Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
strad

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

IMHO 60-70k$ is far from expensive for all that
Well,,, Then we will all be waiting for the pictures when you shell out that kind of bread for any EV.
That's a whole lot on money no matter how you look at it. I said it was nice, but I don't foresee many people popping that kind of cash for either model. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

AJI
AJI

izzy wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 22:37
yes in theory a plug-in hybrid is the ideal way in the short term isn't it, while energy density of batteries is so much worse than petrol and diesel. Tho they have just been finding that a lot of people don't bother plugging them in, and that makes them worse instead of better...
...We booked a test drive of an i3 a year or two ago and the dealer hadn't bothered plugging it either!
This particular problem is not a fault of the concept of the car, but a fault of design that requires one additional step when owning that car. Manufactures and designers didn't factor in that humanity, as a whole, is fundamentally lazy.
That said, the only reason BEV drivers go through the 'arduous' task of plugging in at home or work (or wherever) is because they have to. PHEV owners don't. So, the solution is to properly incentivise people to plug-in their PHEV and/or make it so easy to do that it becomes second nature.
I think a more attractive option for connecting BEV's would be beneficial too. I mean, I fill my car once a fortnight.., sometimes twice. If I had to plug it in every other day it'd be annoying, but if I just pulled into my car space and the car connected automatically that'd be great! I'm sure BEV manufacturers are working on this problem, and that solution would fix the PHEV issue you cite.

Brake Horse Power
Brake Horse Power

Andres, here you go.. Tank steer :lol:

strad

So, the solution is to properly incentivise people to plug-in their PHEV and/or make it so easy to do that it becomes second nature... if I just pulled into my car space and the car connected automatically that'd be great!
You touch on something I have thought about a few times. IF you could simply pull in and park your vehicle over a pad and wirelessly charge up similarly to how I place my phone over a charging pad. People would use/like that.
Your fortune is made,,, Now go out and do it. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

AJI wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 00:00
Even though F1 is about as far from road relevant as you can get, I see the MGU-K as the perfect fit for PHEV use. 120kW & 200Nm is good useable power & torque and also big enough for good regeneration capability, they're the starter motor and alternator, and they couple directly to the crank.
This spec, redesigned to be more robust for real world conditions, would be ideal.
Couple it with a small turbo diesel and add ~20kWh of storage and I'm sold.
The problem with the F1 setup is it's debatable how well the MGU-H will work in a car running at like 5-10% WOT on a motorway cruise. It's probably the ideal architecture for a long distance truck though (other than cost).

izzy
izzy

AJI wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 01:04
This particular problem is not a fault of the concept of the car, but a fault of design that requires one additional step when owning that car. Manufactures and designers didn't factor in that humanity, as a whole, is fundamentally lazy.
That said, the only reason BEV drivers go through the 'arduous' task of plugging in at home or work (or wherever) is because they have to. PHEV owners don't. So, the solution is to properly incentivise people to plug-in their PHEV and/or make it so easy to do that it becomes second nature.
I think a more attractive option for connecting BEV's would be beneficial too. I mean, I fill my car once a fortnight.., sometimes twice. If I had to plug it in every other day it'd be annoying, but if I just pulled into my car space and the car connected automatically that'd be great! I'm sure BEV manufacturers are working on this problem, and that solution would fix the PHEV issue you cite.
There was an article a couple of months ago about experimenting with induction charging with plates in the road, in parking spaces. They lose a bit of efficiency of course but if you had plenty of solar or wind available that could work. You might need to lower a charging plate down, to help with that, but it'd be a solution for people in apartments too

edit it's this one, and there's one in carmagazine too:
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/ ... -it-work-/
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... -2020.html
Wireless electric car chargers to be installed on Britain's streets next year meaning owners don't need to plug in
Trials of induction pads to take place across London, Midlands and Scotland
They will be installed in residential streets, car parks and taxi ranks
Pads are sunk into the ground and pump out an alternating electromagnetic field
This is converted into electricity when a vehicle is parked on top of it
Last edited by izzy on 08 Feb 2020, 11:33, edited 2 times in total.

AJI
AJI

Cold Fussion wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 05:42
The problem with the F1 setup is it's debatable how well the MGU-H will work in a car running at like 5-10% WOT on a motorway cruise. It's probably the ideal architecture for a long distance truck though (other than cost).
My idea is based on the MHEV principal that the K does a lot more work. The H does the bulk of the work in an F1 car, so it's not really applicable to a road car scenario. I'd even go so far as to say the H is useless in a road car application.
Scenario: cruise control.
To maintain perfect speed control a K is useful to reduce speed on downhill runs and maintain the ideal gap for adaptive cruise control.
Scenario: stop start heavy traffic.
If the K is big enough (200Nm in my example) there is a lot more recovery ability. Also, as speeds are low, there are only light throttle applications and low power requirements. Pure EV is adequate.
I'm by no means anti BEV, but the limitations (at least in the short term) make them unattractive for too many reasons to simply write-off PHEV as merely a stop-gap until battery tech improves, which as I have implied, may never reach the convenience of liquid hydrocarbon. Well, at least in my lifetime...
I honestly hope there's a revolution in battery tech and also autonomous vehicles that I'll be able to take advantage of, but from what I've gathered neither is realistic within 20 years?

AJI
AJI

strad wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 05:10
So, the solution is to properly incentivise people to plug-in their PHEV and/or make it so easy to do that it becomes second nature... if I just pulled into my car space and the car connected automatically that'd be great!
You touch on something I have thought about a few times. IF you could simply pull in and park your vehicle over a pad and wirelessly charge up similarly to how I place my phone over a charging pad. People would use/like that.
Your fortune is made,,, Now go out and do it. :wink:
You'd think Elon has a room full of engineers trying to solve this problem?
The first manufacturer that offers a BEV that you never have to physically plug-in will mop the floor with every other manufacturer.

Andres125sx

Brake Horse Power wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 01:06
Andres, here you go.. Tank steer :lol:

https://youtu.be/yzwM8KE2L3I
Great thanks, that´s awsome for off-road maneuvers in tight spaces

Andres125sx

AJI wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 00:22
Andres125sx wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 20:31
... If 650km are not enogh just wait for next generation of batteries...
I've been waiting for a while now, as have you, no? Just re-read some of your posts about emerging battery tech from years ago.
I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but I believe you and me belong to the optimists side of the battery tech argument, and it's getting tiresome perpetually being disappointed...
Agree completely, but lately I´ve become a bit more optimistic again, thanks to Nikola announcement of their new battery with 4x the energy density of current LiIon tech. We´ll see how real it is...

https://nikolamotor.com/press_releases/ ... ld-2020-67

Even a half of their claims (2x energy density) would be a game changer

AJI wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 00:22
It also ticks another box you didn´t ask for, but surely you´d be happy with it. 0-60mph in 3 seconds :wtf:
This is the biggest red herring out there.
BEV's are a one-trick-pony in this respect.
Who really cares if your BEV can out accelerate an ICE super car? Back in the real world, if you offer 0-100 in 7 seconds and a 5 minute charge or a car that takes 30 minutes to charge, but can do 0-100 in 3 seconds, which one will you choose?
The fact is, BEV manufacturers can't offer option 1, so they push option 2 like it's something everyone needs...
Not exactly, they don´t push for option 2, that´s just an added bonus of a huge battery to increase range. Charging and discharging capacity depends on battery capacity, it´s defined by battery capacity actually (for example 10C, wich means 10 times the capacity, ie. a 100kWh battery will provide 100kW x 10 = 1000kw... so if the battery is bigger it will provide more power and they can use more powerful motors, specially when weight penalty for a powerful electric motor is minor compared to ICEs

Since they´re using a huge battery (180kWh) to provide more than 600km range, they can also use powerful motors and provide hypercar acceleration. They´re not choosing hypercar acceleration instead of faster charge times, for faster charge times you need to improve battery tech to improve charging rates, while for hypercar acceleration they don´t need a new battery tech, just a bigger battery wich is what they did anycase to improve range. An added bonus, not something they were looking for

Edit: actually increasing battery size they´re also reducing charging times... for a given range. Charging rates will be the same, if a battery needs 30 minutes to fully charge it will still need 30 minutes to fully charge, but charging 180kWh in those 30 minutes instead of a 60kWh wich is a more common battery size. Same charging times, but charging a lot more energy, so if you just want to charge what´s needed to cover 100km, with this Rivian (600km range) it will take a sixth of its complete charging times (in the example, 30minutes /6 = 5 minutes), while any car with a 60kWh battery wich should provide around 250km range, to cover 100km will need 30 minutes /2.5 = 12 minutes.

So doubling battery size they double range, but also half charging times for a given distance (not if you just want to fully charge it tough)

Big Tea

Leaving aside the ecology aspect of it, just a small low power unit used only at very low speed and start makes a hybrid so much more pleasant to drive in towns, and adds comparitavly little to cost and weight and is soon recovered in fuel saving. Once someone actually tries one they usually notice this, so makers would probably need to go down this path anyway. (48v option for example)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

AJI wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 11:08
My idea is based on the MHEV principal that the K does a lot more work. The H does the bulk of the work in an F1 car, so it's not really applicable to a road car scenario. I'd even go so far as to say the H is useless in a road car application.
To maintain perfect speed control a K is useful to reduce speed on downhill runs and maintain the ideal gap for adaptive cruise control.
If the K is big enough (200Nm in my example) there is a lot more recovery ability. Also, as speeds are low, there are only light throttle applications and low power requirements. Pure EV is adequate.
I'm by no means anti BEV, but the limitations (at least in the short term) make them unattractive for too many reasons to simply write-off PHEV as merely a stop-gap until battery tech improves, which as I have implied, may never reach the convenience of liquid hydrocarbon. Well, at least in my lifetime...
I honestly hope there's a revolution in battery tech and also autonomous vehicles that I'll be able to take advantage of, but from what I've gathered neither is realistic within 20 years?
I agree that that a PHEV with something like a 10-20 kwh battery and a lot of recovery potential would be ideal for 99% of buyers today. The problem is that setup is very expense and we may never see such a setup in something like a base level corolla because of the cost of having both a battery and engine setup. The cost of the engine and gearbox likely wont decrease in the next 10 years, and I wonder if the battery cost decreased to a level to make such a system viable, whether or not it may be cheap enough to just go full BEV.

Big Tea

Cold Fussion wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 18:25
AJI wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 11:08
I agree that that a PHEV with something like a 10-20 kwh battery and a lot of recovery potential would be ideal for 99% of buyers today. The problem is that setup is very expense and we may never see such a setup in something like a base level corolla because of the cost of having both a battery and engine setup. The cost of the engine and gearbox likely wont decrease in the next 10 years, and I wonder if the battery cost decreased to a level to make such a system viable, whether or not it may be cheap enough to just go full BEV.
They are in the pipeline. Once an alternative fuel is developed it may be a good alternitive

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/0 ... 5-kia.html
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AJI
AJI

Yamaha looking at EV range extenders

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/y ... ous-motor/

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

strad wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 00:53

Well,,, Then we will all be waiting for the pictures when you shell out that kind of bread for any EV.
That's a whole lot on money no matter how you look at it. I said it was nice, but I don't foresee many people popping that kind of cash for either model. :wink:
Let's face it, even $50000 is fantasy money for a car for most people, and I see no sign that the demographic here is spectacularly rich for a first world hobbyist forum. I happen to drive a car that costs that much, but that's via my employer, I wouldn't pay anything like that unsubsidised (I lease it for $240 per month).