Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
izzy
izzy

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF91?? Speculation Thread

SiLo wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 12:07
All of this is likely referencing the diffuser, and that they want to increase rake but can't get the diffuser working properly (read: they can't keep it sealed very well).
is this why 'flat' got mentioned? i mean, they don't want it flat do they, they'd much rather curve it, that's why FIA added some extra tests for Red Bull, and where the whole spygate saga started. if they could curve the floor it'd be much easier to keep the flow attached and all that. Tho it doesn't really explain why they'd be disappointed in the wind tunnel, unless it's a cunningly bendy bit like they had a year or two ago that's turning out to be too cunning to really work

SiLo

izzy wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 13:29
SiLo wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 12:07
All of this is likely referencing the diffuser, and that they want to increase rake but can't get the diffuser working properly (read: they can't keep it sealed very well).
is this why 'flat' got mentioned? i mean, they don't want it flat do they, they'd much rather curve it, that's why FIA added some extra tests for Red Bull, and where the whole spygate saga started. if they could curve the floor it'd be much easier to keep the flow attached and all that. Tho it doesn't really explain why they'd be disappointed in the wind tunnel, unless it's a cunningly bendy bit like they had a year or two ago that's turning out to be too cunning to really work
I think it's nothing to do with flex, it's just the AoA of the floor and how much they can get away with. At a certain point flow from the top of the floor will "spill" over the sides and underneath which then robs the floor of downforce.
Felipe Baby!

izzy
izzy

SiLo wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 16:37
I think it's nothing to do with flex, it's just the AoA of the floor and how much they can get away with. At a certain point flow from the top of the floor will "spill" over the sides and underneath which then robs the floor of downforce.
Yes but we're looking for something that's disappointed them before it's run on the track, aren't we. In the wind tunnel. If it was just basic flat rake the cfd would be pretty well correlated and they'd have known anyway from the first wind tunnel run, last summer probably. It has to be something obscure

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Keep in mind it's not a "it's all gone wrong", it's a "not as good as we'd hoped". Maybe they'd hoped the thing they are doing was worth 1.5s a lap but it's only proving to be 1.2s a lap. That's still a "not as good as we'd hoped" even though it's a "wow, big performance gain" for the rest of us.

Sometimes the meaning is not in the words, it's between them...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LM10
LM10

I can’t imagine the problem being related to simple floor characteristics. Ferrari has enough experience with high rake (they’re increasing it for 2020) to be disappointingly scratching their heads 1 month before launch. Maybe they’re trying something new.

Sierra117

LM10 wrote:
27 Jan 2020, 17:29
I can’t imagine the problem being related to simple floor characteristics. Ferrari has enough experience with high rake (they’re increasing it for 2020) to be disappointingly scratching their heads 1 month before launch. Maybe they’re trying something new.
Yeah but they've changed the variables; the wheelbase and the rest of the aero so that probably radically changed the way the air has been behaving compared to when they had short wheelbase and less slippery aero before 2019. Either way i personally think there's no real problem. Everyone eventually studies hours before the exam date so if they do have a problem they'll figure it out 🤓
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

SiLo wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 13:20
I refuse to believe that they will start with last years car.
I agree with you. They are not going to use last year's car.

Come on people, let's calm down here. They are totally modifying the air flow over the entire car in an effort to emulate the Mercedes approach to aerodynamics. They'll be slower in a straight line but hopefully faster everywhere else.

As always, we won't know the full picture until Q3 is over at Albert Park.

outsid3r

Ringleheim wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 11:43
SiLo wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 13:20
I refuse to believe that they will start with last years car.
I agree with you. They are not going to use last year's car.

Come on people, let's calm down here. They are totally modifying the air flow over the entire car in an effort to emulate the Mercedes approach to aerodynamics. They'll be slower in a straight line but hopefully faster everywhere else.

As always, we won't know the full picture until Q3 is over at Albert Park.

And even then it wouldn't be the full picture. Pecking order at Albert park doesn't necessarily reflect pecking order at the end of the season

jumpingfish

MtthsMlw

Lot's of little details here.
- the airbox seems to be the same as last year
- single wastegate on top of the exhaust like last year
- naked rear wheelhub is shown
- high side pod inlets retained

zibby43
zibby43

MtthsMlw wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 21:47
Agreed. Saw the wheelhub, too.

LM10
LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
Are you sure these are the parts of the new car? Why would they have painted the car already? It would be very unusual for Ferrari to publicly show parts anyway.
Also, wasn't it reported that the color would be different? Less "orange" than last year. The airbox in the video has the same color.

MtthsMlw

LM10 wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 22:46
MtthsMlw wrote:
Are you sure these are the parts of the new car? Why would they have painted the car already? It would be very unusual for Ferrari to publicly show parts anyway.
Also, wasn't it reported that the color would be different? Less "orange" than last year. The airbox in the video has the same color.
Can't be 100% sure. Though I don't see why they would mate the new PU to an old chassis.
I mean it's kind of the point of these fire ups to do it once the chassis is united with the PU. The PU itself has done miles on miles on the testbench already.
But yes, it's quite unusal that they show anything at all.

Mr.G

MtthsMlw wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 22:58
LM10 wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:
Can't be 100% sure. Though I don't see why they would mate the new PU to an old chassis.
I mean it's kind of the point of these fire ups to do it once the chassis is united with the PU. The PU itself has done miles on miles on the testbench already.
Because it is promo video of the engine sound...

I think in the video is old car - 90 years of Ferrari
painted on the fin...

What is more interesting for me, they did not give away much of the sound, do they try to protect against some sound analyses? :)
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

NathanOlder

Mr.G wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 00:12
MtthsMlw wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 22:58
LM10 wrote:

Because it is promo video of the engine sound...

I think in the video is old car - 90 years of Ferrari
painted on the fin...

What is more interesting for me, they did not give away much of the sound, do they try to protect against some sound analyses? :)
Surely if they want to protect from some sound analysis, they don't release a sound video. So I doubt that's why the video wasn't much.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC