2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Holm86

Re: 2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

Post by Holm86 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:15 am

Mudflap wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:40 pm
Holm86 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:58 pm
Mudflap wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:19 pm
If you could remove the pumping and frictional losses associated with the extra 2 cylinders that don't do anything and provided that your working 4 cylinders could cope with the increased thermal and mechanical loads associated with operating at higher duty then yes, there could be a thermal efficiency gain.
Pumping losses would be relatively easy to minimize, they run individual throttle bodies so just keep the two deactivated throttles fully open.
But what would the advantage be??
Lower heat losses from smaller effective combustions surface.

Also throttles are not individually operated.
But at full throttle they would be open anyways. Is there any regulation that says that they cant be individually operated?? Having one servo per throttle??
Is there even any point in closing the throttle bodies when off throttle?? As it just create pumping losses. If I did the engine map, I would let the throttles stand wide open when off throttle, and then just manage the engine braking with the MGU-K

Mudflap

Post by Mudflap » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Holm86 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:15 am

But at full throttle they would be open anyways. Is there any regulation that says that they cant be individually operated?? Having one servo per throttle??
Is there even any point in closing the throttle bodies when off throttle?? As it just create pumping losses. If I did the engine map, I would let the throttles stand wide open when off throttle, and then just manage the engine braking with the MGU-K
Nothing stopping them from individually operating the throttles if they wanted to.

You are proposing that they keep the throttles of the deactivated cylinders fully open - however at full load this would mean that a significant portion of the total air massflow would go through them. All this air would be just wasted compressor and piston energy.
How much TQ does it make though?

michl420

Post by michl420 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:36 pm

With leclerc having an engine for just 2 Races it will me interesting to see how it performs. Bringing the old idea of having an engine for only Maybe 3 races and accept the Penalty back on the table.