Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
izzy
izzy

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Big Tea wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 20:12
Yes, but what I considered walking distance and walking speed 20 years ago I now have a taxi for :oops:
The taxi is always there even if I use it for 10 min, it travels half a mile to collect me and a mile back.
Multiply this my how many million do something similar each day than X 7 x 365 etc
Take a mom with 3 kids on a wet day too

Safety and not being intrusive is the whole point of this.
oh okay, yes i suppose it won't actually be for students eventually. tho i have doubts about public transport generally, i think personal mobility is what people really want. But perhaps you'll be able to summon a pod

Big Tea

izzy wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 20:32
Big Tea wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 20:12
Yes, but what I considered walking distance and walking speed 20 years ago I now have a taxi for :oops:
The taxi is always there even if I use it for 10 min, it travels half a mile to collect me and a mile back.
Multiply this my how many million do something similar each day than X 7 x 365 etc
Take a mom with 3 kids on a wet day too

Safety and not being intrusive is the whole point of this.
oh okay, yes i suppose it won't actually be for students eventually. tho i have doubts about public transport generally, i think personal mobility is what people really want. But perhaps you'll be able to summon a pod
I believe something similar was intended to be in place in Tokyo in time for the Olympics, to ferry people from stations and airports to the hotels then hotels to sites of events.

I think it is this sort of thing that would make a real difference to townies having a car at all. Busstop to busstop is fine sometimes, but the 'last mile' means people keep the car.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AJI
AJI

The coronavirus has now spread to EV sales.

https://insideevs.com/news/400215/janua ... car-sales/

izzy
izzy

Big Tea wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 20:35
I believe something similar was intended to be in place in Tokyo in time for the Olympics, to ferry people from stations and airports to the hotels then hotels to sites of events.

I think it is this sort of thing that would make a real difference to townies having a car at all. Busstop to busstop is fine sometimes, but the 'last mile' means people keep the car.
i see, yes and as you say EV is a vital step to make it so controllable. And then if you can just call one to have to yourself, that's a key difference, and then convoy mode makes them more efficient than a railway apparently, for longer trips. And if it mirrors your phone properly that might make it personal enough. And tbf i know people who fire up their stone cold ICE SUV to do a few hundred yards

Big Tea

izzy wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 20:51
Big Tea wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 20:35

i see, yes and as you say EV is a vital step to make it so controllable. And then if you can just call one to have to yourself, that's a key difference, and then convoy mode makes them more efficient than a railway apparently, for longer trips. And if it mirrors your phone properly that might make it personal enough. And tbf i know people who fire up their stone cold ICE SUV to do a few hundred yards
Then they have to find somewhere to park it and walk a hundred mtr to where they were going anyway :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

AJI wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 20:39

So EV sales aren't supply limited, they are demand limited.

AJI
AJI

Greg Locock wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 02:16
AJI wrote:

So EV sales aren't supply limited, they are demand limited.
Supply limited in the 1st world, demand limited in the single largest market that has adopted EVs apparently...
Who would have thought a global pandemic and economic factors would influence people's decisions on vehicle purchase!

Andres125sx

izzy wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 19:38
Big Tea wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 18:14
This is interesting re electric and self driving
It is from 'the other end' rather than selling cars to us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMxeQzFoZb4
it all looks like walking distance, and walking speed! just sayin :mrgreen:
Did you expect first AVs on open roads moving at faster speeds?

It's common sense, first check how do they work on real scenarios with objects and people moving around at unexpected directions and speeds, then when those AVs prove they're safe speed will increase. At some point they will be able to move much faster than current cars, as computers don't get distracted, have constant 360 monitoring, and reaction times are milliseconds instead of tenths or even seconds like humans

Andres125sx

AJI wrote:

I'll dare to say the end of EVs subsidizing is much more relevant than coronavirus on EVs sales drop :wink:

izzy
izzy

Andres125sx wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 12:24
Did you expect first AVs on open roads moving at faster speeds?

It's common sense, first check how do they work on real scenarios with objects and people moving around at unexpected directions and speeds, then when those AVs prove they're safe speed will increase. At some point they will be able to move much faster than current cars, as computers don't get distracted, have constant 360 monitoring, and reaction times are milliseconds instead of tenths or even seconds like humans
yes i do agree, i wasn't totally serious, i think convoys is going to be the way. It did just look a bit silly in that example, with students queueing to get where they were going more slowly, and the boffins talking earnestly about how difficult it was to achieve :D

Xwang
Xwang

According to me when an electric car will be able to win le mans 24 without being helped by rules, then it will be the time when electric vehicles will be completely available.

hollus

Including swappable batteries, I hope?
Rivals, not enemies.

Xwang
Xwang

Why not.
From my point of view swappable batteries could be a better idea for long range and small "recharge" time than having hundreds of kilos of batteries to fullfill the long range requirement.
If on a 24 race the ev is faster it means that the recharge speed issue has been somewhat resolved by the technological point of view.
Then the market will say if it is economic for the end user and complete society too (at the moment a lot of people push for EV, but I am not sure that the cost and pollution of battery manufacturing and dismissal are completely taken into account).
IMHO

Andres125sx

Xwang wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 16:51
According to me when an electric car will be able to win le mans 24 without being helped by rules, then it will be the time when electric vehicles will be completely available.
ICE will be banned before than. A pointless hope if you ask me, none need 24h of continuous running, much less at race pace

Andres125sx

Xwang wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 18:37
but I am not sure that the cost and pollution of battery manufacturing and dismissal are completely taken into account. IMHO
That´s been discussed repeteadly. First, batteries can be recycled. Second, before that they can be re-used for example for home instalations or for grid backup (that´s not the name in english, sorry can´t remind it) as an old battery only fall on discharge rate, but for home applications or grid that parameter is almost irrelevant, so after X years of use into the car it was designed for, it can be used 3X or 4X on other applications. And finally all new batteries in development are taking very seriously this aspect, both to be manufactured without harming materials and to be easier and cheaper to recycle.

Also, EVs can use batteries, or not. Hydrogen is an option, fusion reactors might be other in the future :P