2019 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

Re: 2019 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 11 - 13

yelistener wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 12:32
MtthsMlw wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 11:43

Here is a map who was fastest through each minisector
https://i.redd.it/ic6jme7p28s31.png
How the heck did Lewis win the straight after 130R? That particular section must've included some of the braking zone before the last chicane because otherwise Ferrari should easily win that section.

And Mercedes didn't win any of the slower corners. Hairpin won by Gasly and the chicane won by Leclerc. Either the wind hit Mercedes harder, or so their so called "Suzuka upgrarde" was too subtle lol
The Ferrari is losing speed after the apex of 130R while Merc is constant until the braking point.
Ham's minimum speed is 306 and he brakes at 308 while Vettel is dropping from 314 to 309kmh.
Overall Ferrari is still faster there so the difference (could be just .001s) comes from braking most likely.

falonso81

Best part of this otherwise boring race was Hamilton's radio after the race.

Toto: Lewis, we have won the constructors championship.
Lewis: Congrats guys. (I don't really care)

TAG

Ferrari gets the Ferrari treatment from the FiA, Mercedes was on the corporate image game today. Bottas got his win without having to fight Hamilton for it. There's no way he would have gotten past Hamilton had Hamilton been allowed to stay out. Congratulations to the best team in F1 History, 6 double championships on the trot. Amazing performance.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

gshevlin
gshevlin

falonso81 wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 15:36

He was definitely keeping his enthusiasm well under control.

GPR-A

This Ferrari evokes the memories of Mercedes W04. A beast in qualifying and destroys the tyres in race. The difference to current generation cars is that they have more powerful PU and a hell of lot mechanical grip due to which the overtaking opportunities have diminished relative to 2013.

izzy
izzy

falonso81 wrote:

well it was obviously annoying to be given the long first stint, losing time but setting up the 1-stop, then be given a 2-stop after all. And Toto's comment made it pretty obvious that once Lewis was 4th into T2 they'd decided Valtteri was having the win whatever, even if Lewis used his tyres better and even if it cost 2nd

TNTHead

izzy wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 15:54
falonso81 wrote:

well it was obviously annoying to be given the long first stint, losing time but setting up the 1-stop, then be given a 2-stop after all. And Toto's comment made it pretty obvious that once Lewis was 4th into T2 they'd decided Valtteri was having the win whatever, even if Lewis used his tyres better and even if it cost 2nd
...which is perfectly fine from the team perspective: keep BOT happy by throwing him a bone once in a while. WDC is already a walk in the park for HAM, so no worries for him.

izzy
izzy

TNTHead wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 16:01
izzy wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 15:54
falonso81 wrote:

...which is perfectly fine from the team perspective: keep BOT happy by throwing him a bone once in a while. WDC is already a walk in the park for HAM, so no worries for him.
it cost the team a 1-2, and it's why Lewis wasn't pleased, pretty naturally. he doesn't stop wanting wins because he's got the wdc

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Agreed Lewis got shafted a bit but come on sometimes Bottas should be allowed a win. Keeps his morale high.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Edax wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 14:47
Restomaniac wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 11:47
Edax wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 11:28

Yeah it was crazy. But after that as well. It was pretty obvious that Leclerc’s mirror mount was failing. Schumacher was forced to pull in once to remove a mirror, which was working itself loose. But in this case they just happily let it happen, and kept the camera’s on it to see if they could capture another Massa type incident. Ridiculous.

For the Vettel incident I can somewhat understand. Awarding him a false start would mean that Vettel would be disqualified for the next race. That would be a big embarrassment for ferrari and F1.

And for Leclerc and Verstappen. It probably should be a penalty. However in end these things happen and there was no bad intent. I do get the feeling that Leclerc is becoming a second Grosean. Yes he is quick, but in order to be that quick he has to drive much closer to the limit than some of the other top drivers, there seems to be not a lot of margin with him.
Erm Raikkonen was given a Penalty for jump start and he just got an in race penalty.
No Raikkonen also got points added to his license, as did Kyviat and Ericsson for jump start and incorrect placement in the box.
Oh I see your point now. Sorry.

It’s still bloody wrong though.

izzy
izzy

digitalrurouni wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 17:58
Agreed Lewis got shafted a bit but come on sometimes Bottas should be allowed a win. Keeps his morale high.
i'm not saying it shouldn't have happened (or that it should) just that Lewis was entitled to be pissed off about it, in response to the post that seemed to think that was wrong or something, or amusing for some reason

maxxer
maxxer

Ohhh again the horrible Sky F1 commentary this karun chandhook or whatever his name is so biased.
And the rest is just --- the other guy didnt even remember that leclerc changed his wing !!!!
Ferarri got away with 2 5s penaltys so that shows how f1 will be in the future lol. Sorry f1 i am not going to pay for watching or going to the track good luck

NathanOlder

Restomaniac wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 18:01
Edax wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 14:47
Restomaniac wrote:
13 Oct 2019, 11:47
Erm Raikkonen was given a Penalty for jump start and he just got an in race penalty.
No Raikkonen also got points added to his license, as did Kyviat and Ericsson for jump start and incorrect placement in the box.
Oh I see your point now. Sorry.

It’s still bloody wrong though.
Did Raikkonen get points though, I looked and I couldn't see any points currently on Kimis license.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

RZS10

https://www.fia.com/file/98749/download

Fact Car 7 moved before the start signal was given.
Offence Breach of Article 36.13 a) of the FIA Formula One Sporting Regulations.
Decision Drive through penalty.
(2 penalty points imposed, total of 2 in the 12 month period)

Moanlower

Racing Point filed a complaint towards Renault for using some sorts of programmed brake balance. I wonder how far it goes, whether it's just a pre-programmed brake balance per corner like ECU's are programmed or if it also calculates in wind directions, tyre wear, fuel loads etc ..
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.