Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
godlameroso

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

OO7 wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 05:20
godlameroso wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 05:13
Whatever the purpose for burning oil, Mercedes exploited this to the point of taking an early power unit to avoid the lower oil burning requirement.

Whether burning oil is a result of going more extreme on piston rings, or turbo seals which don't seal well at low RPM's, or if they're burning oil for extra power is something we will never know, but we cannot deny what happened in 2018. You noticed how Mercedes engine basically didn't improve from 2018 to 2019, and they have to take extreme measures to stay ahead of Ferrari, and now Honda. The most obvious variable was the lower oil burning requirement, so I don't hold it against people to say Mercedes was exploiting it for gain.
I never suggested Mercedes hadn't exploited oil burning, I believe they have. My question was how this is related to their recent failures in testing.
If I had to guess, the cylinder head is harder to lubricate than the bottom end. My guess is something to do with the head.
Saishū kōnā

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

godlameroso wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 05:21
OO7 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
Whatever the purpose for burning oil, Mercedes exploited this to the point of taking an early power unit to avoid the lower oil burning requirement.

Whether burning oil is a result of going more extreme on piston rings, or turbo seals which don't seal well at low RPM's, or if they're burning oil for extra power is something we will never know, but we cannot deny what happened in 2018. You noticed how Mercedes engine basically didn't improve from 2018 to 2019, and they have to take extreme measures to stay ahead of Ferrari, and now Honda. The most obvious variable was the lower oil burning requirement, so I don't hold it against people to say Mercedes was exploiting it for gain.
I never suggested Mercedes hadn't exploited oil burning, I believe they have. My question was how this is related to their recent failures in testing.
If I had to guess, the cylinder head is harder to lubricate than the bottom end. My guess is something to do with the head.
Why is it harder to lubricate the cylinder head (chamber formed by the top part of the head and the valve cover were the camshafts rotate)?. What have lubricating the cylinder head have to do with burning oil inside the combustion chambers?. There is no way for oil to leak through the valve-guides, because if it does so will the compressed gas which replaces the wire valve springs and is at a much higher pressure than the oil pressure.

godlameroso

"My question was how this is related to their recent failures in testing."

Sorry I was addressing this comment, regarding Mercedes oil pressure issues. I guess it has to do with cylinder head/camshaft lubrication. The cams are the hardest part to lubricate on an engine.
Saishū kōnā

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

godlameroso wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 13:14
"My question was how this is related to their recent failures in testing."

Sorry I was addressing this comment, regarding Mercedes oil pressure issues. I guess it has to do with cylinder head/camshaft lubrication. The cams are the hardest part to lubricate on an engine.
"The cams (not the heads) are the hardest part to lubricate on an engine" but still you don't say why.

godlameroso

Because it's the last part of the rotating assembly to receive oil.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

The shut off the engine because of some sort if lubrication system alarm. That's all we know.

It could be low pressure, too high a pressure, oil consumption even. Maybe the engine shut down to prevent evidence of wrong doing? Haha
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

If an aluminum cam journal goes against a steel camshaft and both are subjected to excessive heat, which one is going to give way first? Cams are steel per the regulations.
Saishū kōnā

dren

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 16:53
The shut off the engine because of some sort if lubrication system alarm. That's all we know.

It could be low pressure, too high a pressure, oil consumption even. Maybe the engine shut down to prevent evidence of wrong doing? Haha
The exhaust bearings lost oil pressure.
Honda!

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

dren wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 17:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Meaning the exhaust camshaft bearings lost oil pressure?.

Xwang
Xwang

saviour stivala wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 07:37
godlameroso wrote:
OO7 wrote:

Why is it harder to lubricate the cylinder head (chamber formed by the top part of the head and the valve cover were the camshafts rotate)?. What have lubricating the cylinder head have to do with burning oil inside the combustion chambers?. There is no way for oil to leak through the valve-guides, because if it does so will the compressed gas which replaces the wire valve springs and is at a much higher pressure than the oil pressure.
Just an idea, maybe silly, but what if the compressed air used to move valves is in reality an air/oil moisture (like this ones https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... FVQn2AvAmW) which leaks through the valve guides?

dren

saviour stivala wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 17:49
dren wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 17:29
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Meaning the exhaust camshaft bearings lost oil pressure?.
Poor attempt at a joke.
Honda!

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Xwang wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 18:12
saviour stivala wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 07:37
godlameroso wrote:

Just an idea, maybe silly, but what if the compressed air used to move valves is in reality an air/oil moisture (like this ones https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... FVQn2AvAmW) which leaks through the valve guides?
“What if the compressed air used to move the valves is in realty an air/oil moisture?”. What deference does it make if oil moisture is added to the air pressure acting as a spring, if there is a leak through the valve guide seal the air pressure acting as a spring will leak with it (the air/oil moisture). In short there cannot be any leak at the valve guides, the only place this said air/oil moisture can get into the combustion chamber.

bosyber
bosyber

godlameroso wrote:

Mercedes plays interesting games, they say they weren't able to use the full potential of last year's engine due to inadequate cooling, yet they design an engine which is made to run hotter, which I fear will lead to the same excuse of not being able to use the full potential of the engine. Better than admitting they've been caught by Honda.
Not having much against someone saying Mercedes were burning oil - no clear proof, but seems very likely they did it first, though seemed less all-in than Ferrari (so had less to lose from oil burning being limited, one would think).

But the quoted part is fishy (I am not an expert, but ...) - the point of running the engine hotter is that it needs less cooling to keep it within operating range, so that is (part of) solving the cooling problem, I would think. It might have come with some issues (which is why they now had failures?), so it could end up that they haven't been succesful, so they cannot fully use the extra power they also (say they) have found. That's not, to my mind, playing games.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I still remember the whole grid covered in thick white smoke, after Lewis took of for the formation lap and Toto Wolff was like: just the turboseals not sealing during cold idle, nothing to see here.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

NL_Fer wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 22:10
I still remember the whole grid covered in thick white smoke, after Lewis took of for the formation lap and Toto Wolff was like: just the turboseals not sealing during cold idle, nothing to see here.
"The whole grid covered in thick white smoke after 44 took of for the formation lap". That white smoke (oil) either from turboseals not sealing during very low boost or piston rings developments lead them to not use oil control rings for a not so small power gain. Visit ‘qualifying only engine’ thread for power gain information. Since those days piston rings development must have progressed to such an extant such that they could do away with oil rings.