C8 Corvette

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Cold Fussion

Re: C8 Corvette

Post by Cold Fussion » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:09 am

heretolearn wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:08 am
The benefits of the pushrod seem to be many ( 1) weight 2) low COG 3) low/midrange torque 4) efficiency 5) cost 6) durability).
If a pushrod engine has supposedly all these advantages you list, you should really ask yourself why every engine is not a pushrod engine.

heretolearn

Post by heretolearn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:35 am

This is one of the questions I did consider! The research I have done indicates that taxes in many countries are based on displacement rather than fuel mileage, as the dynos used today were not available when the legislation was written. From what I can ascertain, pushrods with larger displacements require more fuel to simply idle, but once on partial throttle, they can benefit from the broader torque curve and longer gearing by being under lighter loads which can mean better gas mileage. There has to be a break-even point where the amount of idling or very slow speed travel would hurt the additional displacement, but I don't believe I know what that point is or how to calculate it. It may also be a moot point considering start/stop systems and cylinder deactivation.

Furthermore, I think pushrods are not as popular in various non-V configurations (like inline engines) or forced induction engines (which reap greater benefits from more valves). I also think that in luxury cars, a DOHC setup creates smoother operations and its additional complexity can be something that a manufacturer sell as further proof of luxury, thus increasing the price.

Again, I'm happy to be corrected on any of these points (hence my user name), but the new C8R's dohc configuration has me scratching my head. I'm also trying to think big picture with my "unlimited class question.

Just_a_fan

Post by Just_a_fan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:36 am

The point about taxation based on displacement is probably a good one - generally speaking a pushrod won't rev as high as an OHC engine. If you're limited, for taxation purposes in Europe anyway, to a small capacity engine, you're going to look at increasing engine revs in order to give the power required by the end user. So an OHC engine is preferable. Add multiple valves and adjustable valve timing and you can get a lot of performance from a small capacity engine. Back in the day, turbos were crude implementations so weren't favoured for non-sporty cars.

Today, of course, we use small capacity with light turbos and clever valve timing arrangements etc. to get flexible engines that give good mpg and decent power too when required.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

nzjrs

Post by nzjrs » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:18 am

I google this every couple of weeks without success, but does anyone know the definite plans concerning the C8 release for continental europe?

strad

Post by strad » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:09 pm

I don't know about Europe but according to my Chevy dealer all planned 2020 production has long been spoken for. I can only reserve a 2021. :wink:
Motorsport without danger is like cooking without salt
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

Post by Zynerji » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:19 pm

I'm running into the same for buying a C8.

I planned on shaking 75k ish from my stock account (thank you AMD and Qualcomm!), to buy one, but now I'm thinking I'll just stay in until 2021.

nzjrs

Post by nzjrs » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:21 pm

Zynerji wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:19 pm
I'm running into the same for buying a C8.

I planned on shaking 75k ish from my stock account (thank you AMD and Qualcomm!), to buy one, but now I'm thinking I'll just stay in until 2021.
USD or are you presuming about EUR price and availability in 2021?

Zynerji

Post by Zynerji » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:49 am

US availability. I was directly recommended to not buy the Gen1 C8 unless I was a collector. I got the impression that the Gen2 (2021) will be much more "massaged" and sorted than the one available now, especially after the race teams give feedback on competitive use.

strad

Post by strad » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:00 pm

There is history of the first one out of the box being used to disclose flaws or changes that the buying public prefer. Not just in cars either it applies to almost everything.
Motorsport without danger is like cooking without salt
Sir Stirling Moss

Greg Locock

Post by Greg Locock » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:56 pm

Well... at J1 the responsibility for the design is handed over from product to manufacturing. But there is a 90 day grace period in which the design is finalised and the sums are done. So the first 90 days of production often have expensive bridging parts in that were developed late in the piece to solve new issues, permanent fixes for which will be introduced at J1+90. Then the cost reduction teams swing into action.

So, in terms of content the first 3 months of production are probably better than later cars. However the plant will still be learning how to screw them together, so quality will probably improve as time moves on (until the cost reduction teams get to work).