Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Pyrone89

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

What is a BEV
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Pyrone89 wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 20:37
What is a BEV
Bloody Electric Vehicles.

Some people will say it means a Battery Electric Vehicle, but they're just fake news hippies.

RZS10

izzy wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 18:55
All the £2m-each Lotus Evija BEV hypercars are sold out for 2020
More like "all [...] hypercars are sold out"... immediately after or even before they get announced ...hehe

Germany had only 117k 'grant applications' for EV subsidies total ... 14k in 2020 so far (out of ~500k new cars, which puts them at ~3% of all car sales)

izzy
izzy

RZS10 wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 22:27
izzy wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 18:55
All the £2m-each Lotus Evija BEV hypercars are sold out for 2020
More like "all [...] hypercars are sold out"... immediately after or even before they get announced ...hehe

Germany had only 117k 'grant applications' for EV subsidies total ... 14k in 2020 so far (out of ~500k new cars, which puts them at ~3% of all car sales)
yes it looks like hypercar buyers aren't necessarily too bothered about the noise after all! Well of course you can hear the hifi a LOT better :D

3%, is about the same in the UK. I think that's the whole supply tho, and just as well really or the infrastructure would melt at this point

RZS10

Most buyers don't care about the noise because those things will never get driven most of the time, unfortunately.

henry

izzy wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 22:44

3%, is about the same in the UK. I think that's the whole supply tho, and just as well really or the infrastructure would melt at this point
Which part of the infrastructure do you think would melt?

Let’s say we end up with 50000 new BEV. Average U.K. car mileage is 100000 that’s at most 4 MWh per vehicle. If each car charges every night that’s 10kWh a night, 3 hours charging. That’s 200000 MWh/yr additional generation needed or a 0.06% increase.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

izzy
izzy

henry wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 00:36
izzy wrote:

Let’s say we end up with 50000 new BEV. Average U.K. car mileage is 100000 that’s at most 4 MWh per vehicle. If each car charges every night that’s 10kWh a night, 3 hours charging. That’s 200000 MWh/yr additional generation needed or a 0.06% increase.
well i was going off some general nightmare scenario fretting tbh more than any particular numbers, but with 2.3m new cars 3% is 69k. Anyway i think it's true that they'll have to upgrade the electricity infrastructure by the time we've all gone electric, so it's not a bad thing it's happening gradually. And also of course we need the colossal investment to find some better battery technology, and that needs sales but gradual too

Andres125sx

henry wrote:
izzy wrote:

And that´s ignoring self-production increases, wich will increase dramatically in next years

henry

izzy wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 00:51
henry wrote:
izzy wrote:

well i was going off some general nightmare scenario fretting tbh more than any particular numbers, but with 2.3m new cars 3% is 69k. Anyway i think it's true that they'll have to upgrade the electricity infrastructure by the time we've all gone electric, so it's not a bad thing it's happening gradually. And also of course we need the colossal investment to find some better battery technology, and that needs sales but gradual too
A minor point but I don’t think we’re going to see 2.3m cars sold this year nearer to 2 million. I was doing a bit of envelope maths. For instance I also used 400 days in the year and the actual yearly mileage is more like 8400. Given the uncertainties in the situation it gets us to the ball park.

Sure there will be a need for more electricity generation. But we’re not going to melt down any time soon. At the 40% growth rate I used in 2032 the BEV fleet would be 7m using 5% of current installed generation capacity. Building the charging point infrastructure looks like it’s a more difficult task.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

izzy
izzy

henry wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 10:19
A minor point but I don’t think we’re going to see 2.3m cars sold this year nearer to 2 million. I was doing a bit of envelope maths. For instance I also used 400 days in the year and the actual yearly mileage is more like 8400. Given the uncertainties in the situation it gets us to the ball park.

Sure there will be a need for more electricity generation. But we’re not going to melt down any time soon. At the 40% growth rate I used in 2032 the BEV fleet would be 7m using 5% of current installed generation capacity. Building the charging point infrastructure looks like it’s a more difficult task.
Yes i was thinking all the infrastructure really, not just generation, houses and charging points as you say, so 3% isn't really a disappointing start to BEVs afaic, and enough batteries is an issue already

Big Tea

henry wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 10:19
izzy wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 00:51
henry wrote:

There would also be a slight 'dividend' of returns from refineries and petrol service industry, which is big enough not to be ignored
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Honda's just announced they are withdrawing their BEV from the USA market, while GM have emphasised their electric future. Icebergs are jostling around in strange directions.

Zynerji

If oil stays this low priced now that OPEC+ has fractured on policy, electric will get back burner'ed again.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Australia is certainly making a lot of noises around hydrogen, which does seem at odds with the rest of the world (outside of Toyota and Honda).

The problem for Australia is a significant component of their economy is predicated on digging minerals out of the ground. Perhaps the government sees hydrogen as a replacement industry for coal and natural gas extraction?

The tech seems a bit too nascent to commit to it (IMO).

hollus

No politics, please. Those last posts (removed) were bound to offend many people, there are always many of the opposite opinion.
Rivals, not enemies.