Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
michl420
michl420
8
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

Isn't this the brake cooling outlet, and would it be also illegal?

mmred
mmred
-2
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:19 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

michl420 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:01 am
Isn't this the brake cooling outlet, and would it be also illegal?
It was meant to be a temporary fix
Cause accellerating the flux near the brake ducts gains an aero advantage in a proihibited area also of It s not direct toward the brakes itself

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
444
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

michl420 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:01 am
Isn't this the brake cooling outlet, and would it be also illegal?
No. This straight thru tunnel only serves as a bypass now and does not enter the brakes. This was one of the suggested ways in addition to blocking the internal channel to the brakes that Mercedes could make their upright conform to the rules.

User avatar
ScrewCaptain27
550
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:13 am
Location: Udine, Italy

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

Apparently the car is able to vary its Ackermann according to corner radius! DAS is just a part of a system which was introduced last year.
Source (Italian): https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-se ... n/4773020/
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

bill shoe
bill shoe
250
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:18 am
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 pm
Apparently the car is able to vary its Ackermann according to corner radius! DAS is just a part of a system which was introduced last year.
Source (Italian): https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-se ... n/4773020/
Sweet! I'm guessing fast (large radius) corners have little or negative Ackerman top optimize total front-end lateral grip, and slow (small radius) corners have lots of Ackerman to help drag the inside wheel (fore-aft) which helps rotate the car.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
598
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

Isn't this the sort of thing the RedBull now has with its differently placed steering rack?
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

User avatar
izzy
69
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 pm
Apparently the car is able to vary its Ackermann according to corner radius! DAS is just a part of a system which was introduced last year.
Source (Italian): https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-se ... n/4773020/
i thought ackerman steering IS varying the steering like this, progressively turning the inside wheel a bit more with more lock, what's new? :?

User avatar
ScrewCaptain27
550
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:13 am
Location: Udine, Italy

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

izzy wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:47 pm
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 pm
Apparently the car is able to vary its Ackermann according to corner radius! DAS is just a part of a system which was introduced last year.
Source (Italian): https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-se ... n/4773020/
i thought ackerman steering IS varying the steering like this, progressively turning the inside wheel a bit more with more lock, what's new? :?
Ackermann is the difference in steering angle of the wheels, with the inside one turning in more than the outside usually. It is normally fixed in the steering geometry, on this car (and the W10) it is constantly variable according to the article.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

User avatar
izzy
69
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:52 pm
izzy wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:47 pm
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 pm
Apparently the car is able to vary its Ackermann according to corner radius! DAS is just a part of a system which was introduced last year.
Source (Italian): https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-se ... n/4773020/
i thought ackerman steering IS varying the steering like this, progressively turning the inside wheel a bit more with more lock, what's new? :?
Ackermann is the difference in steering angle of the wheels, with the inside one turning in more than the outside usually. It is normally fixed in the steering geometry, on this car (and the W10) it is constantly variable according to the article.
yes that's what i said, it's varying the steering progressively, the inside more than the outside, that's just normal Ackerman they do it with the geometry, it doesn't need hydraulics. The translated article just says "adapt the convergence of the front wheels according to the radius of the curve" which is basic standard Ackerman - the more lock they put in, the bigger the angle difference

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
444
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

What we do know is that the version of DAS we saw has two settings.

User avatar
jagunx51
85
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:06 am

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

DAS will be banned on 2021, and FIA decided to postponed 2021 regulation...... is this mean that DAS could still be used on 2021 ?
............!!!!

e30ernest
e30ernest
1
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:47 am

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

jagunx51 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:10 am
DAS will be banned on 2021, and FIA decided to postponed 2021 regulation...... is this mean that DAS could still be used on 2021 ?
Pretty much, since 2021 will in effect run under the same rules we are running in today. The ban will come with the rules change, which has now been moved to 2022.

User avatar
Jambier
10
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 am
Location: France

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

Yes and if it is banned then....

Mercedes will ask for a security exception like McLaren, and change its car :D

Wass85
Wass85
-9
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

Have all cars got to stay in Parc Ferme until the season starts or can teams try and add DAS to their cars in this downtime?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
598
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: Mercedes W11

Post

Parc Ferme is an event issue, not a season issue, I believe. The cars go in to parc ferme after a certain point in a race weekend ("the event"). The are certain things that are locked-in for the season such as homologated items, but that's a different issue.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"