Slipstream effect of 2021 cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Slipstream effect of 2021 cars

strad wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 04:33
Also, what people? Did you do a survey?
I'll put my vote with just a fan.. Maybe you should start a poll might prove interesting.
I don´t care about people´s opinion at all sincerely, only that "people like _______" is a very weak argument, you can put whatever you want to finish the sentence, good or bad, with or without any sense, and it will look like an argument, but it´s not

Andres125sx

GPR -A wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 11:18
Due to reduced drag, cars would not have to carry the same fuel as they are carrying now.
They will, if there´s reduced drag driver´s will not lift off to keep same top speed than now saving fuel, they´ll keep the foot in the floor using same fuel. The reduced drag will only change top speed will be higher, but they´ll keep using same fuel

Andres125sx

mzso wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 18:07
GPR -A wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 11:18
Due to reduced drag, cars would not have to carry the same fuel as they are carrying now. Meaning, lighter car (although balances due to increase in minimum weight for 2021). I don't think cars would need 105-110 kilo fuel anymore and might go back to around 90 to 95 kilos (those PUs who are more economical would benefit more).
I wonder why don't they just fill the tanks to maximum and just have constant extra power in the start of the race, where the extra weight matters least. (110 compared to a 100 matters a lot less tan 15 to 5)
At some tracks like Monaco they start under 90l since the start of these PUs I think, or at least for some years

Andres125sx

mzso wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 01:32
Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 23:59
I fear that if the 2021 rules work as intended, overtaking will be too easy, especially as the rules favour the overtaking driver.
I highly doubt that... (excluding of course big performance difference, and unwise DRS usage) The following drivers will just be less handicapped. Was overtaking ever too easy? Even with pre-downforce cars it was never a given, and they weren't effected negatively by the preceding car at all, they only had the slipstream. The new formula of course won't be even close to this.
+1

Exactly what I was going to say :)

strad

I don´t care about people´s opinion at all
So on one hand you ask what people and proof and then explain that you don't care since yours is the only opinion that matters.
Seriously?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 18:09
TAG wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 17:55
Overtaking is overrated. People like battles, not overtaking. People like over taking attempts, people like continuous pressure, people like masterful defense. The overtake is an incidental.
I agree with the first bit but not, sadly, the rest. It seems that lots of people want overtaking - including members on this forum. It seems that overtaking is king for many and the more the merrier for them.

Me? I'd much rather watch two drivers over several laps trying to overtake / defend. It's the "ooh, will he? NO! So close! Ah, this time he might...oh, great defending...brilliant move that!" stuff that's exciting, not "oh, here he comes...and he's got by at the first time of trying" guff.

It seems the "fans" that the FIA talk to all want lots of the latter which is why the FIA is doing so much to set up the new rules.A race with 200 hundred overtakes will be just as dull as one with 2 overtakes. The key is having a few good battles and making sure that the people watching get to see those battles. All too often, we have the director cutting away to someone in the pit lane, or the leader circulating in free air with no one near him, whilst a good multi-corner ding dong is going on mid field.
Give us lap after lap of battles like this.
https://youtu.be/kDkK8a4jHZ8

I then think no matter what your view is on overtakes it will soon be changed.

AJI
AJI

Restomaniac wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 22:38

There's a lot to be said for spec racing on a damp track with tyres that last

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

AJI wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 22:57
Restomaniac wrote:

That’s not the point I’m making.

dans79

Restomaniac wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 23:40
AJI wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

I think you missed his point, spec racing with tires that last forever, is about the only way you'll get racing like that.
197 104 103 7

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

dans79 wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 02:47
Restomaniac wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 23:40
AJI wrote:

I think you missed his point, spec racing with tires that last forever, is about the only way you'll get racing like that.
I disagree. A cap that brings everyone closer together with cars that are able to follow without major issues will do much the same.

There is no way that currently the following car could sit that close that long. The current Aero just wouldn’t allow it and neither would the current tyres. Both of which are being fundamentally changed.
The 2021 cars are being designed from the ground up to allow them to follow just like that. The back end is designed to intentionally get rid of the horrible wake, the cap is brought in to stop the stupid arms race, the tyres have been changed to try and negate their current issues, the regs are tighter than they ever have been, etc.

My question is if the Wake is being thrown up and away does that mean the killer heat will be too?
Last edited by Restomaniac on 10 Nov 2019, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.

hollus

Restomaniac wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 10:49
...My question is if the Wake is being thrown up and away does that mean the killer heat will be too?
I would think so, with the heat currently exiting between the difusser and the rear wing. It is air from the sides that would be encountered by the car behind, so not only colder but probably calmer too, which the radiators shouldn't complain about.
Rivals, not enemies.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

hollus wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 10:55
Restomaniac wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 10:49
...My question is if the Wake is being thrown up and away does that mean the killer heat will be too?
I would think so, with the heat currently exiting between the difusser and the rear wing. It is air from the sides that would be encountered by the car behind, so not only colder but probably calmer too, which the radiators shouldn't complain about.
Then that’s another reason for the new cars being able to sit that close for far longer too.

Andres125sx

strad wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 21:50
I don´t care about people´s opinion at all
So on one hand you ask what people and proof and then explain that you don't care since yours is the only opinion that matters.
Seriously?
Read properly please, where did I say my opinion is the only that matters? :roll:

hollus

Moving on, please...
Rivals, not enemies.

strad

In NASCAR they can do what they call "side draft" because there is some slight vacuum just off the side of the cars. In fact they have to be careful not to be pulled into the side of the other car. With all this talk of out wash is there no side draft or do you think they can get a side draft?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss