Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
MtthsMlw

Re: Mercedes W11

The Alfa C38 had theses as well. Some additional cooling for the ECU and stuff like that.

kimetic

Seanspeed wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 15:01
Well they said they are achieving similar levels of drag as last year, so probably not. They're definitely still in the same thinking as last year in terms of not going super low drag(ala Ferrari) in favor of higher performance in corners.
They've said that? I haven't seen it, but I'm taking it to mean yes the same philosophy but without last year's compromise. More efficiency means they can have their downforce cake and also eat some more top speed. But let's see. Ferrari have probably come in the opposite direction.

Sevach

Last edited by Sevach on 14 Feb 2020, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.

Seanspeed

kimetic wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 16:07
Seanspeed wrote:
Well they said they are achieving similar levels of drag as last year, so probably not. They're definitely still in the same thinking as last year in terms of not going super low drag(ala Ferrari) in favor of higher performance in corners.
They've said that? I haven't seen it, but I'm taking it to mean yes the same philosophy but without last year's compromise. More efficiency means they can have their downforce cake and also eat some more top speed. But let's see. Ferrari have probably come in the opposite direction.
Could give them more flexibility to go with a lower downforce setup, true.

GPR-A

Seanspeed wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 16:04
LM10 wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 15:03
Seanspeed wrote:

It will have similar drag, but more downforce and a more powerful PU. So yes, I think they will be faster both on the straights and in corners.
Faster maybe, I just doubt 'a lot faster' as claimed. At these speeds and downforce/drag levels, you need a fair bit more power to gain meaningful boosts in straight line speeds. So I wouldn't expect some big increase here when they say they have similar drag levels as last year.
The last upgraded PU they introduced, was back in Belgium in September. That PU must have gone in to production by August. Since then, they would have 5 months to bring the upgraded PU for their first race of 2020. Even if by conservative estimates if they have added 25 HP, it would still be good enough to make them "a lot faster" on the straights than last year with the same level of drag. "IF" they would have found more than that, it would be anybody's guess as to how fast that would be on straight.

Seanspeed

GPR-A wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 16:12
Seanspeed wrote:
LM10 wrote:

It will have similar drag, but more downforce and a more powerful PU. So yes, I think they will be faster both on the straights and in corners.
Faster maybe, I just doubt 'a lot faster' as claimed. At these speeds and downforce/drag levels, you need a fair bit more power to gain meaningful boosts in straight line speeds. So I wouldn't expect some big increase here when they say they have similar drag levels as last year.
The last upgraded PU they introduced, was back in Belgium in September. That PU must have gone in to production by August. Since then, they would have 5 months to bring the upgraded PU for their first race of 2020. Even if by conservative estimates if they have added 25 HP, it would still be good enough to make them "a lot faster" on the straights than last year with the same level of drag. "IF" they would have found more than that, it would be anybody's guess as to how fast that would be on straight.
Well I wouldn't think 25hp would make a huge difference on top of 1000hp in a high downforce F1 car at 160mph+, but ok. I suppose what we consider 'a lot' is subjective.

Xwang

Is the hole in the rear suspension strut still present?

PlatinumZealot

Very adventurous rear suspension!
I can see how it unlocks the aero performance envelope.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Xwang

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 16:38
Is there any image covering this adventurous rear suspension?

bryanbrink

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 16:38
James Allison: “At the rear of the car we have gone for an adventurous suspension layout in order to free up aerodynamic development opportunity."

Are you quoting James Allison or was he quoting you? 8)

Just_a_fan

Seanspeed wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:

Although if one is able to make more drag for a given downforce level, one can trim a bit of downforce and drag and still be decently quick. Obviously, it's circuit dependent as to where the balance is between downforce and top speed. If you can have more downforce for the same drag at somewhere like Monza then you're in good shape.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

w1Y
w1Y

People need to wait and see before claiming the season over.

Ferrari and red bull would also have made improvements and adventurous suspensions havent been tested yet so could completely not work, especially with these tyres

Giblet

Mercedes was the first to add large data logging camera pods during testing, and have largely understood the tires better than everyone else, almost every single year.

They are using the same tires as last year, they already know them intimately, and where they were lacking.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Just_a_fan

Giblet wrote:
14 Feb 2020, 18:29
Mercedes was the first to add large data logging camera pods during testing, and have largely understood the tires better than everyone else, almost every single year.

They are using the same tires as last year, they already know them intimately, and where they were lacking.
One of the drivers is quite good at looking after the tyres too...maybe this year with even more downforce both will be as accomplished.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.