2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
saviour stivala
-14
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by saviour stivala » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:47 pm

Doesn’t the FW42 have power steering?.

izzy
22
User avatar
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by izzy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:53 pm

trinidefender wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:33 pm
F1 cars do use power steering.
oh yes, why did I think they don't? #-o anyway here's Lewis in 2017 talking through his lap and the adjustments he's making
[media]https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... nsightful/[/media]

Scorpaguy
10
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 am

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by Scorpaguy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:52 am

Abject sabotage from Williams does not seem to be likely. Inadvertent and indirect sabotage from the team is, on the other hand, quite possible. However, even that seems unlikely...since Kub is bringing in all the cash, I would think it would be he that gets the goodies (with Rus sucking hind tit). Hell, Rus was nobody last year...and a Kub renaissance would have ben huge for CW.

What we do know is that William's began the year in a manner that would make abortions look classy and professional. Aspects of their operations (ie pitstops) are top notch. Paddy has still not been replaced (Patrick is no TP or TD). Construction quality of the car at times has been overtly abysmal. And now, they lack the parts to keep the cars slowly circling the track.

...and Rus is 1second quicker than Kub.

Good grief I want answers...why the sophomoric start? Why the slow speeds? Are Polish politics influencing team ops? Is Toto paying CW to elevate Rus? Have Russian operatives infiltrated the team to sabotage ops to devalue it...making for a cheaper purchase for Mazepin.

While it seems I cannot hope for a Kub performance highlight this season, I am hoping for a great tell-all book post season.

Manoah2u
383
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by Manoah2u » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Some earlier reports about Kubica @ Williams when there was speculation they'd terminate their deal early with Williams (July 2019)
The contract with Williams has been signed for the whole F1 racing season and is strictly related to Robert Kubica’s participation in F1. It also provides for an option to extend its term for another year.”

PKN Orlen would not be drawn on any further specifics of Kubica’s deal, only instead saying that the financing from them comes with ‘obligations’ from Williams.

The statement continued: “The contract precisely defines the terms of financing and the obligations of Williams.

“However, since its contents are protected by a confidentiality clause, we are not in a position to disclose any details.”
now let's take this in concideration.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/spon ... t/4551931/
Robert Kubica's sponsor has questioned the reason given by the Williams Formula 1 team for the Pole's retirement from the Russian Grand Prix.

in its post-race press release the team clarified that the stoppage was not due to safety reasons, but to save parts

Following the retirement of Robert Kubica from Sunday's Russian GP, we have officially asked the ROKiT Williams Racing team for an explanation. Based on that we will take steps to enforce contractual obligations."
As for sabotaging Kubica, it's a clear example.
Russell gets the goodies, Kubica doesn't. Kubica has to retire his car so that Russell can get his parts.
It's insulting to the bone.

and as for different material, and russell getting the better treatment, that has been going on since race 1.

there's a claim that Kubica was denied updated parts because Williams supposedly lacked the funds due to them needing to provide an altered steering wheel for Kubica to better operate the car.
Now offcourse a steering wheel today is pretty sophisticated, but if it's really true that Williams lacked funds to do both, then that's not just alarming, it's sirens being heard. Renault for example did just that for JUST a test session for Kubica, and Williams can't finance a steering wheel and handing in new parts for Robert?

Also if you concider that they decide to spare parts for the overseas final stint for the 2019 season, then dear god,
they must be in absolute dismal shape.

There was a time during the early part of the season where i thought Williams found a better road, especially with Patrick Head stepping back in, but i must conclude now that even that didn't help a thing and that we are facing the claim i made at the start: that this team won't make the final race. :wtf:

Even though i find that to be unlikely, fact is by now, big questions are raised.
After all, let's be fair here: if their future isn't in clouds and doubt, and they will be having a 2020 competitor,
then why park Kubica's car in Russia, and be saving parts for the final races in 2019?

Williams is losing PKN Orlen for 2020, and who is gonna replace that? They lost Stroll money, now Kubica money.
don't they wake up? They're worse than in 2018, and 2020 can only be worse, the guy to replace Kubica must bring in atleast triple what Kubica brings in sponsorwise, as the fact is kubica/orlen's money doesn't do.

And that's also concidering Rokit stays. How much did Rokit bring them? and are they going to continue into 2020?
Whatever Rokit brought, is not enough. And i doubt they are happy to pay more, after sponsoring a team all the way at the back of the field.

And mind you, again, that is a sponsor that was only hastely chosen because Haas robbed RICH ENERGY from them.
I think it's doubtfull Rich Energy will come back to sponsor Williams, after their disappointment with Haas, but even then, if they'd even remotely have interest in coming back to F1, then i also wonder in which format? Lightning Volt? Rich?

If Williams' situation looks brighter for 2020 than this season, then we would have read and heard about that. We haven't, and they are struggling to participate in the final races. That means there is no big new sponsor coming up.
There is no big paying driver coming for 2020 to fill in the Kubica gap. And there is no sponsor present, either staying or replacing, that is bringing enough finances for Williams to say that they're approaching the end of 2019 with their losses and focus for 2020 which will be a lot better.

As for the Latifi claims, yeah, let's realise some stuff too, and that is that even if the guy will get superlicense points, who's to say they're actually going for Williams, in the way they're in right now?
Hell, i'd actually expect Latifi's money (which is like Stroll money) to go to Haas instead, with a 2020 reserve driver role and a 2021 race role.

Who with their sane minds would concider Williams right now?

Even Sirotkin needs to be given a question mark. Would they want to return to Williams after getting ditched? And obviously not bringing enough money either for Williams to improve but instead sink further away?

To be honest, I can see this ending in one scenario:
Williams is going to fold UNLESS something drastic is going to happen. And that hasn't happened yet and arguably is not going to happen. SO, Williams IS going to fold. Only then to be saved in a sort of 'Racing Point' scenario; and i can actually see Toto Wolff stepping in 'again' buying into the team and make some changes, where we will finally see that Claire will be relieved of Duty, Frank will be honored in a role more or less like Lauda had, and only Patrick Head will temporarily remain. Wolff then will turn Williams into some sort of B-team and flow Mercedes personell and knowledge there. Some sponsors will be arranged, Russell will stay, and some other driver will be placed. Williams will be re-structured and refreshed in the coming 3 years and then when they're in a much better position, Toto will once again sell his stake in the team, or, the time will come where he will leave AMG and go on fully with Williams, who knows.

But what i'm saying is, Williams' only saving can be what happened with ForceIndia/Racing Point. If not, then it's Williams out of F1, no doubt. Whether they then participate in Formula E or something else, the future will show.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

Espresso
36
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by Espresso » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Scorpaguy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:52 am
... (with Rus sucking hind tit). ....
You had a few typos. Don't feel guilty. I don't mind it at all.

But you need to help me out. But I got confused reading the following bit. :(
What did you mean with: 'with Rus sucking hind tit'

....the only plausible interpretations I could make was it was in regard to CW and you ment:
'1: with RUS sucking her tit'
'2: with RUS sucking her (be)hind and tit'
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

PowerandtheGlory
9
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:52 am

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by PowerandtheGlory » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Manoah2u wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:52 pm
Some earlier reports about Kubica @ Williams when there was speculation they'd terminate their deal early with Williams (July 2019)
The contract with Williams has been signed for the whole F1 racing season and is strictly related to Robert Kubica’s participation in F1. It also provides for an option to extend its term for another year.”

PKN Orlen would not be drawn on any further specifics of Kubica’s deal, only instead saying that the financing from them comes with ‘obligations’ from Williams.

The statement continued: “The contract precisely defines the terms of financing and the obligations of Williams.

“However, since its contents are protected by a confidentiality clause, we are not in a position to disclose any details.”
now let's take this in concideration.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/spon ... t/4551931/
Robert Kubica's sponsor has questioned the reason given by the Williams Formula 1 team for the Pole's retirement from the Russian Grand Prix.

in its post-race press release the team clarified that the stoppage was not due to safety reasons, but to save parts

Following the retirement of Robert Kubica from Sunday's Russian GP, we have officially asked the ROKiT Williams Racing team for an explanation. Based on that we will take steps to enforce contractual obligations."
As for sabotaging Kubica, it's a clear example.
Russell gets the goodies, Kubica doesn't. Kubica has to retire his car so that Russell can get his parts.
It's insulting to the bone.

and as for different material, and russell getting the better treatment, that has been going on since race 1.

there's a claim that Kubica was denied updated parts because Williams supposedly lacked the funds due to them needing to provide an altered steering wheel for Kubica to better operate the car.
Now offcourse a steering wheel today is pretty sophisticated, but if it's really true that Williams lacked funds to do both, then that's not just alarming, it's sirens being heard. Renault for example did just that for JUST a test session for Kubica, and Williams can't finance a steering wheel and handing in new parts for Robert?

Also if you concider that they decide to spare parts for the overseas final stint for the 2019 season, then dear god,
they must be in absolute dismal shape.

There was a time during the early part of the season where i thought Williams found a better road, especially with Patrick Head stepping back in, but i must conclude now that even that didn't help a thing and that we are facing the claim i made at the start: that this team won't make the final race. :wtf:

Even though i find that to be unlikely, fact is by now, big questions are raised.
After all, let's be fair here: if their future isn't in clouds and doubt, and they will be having a 2020 competitor,
then why park Kubica's car in Russia, and be saving parts for the final races in 2019?

Williams is losing PKN Orlen for 2020, and who is gonna replace that? They lost Stroll money, now Kubica money.
don't they wake up? They're worse than in 2018, and 2020 can only be worse, the guy to replace Kubica must bring in atleast triple what Kubica brings in sponsorwise, as the fact is kubica/orlen's money doesn't do.

And that's also concidering Rokit stays. How much did Rokit bring them? and are they going to continue into 2020?
Whatever Rokit brought, is not enough. And i doubt they are happy to pay more, after sponsoring a team all the way at the back of the field.

And mind you, again, that is a sponsor that was only hastely chosen because Haas robbed RICH ENERGY from them.
I think it's doubtfull Rich Energy will come back to sponsor Williams, after their disappointment with Haas, but even then, if they'd even remotely have interest in coming back to F1, then i also wonder in which format? Lightning Volt? Rich?

If Williams' situation looks brighter for 2020 than this season, then we would have read and heard about that. We haven't, and they are struggling to participate in the final races. That means there is no big new sponsor coming up.
There is no big paying driver coming for 2020 to fill in the Kubica gap. And there is no sponsor present, either staying or replacing, that is bringing enough finances for Williams to say that they're approaching the end of 2019 with their losses and focus for 2020 which will be a lot better.

As for the Latifi claims, yeah, let's realise some stuff too, and that is that even if the guy will get superlicense points, who's to say they're actually going for Williams, in the way they're in right now?
Hell, i'd actually expect Latifi's money (which is like Stroll money) to go to Haas instead, with a 2020 reserve driver role and a 2021 race role.

Who with their sane minds would concider Williams right now?

Even Sirotkin needs to be given a question mark. Would they want to return to Williams after getting ditched? And obviously not bringing enough money either for Williams to improve but instead sink further away?

To be honest, I can see this ending in one scenario:
Williams is going to fold UNLESS something drastic is going to happen. And that hasn't happened yet and arguably is not going to happen. SO, Williams IS going to fold. Only then to be saved in a sort of 'Racing Point' scenario; and i can actually see Toto Wolff stepping in 'again' buying into the team and make some changes, where we will finally see that Claire will be relieved of Duty, Frank will be honored in a role more or less like Lauda had, and only Patrick Head will temporarily remain. Wolff then will turn Williams into some sort of B-team and flow Mercedes personell and knowledge there. Some sponsors will be arranged, Russell will stay, and some other driver will be placed. Williams will be re-structured and refreshed in the coming 3 years and then when they're in a much better position, Toto will once again sell his stake in the team, or, the time will come where he will leave AMG and go on fully with Williams, who knows.

But what i'm saying is, Williams' only saving can be what happened with ForceIndia/Racing Point. If not, then it's Williams out of F1, no doubt. Whether they then participate in Formula E or something else, the future will show.
Im not sure this is a 'clear' example... However the fact they are only getting him the wheel now is disappointing, but thinking clearly- if the team knew that getting a 150K wheel would help Kubica go 0.5 seconds quicker or whatever- then surely they would have done that. Because that is cheap money for that kind of pace from a driver.. way way cheaper than trying to do aero.

id need to physically hear evidence that they are somehow hampering him.. Like in the races if they were giving first choice to Russell at every race on stops.. we saw that once from Ferrari and LeClerc blew up over it.. Im sure we would have heard Kubica complain and the Sky f1 team report the story. I dont think ive heard ANY F1 news agency carry a story - other than a few comments from the driver himself. The risk to williams if they were would be too damaging and unsporting.

Also the fact that Williams were getting new Merc Engines in Spa (even though it blew up) would suggest that budget wise they aren't mega short of cash, although they are probably on a pay as you go engine deal.. i assume.

In answer to the other posts on here.. The solution for Williams is Clear... Renault.
Yes they would have to sacrifice the MERC engine and link up they have... but if Renault gave them and engine for Free in return for a strategic partnership then it will allow Williams to survive..
They could pool Aero and other data like Honda have done to great effect this year .

As long as they dont become a poor relation to Renault, id be ok with that.

After all.. Williams Renault... what did they ever achieve... :D
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Manoah2u
383
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by Manoah2u » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Williams gets a huge discount from Mercedes for their engines due to having Russell in there. They don't pay extra for a fresh engine, they just get it. Its in Merc's benefit too to get all the data they can get their hands on for development.

Renault isn't gonna be a solution, they already signed a contract with Mercedes for the coming years. That surely will mean Russell has a seat for the coming years or any other Mercedes protegé.

Also Williams Renault was a combination just about ten years ago or less, and it failed quite hard.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

izzy
22
User avatar
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by izzy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:00 pm

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:33 pm
In answer to the other posts on here.. The solution for Williams is Clear... Renault.
Yes they would have to sacrifice the MERC engine and link up they have... but if Renault gave them and engine for Free in return for a strategic partnership then it will allow Williams to survive..
They could pool Aero and other data like Honda have done to great effect this year .

As long as they dont become a poor relation to Renault, id be ok with that.

After all.. Williams Renault... what did they ever achieve... :D
yes Williams-Renault would be good wouldn't it. it'd fit in with Mercedes supplying McLaren too. But Frank has to get real and just sell, it's an old-fashioned team run in an old-fashioned way and that doesn't work any more, these days teams are too big and complicated and it's all about communication and cooperation, as in Mattia, Toto and Christian. Frank is 77 and not in great health and he won't let go, awesome tough guy, but eventually he has to. It was the same with Ron - they were of their era and now it's a new era

Meanwhile and quite separately it seems obvious to me that Robert's injury has turned out to be too bad, tho nobody wanted that but there it is and i think he's accepted it too. Now Nicholas Latifi is going to keep them going until HOPEFULLY the redistribution kicks in and somebody buys them

netoperek
43
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by netoperek » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:42 pm

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Im not sure this is a 'clear' example... However the fact they are only getting him the wheel now is disappointing, but thinking clearly- if the team knew that getting a 150K wheel would help Kubica go 0.5 seconds quicker or whatever- then surely they would have done that. Because that is cheap money for that kind of pace from a driver.. way way cheaper than trying to do aero.

id need to physically hear evidence that they are somehow hampering him.. Like in the races if they were giving first choice to Russell at every race on stops.. we saw that once from Ferrari and LeClerc blew up over it.. Im sure we would have heard Kubica complain and the Sky f1 team report the story. I dont think ive heard ANY F1 news agency carry a story - other than a few comments from the driver himself. The risk to williams if they were would be too damaging and unsporting.

Also the fact that Williams were getting new Merc Engines in Spa (even though it blew up) would suggest that budget wise they aren't mega short of cash, although they are probably on a pay as you go engine deal.. i assume.

In answer to the other posts on here.. The solution for Williams is Clear... Renault.
Yes they would have to sacrifice the MERC engine and link up they have... but if Renault gave them and engine for Free in return for a strategic partnership then it will allow Williams to survive..
They could pool Aero and other data like Honda have done to great effect this year .

As long as they dont become a poor relation to Renault, id be ok with that.

After all.. Williams Renault... what did they ever achieve... :D
First of all, as of now, Williams haven't done the wheel that Robert has been asking for. I remember that a full wheel's cost has been estimated at 50k €. Assuming that redirecting switches cost as much in design time (lol), that's peanuts in F1 scale.
What about famous “I thought the driver who is in front gets priority over who is behind?” “Copy that, we’ll check when you get back here.” in Monaco? It has been in highlights on official F1 site. Robert has been faster whole weekend there. If You look at strategy, Russel actually gets a proper care in this department, like for example pits planned to avoid time lost on blue flags, while Robert had few early pits when he was gaining on Russel, pits directly after the wave of blue flags, very long stints to slow down opponents George had slightest chance to fight with, etc. If You look deeper, You'll see engine modes change and lift and coast when Robert is threatening Russel in most of the races this season. Paul Williams isn't doing a great job at all to be honest. If You haven't heard anything in media, means You haven't been listening carefully, though Williams aren't very interesting topic in mainstream. There are however few instances where reporters have digged enough to even expose Williams lies in official statements, like investigation whether both Williams cars have same engine. Williams were full on with same equipment, same threatment song at the time. Now they admitted that actually even after engine blow up at spa, Robert still got OLD specs.

marmer
33
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:48 am

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by marmer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:47 pm

A potential source I believe in the performance difference is the basically free car upgrade Williams got with the damage done to Russell in Baku with the drain cover. That basically paid for his car to get new bits which one would assume would be the latest speck. Whilst kubica was fine so they could just keep him using old parts

PowerandtheGlory
9
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:52 am

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by PowerandtheGlory » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:49 am

netoperek wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:42 pm
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Im not sure this is a 'clear' example... However the fact they are only getting him the wheel now is disappointing, but thinking clearly- if the team knew that getting a 150K wheel would help Kubica go 0.5 seconds quicker or whatever- then surely they would have done that. Because that is cheap money for that kind of pace from a driver.. way way cheaper than trying to do aero.

id need to physically hear evidence that they are somehow hampering him.. Like in the races if they were giving first choice to Russell at every race on stops.. we saw that once from Ferrari and LeClerc blew up over it.. Im sure we would have heard Kubica complain and the Sky f1 team report the story. I dont think ive heard ANY F1 news agency carry a story - other than a few comments from the driver himself. The risk to williams if they were would be too damaging and unsporting.

Also the fact that Williams were getting new Merc Engines in Spa (even though it blew up) would suggest that budget wise they aren't mega short of cash, although they are probably on a pay as you go engine deal.. i assume.

In answer to the other posts on here.. The solution for Williams is Clear... Renault.
Yes they would have to sacrifice the MERC engine and link up they have... but if Renault gave them and engine for Free in return for a strategic partnership then it will allow Williams to survive..
They could pool Aero and other data like Honda have done to great effect this year .

As long as they dont become a poor relation to Renault, id be ok with that.

After all.. Williams Renault... what did they ever achieve... :D
First of all, as of now, Williams haven't done the wheel that Robert has been asking for. I remember that a full wheel's cost has been estimated at 50k €. Assuming that redirecting switches cost as much in design time (lol), that's peanuts in F1 scale.
What about famous “I thought the driver who is in front gets priority over who is behind?” “Copy that, we’ll check when you get back here.” in Monaco? It has been in highlights on official F1 site. Robert has been faster whole weekend there. If You look at strategy, Russel actually gets a proper care in this department, like for example pits planned to avoid time lost on blue flags, while Robert had few early pits when he was gaining on Russel, pits directly after the wave of blue flags, very long stints to slow down opponents George had slightest chance to fight with, etc. If You look deeper, You'll see engine modes change and lift and coast when Robert is threatening Russel in most of the races this season. Paul Williams isn't doing a great job at all to be honest. If You haven't heard anything in media, means You haven't been listening carefully, though Williams aren't very interesting topic in mainstream. There are however few instances where reporters have digged enough to even expose Williams lies in official statements, like investigation whether both Williams cars have same engine. Williams were full on with same equipment, same threatment song at the time. Now they admitted that actually even after engine blow up at spa, Robert still got OLD specs.
I agree the Wheel thing is really disappointing especially if for 50K they could have moved switches around.
Look Deeper? more carefully?
I'd like to think of myself being fairly clued up f1 fan, Ive been following F1 since when you could physically walk INTO a pit garage... My personal F1 highlight is watching Michelle Alberto (RIP) exit his pitbox fully sideways with no pit speed limiter at full Bore acceleration in a Lola Lambo V12, silverstone (old copse before they ruined it) 6 feet from me.... trust me i don't think i need to dig deeper.
Ive met drivers who've come back to racing after horrible accidents, Alex Zanardi racing a modified WTC at Donny was also a treat to meet and see him. I've been around the block.
Blue flag, pit stops and different specs are pretty much standard fare for all of F1.. Just talk to the Toro Rosso guys who seem to run different engines and spec based on where they are in their life cycle of engines. There's no story there. If the team has given 1 new part to 1 driver (russell) and asked him to trial it against the baseline (kubica) then that is pretty much what every team does, look at HAAS running 2 different specs between drivers, we arent talking about them favouring Magnussen.
Show me evidence that they give Kubica Less Sim time than Russell or Less time with engineers, or something at least which show the team are favouring another driver- not just rotating parts.
(Let's not forget Russell is a Merc young driver and Williams have a Merc Engine)
No im sorry, but i dont think there is any 'clear' evidence other than the fact Williams are running a budget and cant put parts on both cars for some of the fly away races because of lack of spares and can afford to ship new bits out. switching to an old spec after a blow out is also completely reasonable if they have an engine with miles still to do on it. Plus that's happened to Loooooads of drivers this year (hulk and ricc, step forward)

Secondly and most importantly - Im sure Kubica like every driver in F1 who has been around the block a bit will have a very good agent and clauses in his own contract which state that "he is not allowed to be given inferior machinery to a teammate" - unless where practical - i.e unless they have run of parts due to a crash.
He knew what williams were offering him when he signed.
So if Williams were Def Def Def doing something to him, he could sue for breach of contract, or walk away with his head held high.... the car is a dog anyway why bother....??
But he is still there..... still trying..... and i think doing a good job this second half of the year- and he has points due to German race.
So again, thinking rationally, a driver would not drive around in inferior machinery to his teammate and ruin his own reputation. Even Kubica... I think Williams are struggling and to be honest they took Kubica's experience to help them fix a donut of a car.
Kubica's insight will hopefully benefit the team and the next driver next year.
But Kubica would know himself if something was 'really' wrong and he would walk away and take his sponsor money. The only question mark came when the sponsor asked to clarify why they parked his car.. I think this was a fair thing to ask.. and not great looking for Williams, but not sabotage.

Im a big Kubica fan (who can forget Wet Japan Quali when he drove the Lotus Genii Renault.... amazing) shame that Williams couldnt give him a better car, but I'm not convinced they have sabotaged him.

Kubica is a top guy and a top driver, and good luck to him This weekend and the rest of the year and in whatever he decides to do.
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

PowerandtheGlory
9
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:52 am

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by PowerandtheGlory » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:07 am

Manoah2u wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:37 pm
Williams gets a huge discount from Mercedes for their engines due to having Russell in there. They don't pay extra for a fresh engine, they just get it. Its in Merc's benefit too to get all the data they can get their hands on for development.

Renault isn't gonna be a solution, they already signed a contract with Mercedes for the coming years. That surely will mean Russell has a seat for the coming years or any other Mercedes protegé.

Also Williams Renault was a combination just about ten years ago or less, and it failed quite hard.
Eh? Ten years? Def less..... Williams's last race win was in 2012 with a Renault Engine................ before a switch to Merc when Toto bought his shares...
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

PowerandtheGlory
9
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:52 am

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by PowerandtheGlory » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:16 am

This is a direct Quote from Kubica; Source is Planetf1 - Reference to parts shortage with williams...

“I think together with George we have been lucky the whole season not to do silly things, or limit silly things, and we were able to hide the problem for pretty long.

“But unfortunately Singapore and Russia showed up that we were not ready for what is called a risk of motorsport, and racing, as in the end nothing strange happened we just lost a couple of front wings, which might happen every weekend.”

“Of course we were unfortunate with George losing two front wings in Singapore, and one in Russia, but still it’s kind of things that it’s racing, it can happen,” the Polish driver explained.

“I think we were pretty lucky it happened so late in the season as probably we [would have] faced the same problem of Russia earlier in the season if there was an accident.

“As a team we have to react to what happened and hopefully will not happen again.”


That is not the words of a driver who is being sabotaged. That is the words of a driver who understands and knows it's just parts shortage. Where are the complaints of unfairness and favouritism?
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Manoah2u
383
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by Manoah2u » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:57 pm

These are the words of a driver who is giving a politically correct answer just a week after giving a 180 degree answer after getting forced out of the race.
These are the words of a driver who has had a visit from PR department from Williams to do damage control after his words last race.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

netoperek
43
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Re: 2019 Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Post by netoperek » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:59 pm

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:49 am
Thanks for an interesting read, would be great to hear some more anectodes from the pit wall :)
It was not meant offensive, as in my opinion Williams is not too deeply covered in media, most of what is reported are the statements directly from Williams, taken as they are, no questions asked. It actually takes some digging to find something other than that.
What You wrote is obviously right and things You pointed out would be expected. Problems arise when there are specific official claims,for example that they both ride with same specs, when they don't. When one driver is getting to drive a floor damaged in pre-season testing and even Williams engineers slip out that they have no clue why it behaves like it does (being to flexible to be precise), questions are asked and official statements keep saying all is fine, "equal treatment", then something is definitely not right out there. I pointed out how Robert is taken care of by his engineers during race weekends - direct comparison on what both drivers are being told to do, very much doesn't fit to "equal treatment". When Robert is in front and they're actually fighting for position, he gets lift and coast or engine mode changes to slow him down - It happened quite evidently at least on 3 races, from what I had time to look through the full race onboard descriptions. There where instances where Robert pointed out mistakes in what he is being told to by Paul, followed by either long silence or "oh, yes, You're right". That's not how F1 teams should work, wouldn't You say?
Some curious magic also happend to Robert's car during few friday nights, where it actually got worse on FP3s and Qs than it was in FP2. George's car never had that issue on those ocasions, so I guess it's not design or weather related. Usual answer from Robert is then along those lines: "I've got no clue what happened, we lost all the balance / grip we had".
May be that I lost perspective and blame them for more than they're responsible for. There were so many little things from Williams in last 2-3 seasons or so though, that I found annoying to me as their used-to-be-supporter, that I actually started expecting bad things from them and take what Claire is telling nowadays with a truckload of salt