[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
etsmc
etsmc

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Finaly getting some good numbers from my car now its not failing to run simulations.
At the moment it would have put me right in the mid field for both races.. if i can get a bit more cooling that would be nice but it seems its either cooling or front downforce.

Well done to everyone so far some impressive cars and good improvement

LVDH

Congratulations to CAEdevice, he took victory and is once more leading the championship. This might get boring you guys have to keep up. The interesting thing is that two new teams are right behind him. Variante will for sure also prey on him. I have updated the homepage, it is now good with tables:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/results-singapore-2019/
I like the idea of publishing the rake angle, just give me until next race to implement that.

rjsa wrote:
22 Sep 2019, 22:52
Hello guys!

Congrats Matteo!

Questions, the mvrc_long is killing me:

Are there ways to:
See charts along the processing for cm/cl/cd?
Make it stop with like 4000 steps during processing and still get a valid solution and a report?
Make a finished run go longer?

TKS!
I am not sure if I understand you 100%. Just drop me an email and I can partially help you. Plots during run time are coming soon!

wb92

LVDH wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 12:24
Congratulations to CAEdevice, he took victory and is once more leading the championship. This might get boring you guys have to keep up. The interesting thing is that two new teams are right behind him. Variante will for sure also prey on him. I have updated the homepage, it is now good with tables:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/results-singapore-2019/
I like the idea of publishing the rake angle, just give me until next race to implement that.
Actually there should be 3 new teams right behind CAEdevice and Variante, as on the video with results PurePower racing has penalty, and on the website not, which results in 5th place instead of 7th. (1:49.13 vs 1:48.05).

While it comes to penalties - how much drop of the engine power is it with penalty?

Ahh... rake until next race... I thought actually to get that information before Japan submission :P
MVRC - WBRacing

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 12:24
Congratulations to CAEdevice, he took victory and is once more leading the championship. This might get boring you guys have to keep up.
Thanks!

Why boring? You forgot that about a year passed from my latest victory and that last year both Variante and JJR were much stronger then me and they both beat CAEdevice in the final classification.

Variante car is impressive considering how complicated it is and that is has been designed from scratch in a few weeks. On the contrary I am a bit disappointed by WWInc and GGB ;)

jjn9128

CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 13:23
On the contrary I am a bit disappointed by WWInc and GGB ;)
Me too, the bloody thing isn't doing what I want. Wing's are about CzS = 0.2-0.3 lower than they should be.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

CAEdevice

jjn9128 wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 13:31
CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 13:23
On the contrary I am a bit disappointed by WWInc and GGB ;)
Me too, the bloody thing isn't doing what I want. Wing's are about CzS = 0.2-0.3 lower than they should be.
Are your reference numbers produced by 2500 or more iterations? The solver used for the races has more iterations than the standard MVRC template. It does not affect the cars (as mine) that completely converge in less 2500 iterations.

jjn9128

CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 13:37
Are your reference numbers produced by 2500 or more iterations? The solver used for the races has more iterations than the standard MVRC template. It does not affect the cars (as mine) that completely converge in less 2500 iterations.
I have to run the fast option which converges quite quickly. The difference between race and my tests was fairly small - cooling excluded but I've fixed the mesh on my cooling monitors now so hopefully that will be closer. So the problem isn't a difference my tests to race, but that the car I'm testing doesn't seem to be producing the results I'd expect. I added strakes under the front wing but they don't appear to be producing any sort of vortex. Now that could be the mesh fidelity in the fast option but it's undesirable to take that risk. I'm at a bit of a loss, but I guess fixing cooling would jump me more significantly up the table than adding downforce at the moment.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

CAEdevice

Be careful with the fast option: it not only has reduced iterations, but also different mesh settings (base mesh size).

What I am not mastering yet (like Variante can do on the contrary) are vortices. I have problems with the rake too. Cooling is good, but it comes from my LMPx old cars.

jjn9128

CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:08
Be careful with the fast option: it not only has reduced iterations, but also different mesh settings (base mesh size).

What I am not mastering yet (like Variante can do on the contrary) are vortices. I have problems with the rake too. Cooling is good, but it comes from my LMPx old cars.
Yeah but if I can't run the other options I'm rather limited.
#aerogandalf

CAEdevice

jjn9128 wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:11
CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:08

Yeah but if I can't run the other options I'm rather limited.
Maybe it can help: this year I am not using all the CPU power I could use last year (I also need my PC for FEM simulations) and when I could not run a full simulation I obtained better (preliminary) results with custom settings (ex. base cell size bigger than "standard" but smaller than "fast") and with only 2000 iterations. The "fast" option is too far from the official one.

jjn9128

CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:20
Maybe it can help: this year I am not using all the CPU power I could use last year (I also need my PC for FEM simulations) and when I could not run a full simulation I obtained better (preliminary) results with custom settings (ex. base cell size bigger than "standard" but smaller than "fast") and with only 2000 iterations. The "fast" option is too far from the official one.
What settings are you using? Can you screenshot?
#aerogandalf

CAEdevice

jjn9128 wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:25
What settings are you using? Can you screenshot?

When possibile I run a final "official" simulation for the fine tuning.

jjn9128

CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:38
You start from the MVRC or fast option as a base?
#aerogandalf

CAEdevice

jjn9128 wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:39
CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:38
You start from the MVRC or fast option as a base?
MVRC standard

jjn9128

CAEdevice wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 14:41
Thanks, I'll give it a go, see if my computer can handle it.
#aerogandalf