gasly and now also Albon so far off the pace both highlights the good job that Verstappen is doing, but also some shortcomings of the car.

Bill
Bill

Yes Rbr is an upper midfield car made to look great by Max

godzi
godzi

My God, what are all these pessimists, we're living in an incredible time, where everything has to go very fast, and if it doesn't work, we throw you at the stake! Small reminder, the spec 3 in France is disappointing, we know the rest in Austria, even if it is a difficult circuit, we know very well that the RB15 is much more comfortable in racing! Let's wait a little while and keep a cool head 😉

KelsO
KelsO

ME4ME wrote:
21 Sep 2019, 18:46
Considering that in any season over the past view years Red Bull were always expected to be at-best at tracks like Monaco, Hungary, Singapore and Mexico, today was a let-down. Getting thouroughly beaten by Ferrari which car is considered to be the polar opposite is pretty disappointed at a track like this. The competition is improving and so must Red Bull. I personally lay none of the blame for todays result at Honda's feet. The RB15 should be much closer to its rivals on power than the RB14 was last year, yet the magic wasn't happening today.

Makes me think that the cars sweet spot has shifted from slow speed high downforce tracks to medium-to-high speed tracks. Silverstone, Austria and to a certain extent Monza and some of Verstappens laps in free air point to that. Monaco was not bad but not great. Hungary was good, yet they had to sacrifice bigger part of the engines duty cyle count to fight Hamilton.

Still think some of the cars characteristics including a slightly nervous rear end remain. Probably baked into the DNA of the RB15. It's certainly not the downforce monster that the end-of-season RB14 was. Seeing both Gasly and now also Albon so far off the pace both highlights the good job that Verstappen is doing, but also some shortcomings of the car.
What was the temperature in Singapore and what was the temperature of the asphalt? Ferrari hot weather helps, maybe this happened again? Could it be a party mode? Suspension? I did not expect such a result. Obviously, the Red Bull chassis does not demonstrate the superiority of recent years. Absolutely, it's not PU's fault. I hope tomorrow will be a good start, he finally needs to happen.

Bill
Bill

Last year Rbr was on average was 0.7 tenth slower on pole on a normal track but on street tracks they will be on front row. These year since Austria they have been around 0.2 tenth from pole , with that in mind you expect them to do significantly better on a street circuit with better engine.

Wouter

MAX:
Before the weekend we hoped to qualify higher than the second row but as soon as we were on track we quickly realised that Ferrari and Mercedes were very fast. Yesterday you could see that we all had more to come but clearly they stepped it up more than we did and we didn’t have the pace to challenge for pole. Balance wise the car felt pretty decent but we just didn’t have enough grip which we need to look into. I didn’t expect Ferrari to be on pole but they did a really good job and we will have to work harder. We came here wanting to fight for the front row and P4 feels a bit disappointing on a track like this where we hoped to be quicker but it was the best we could do and at least we are ahead of one Mercedes. Let’s see, as anything can happen in the race tomorrow.
ALEX:
I felt like the car was getting away from me a little bit in Q1 and I was chasing a bit of balance. Then towards the final run we changed a few things, the set-up felt better and I started to get my confidence back as the car’s performance improved. That’s all part of the learning curve and I’m understanding more and more about how to make the car go faster around this track. Strategy will be important tomorrow and the tyres don’t look like they’re holding on that well. The track is also very technical so I’m expecting a long, hard race. Of course I would have liked to have finished a little higher up today and there is still work to do, but overall I felt it wasn’t a bad result. I will focus on the positives and take a cold bath before the race and be ready to fight from P6.
Image :D
The Power of Dreams!

auv
auv

RB15 is half a second down from RB14, while TR gained nearly 0.9 sec. And Mercedes times are degraded too.
Wrong setup ? Unpredicted tyres' performance, maybe ?

Marti_EF3

I also expected them to do well on Bahréin, and it was a disaster. Maybe its one of that off races that sometime happens (wrong setup directions, etc)

But, on the other hand, maybe they expected to be right there with the Mercs, and did a setup too focused on race pace, and then Ferrari came and owned every one. I think Mercedes was caught by surprise too...