2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2019 Aston Martin Red Bull Racing - Honda F1 Team

Alonso does point out, however, that Verstappen’s approach is not all positive – for with it comes the risk of incidents that can cost finishes.

"But that aggressiveness also makes you lose points because you have more problems. It is difficult to find the balance."
Which is what many of us have said for some time. It's all very well being aggressive and exciting to watch, but titles require points and his approach can, and does, cost points.

The best are aggressive when required, circumspect when that is required.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ispano6

Max's approach is quite natural. If you have an inferior package where your only advantage is in the corners, that is where you have to take the risk. That is where the racing happens. Max knows once you're in dirty air there is no chance of overtaking the top two after the beginning of a race and then relies on strategy for over/under cuts. Tyre life used to be RBs advantage but this season that only seems to really work with the hard compounds.

Capharol
Capharol

ispano6 wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 17:39
Max's approach is quite natural. If you have an inferior package where your only advantage is in the corners, that is where you have to take the risk. That is where the racing happens. Max knows once you're in dirty air there is no chance of overtaking the top two after the beginning of a race and then relies on strategy for over/under cuts. Tyre life used to be RBs advantage but this season that only seems to really work with the hard compounds.
you know what the main problem is..... the fans
if Max pulls off a agressive move and he succeeds, all jumping up and down and hailing him for such a move... but if it doesn't work he is been called "Crashtappen"

so maybe the view of the fan should change instead the driver

Bill
Bill

Which team in the top three does Redbull have advantages over in the corners. These is just myth that Redbull always build the best chassis even when it's pretty clear to everyone watching that the car is unstable at the rear in high speed corners.Redbull got pole in Mexico because they were quicker than merc on the straights by 0.2 and the corners were predominantly mid high speed corners their strength.

Redbull was 1 second slower than Mercedes in Barcelona how do you come up with these stuff of corner strength.Pretty much all Max errors are made at the start of a race so that were he needs to fix.

Wass85
Wass85

Max is the fastest driver in F1 IMO and arguably the best. Lightning fast on a Saturday and just as quick on a Sunday.

It's easy to be me more calculating when you have the best car but it's more a case of make or break when you have the 3rd best car. He will become the complete driver sooner rather than later.

godlameroso

Bill wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 18:15
Which team in the top three does Redbull have advantages over in the corners. These is just myth that Redbull always build the best chassis even when it's pretty clear to everyone watching that the car is unstable at the rear in high speed corners.Redbull got pole in Mexico because they were quicker than merc on the straights by 0.2 and the corners were predominantly mid high speed corners their strength.

Redbull was 1 second slower than Mercedes in Barcelona how do you come up with these stuff of corner strength.Pretty much all Max errors are made at the start of a race so that were he needs to fix.
Look at all the data of the last 3 races, you clearly see Red Bull is ahead in the very low speed and low to medium speed corners. They're not ahead in traction, and they're not ahead in high speed corners. Mercedes is the best at high downforce corners, long corners(which is why their car has so much drag). Ferrari is closer at high speed but is clearly off the pace in the slower speed corners. Mercedes has a tire life advantage over both Red Bull and Ferrari because they carry more peak downforce than both of those two.

The RB15 is the best car in the low speed stuff, that means either their aero works sooner than the others but makes less peak downforce, or their chassis is the best on the grid due to being faster at low speed(where mechanical grip matters more) but miss out at higher speeds where pure downforce matters more.

Maybe they miscalculated the drag targets on the car due to the power unit expectation. Next year knowing they'll have a stronger power unit they can put more peak downforce on the car, and retain their low speed advantage.
Saishū kōnā

izzy
izzy

godlameroso wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 20:43
The RB15 is the best car in the low speed stuff, that means either their aero works sooner than the others but makes less peak downforce, or their chassis is the best on the grid due to being faster at low speed(where mechanical grip matters more) but miss out at higher speeds where pure downforce matters more.

Maybe they miscalculated the drag targets on the car due to the power unit expectation. Next year knowing they'll have a stronger power unit they can put more peak downforce on the car, and retain their low speed advantage.
yes the car has improved massively during the year hasn't it, and it's the best on the brakes and in low speed again as usual. It's back to being very flattering, giving these advantages that are so visible. See RIC and SEB for what happens when the same driver is in a normal car!

when it was difficult then Max's talent was the difference as poor Pierre found out. BUT Max has had 13 contacts this year already, that's Alex's chance even if he never quite catches up on pace

Wouter

izzy wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 21:01
BUT Max has had 13 contacts this year already, that's Alex's chance
even if he never quite catches up on pace.
That sounds like a reproach. :wink: How many of those were his fault?
The Power of Dreams!

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Isn’t the Redbull’s characteristic always resulting of the huge rake? Gives more downforce at low speeds, less drag (and downforce) at high speeds. But very unstable this year at bumpy/windy situations.

izzy
izzy

Wouter wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 21:09
izzy wrote:
it's not a reproach really just discussing his main limitation that he has atm. Suzuka wasn't his fault of course, but the others at least 50% I'd say. And even Suzuka you could say was because of the relationships he chooses with the other drivers. As i've said before driving aggressively is like having a gun - great as long as you're the only one! But fellow aphas like Charles and Lewis aren't going to let him beat them like that even if they joke about giving him extra space. He's only 22 and it's something he has to learn

And for the team, they have something to learn too - they've had Max for 5 years from 17, all for his potential, and then just as he matures into a WDC contender he might go to Mercedes!

Sieper

izzy wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 22:03
Wouter wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 21:09
izzy wrote:
it's not a reproach really just discussing his main limitation that he has atm. Suzuka wasn't his fault of course, but the others at least 50% I'd say. And even Suzuka you could say was because of the relationships he chooses with the other drivers. As i've said before driving aggressively is like having a gun - great as long as you're the only one! But fellow aphas like Charles and Lewis aren't going to let him beat them like that even if they joke about giving him extra space. He's only 22 and it's something he has to learn

And for the team, they have something to learn too - they've had Max for 5 years from 17, all for his potential, and then just as he matures into a WDC contender he might go to Mercedes!
But even that is a bit unfair, look how carefull Max was with Charles in France, and how extremely carefull in England (I would say more so then Lewis was with Charles in italy) and then Yes, in Austria he took the line and kept it, but it was very, very, very easy for leclerc to yield, he had every opportunity. But he chose not to, and I think that was his whole intention, give up the inside, remain there on the outside, wait for contact and have the penalty get Max back to P2. Charles saw what happened to Seb who did defend the inside line (got overtaken).

So was it really Max who was so overly aggresive with Charles? No. For me Charles has this year been the “wildest” driver (he wants to prove himself) on more then a handfull of occasions.

izzy
izzy

Sieper wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 22:28
But even that is a bit unfair, look how carefull Max was with Charles in France, and how extremely carefull in England (I would say more so then Lewis was with Charles in italy) and then Yes, in Austria he took the line and kept it, but it was very, very, very easy for leclerc to yield, he had every opportunity. But he chose not to, and I think that was his whole intention, give up the inside, remain there on the outside, wait for contact and have the penalty get Max back to P2. Charles saw what happened to Seb who did defend the inside line (got overtaken).

So was it really Max who was so overly aggresive with Charles? No. For me Charles has this year been the “wildest” driver (he wants to prove himself) on more then a handfull of occasions.
i'm not holding Charles up as an example, I basically stopped fanning him after Monza. I prefer Max, imo if Max had been helped to the win in Spa by his teammate and then agreed to do the mutual tows he'd have been fair and done his

but Austria Max was not following the racing line on exit, which they all do, it was a block dive on entry, like Rosberg in 2016. Tho yes Max has often been perfectly clean. Still, my point is that to do the WDC that team is desperate for he needs to clean it up some more. Lewis was making the point in Mexico about who's hard around here, and i hope Max can be a big less stubborn and think about it - 3 contacts in Mexico, a FWEP and floor in Austin, and two wins thrown away. He needs to dump this whole "hard racing" concept

Capharol
Capharol

izzy wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 22:54

- 3 contacts in Mexico,
the one with Bottas wasn't his fault, Bottas had enough room on the outside, Max was on the racing line and i can't recall two other contacts

izzy
izzy

Capharol wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 23:01
izzy wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 22:54

- 3 contacts in Mexico,
the one with Bottas wasn't his fault, Bottas had enough room on the outside, Max was on the racing line and i can't recall two other contacts
Max was tight on the apex, Valtteri had dodged, then Max opened the steering to block, that's how he ended up right off line on the other side of the track, and VB didn't anticipate that. he did the same to Lewis, that's how that happened, and he came together with Kmag later. anyway I'm not saying they were all Max's fault, but he does have too many of them to make WDC, atm.

His pace isn't the problem, it's the idea he can solve things by being aggressive, as though the others are gonna just let him. He needs to discover sensitive and empathetic :D Stop feuding and shoving and just earn respect from the others for skill and class. Give room and get room. Of course he's only 22 so he has time, and Red Bull have to starting wondering why the youngest wdc is still 23, average is about 30, and they don't have any mature drivers

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 18:22
Max is the fastest driver in F1 IMO and arguably the best. Lightning fast on a Saturday and just as quick on a Sunday.
The best know when NOT to fight. He might be fast / the fastest but he won't be the best until he learns when to back off rather than go all in.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.