[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jjn9128

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

yinlad wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 23:10
I also got the out of space error, but I don't actually think I was out of space, so not sure what was going on there
That's why the "". I've started using paraview as I can look specifically at what I want, even compare 2 cases side-by-side. Not a complaint at the auto output.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

LVDH

jjn9128 wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 14:28
yinlad wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 23:10
I also got the out of space error, but I don't actually think I was out of space, so not sure what was going on there
That's why the "". I've started using paraview as I can look specifically at what I want, even compare 2 cases side-by-side. Not a complaint at the auto output.
That will soon be possible in MFlow. Once more there are odd Windows issues to fix first. I am really hope this Ubuntu on Windows will actually work and solve all of the Windows related issues. Newer OF versions even have an adjoint surface solver, which would be ultra cool for MVRC.

jjn9128 wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 21:39
How do we change what images are output? e.g. I'm getting an "out of space" error because I'm outputting 50 X slices, but all I'm really interested in is CpTot - can I deactivate Ux, Cp...etc? Similarly I'm not interested in the +/- 0.5 on the surface Cp contour.
Right now this is not an option in MFlow and do not think I want it to be an option. You can manually delete stuff in the sampleDict file, located in the system folder.

wb92 wrote:
07 Apr 2020, 18:27
So MFlow_2003 works like a charm :)

Easy, it's not drama with colors. It's just that in previous Cp slices there was more contrast between colors, so you could see the areas where for example FW, RW, diffuser works the strongest. It was just bit easier to quickly spot it on, but as mentioned, no drama. Glad that software works without errors and initial phase of WBR20 development can go without delays ^^
In the settings, you can switch the color map, used for post-processing, even after the run is done, just apply the new settings, build the case once more, do not solve again and hit the post-process button.

schwepes

sneak peak :?

wb92

jjn9128 wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 14:28

I use very fancy software called "pictures" to compare cases :) it's enough when you can output around 100 pics for each axis.
LVDH wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 21:09
In the settings, you can switch the color map, used for post-processing, even after the run is done, just apply the new settings, build the case once more, do not solve again and hit the post-process button.
I noticed that, but was afraid to use :P still I'm fine with what is available, on top of that I have bit more tools to compare cases than last year, so let's see how it will go now.

So if sneak peak season is open then...
MVRC - WBRacing

jjn9128

wb92 wrote:
08 Apr 2020, 22:06
I use very fancy software called "pictures" to compare cases :) it's enough when you can output around 100 pics for each axis.
Yes but can you do this with ya fancy "pictures"? :P
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

wb92

jjn9128 wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 18:46
wb92 wrote:
Yes but can you do this with ya fancy "pictures"? :P
https://qd1lqw.db.files.1drv.com/y4mfr0 ... pmode=none
Not automatically, but I don't need oilflow so often.

Hmm... what's interesting on your picture is that oilflow lines are not symmetrical. There are 2 cases side-by-side, right?
I can do that with setting 2 pictures windows side-by-side also, in the end I don't need to have them like that, but what works for you it works :) interesting that I guess most of us have bit different approach to post-pro data
MVRC - WBRacing

CAEdevice

Sorry guys, this year I have been bit too busy and I did not follow this thread and MVRC. May I ask you a summary?

Is the CAD template (as the rulebook) exactly the same of 2019? Are there any changes about the mesh and boundary condition in the software (I mean, the numerical results of 2019 are comparable to this year simulations)?

jjn9128

CAEdevice wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 19:31
Sorry guys, this year I have been bit too busy and I did not follow this thread and MVRC. May I ask you a summary?

Is the CAD template (as the rulebook) exactly the same of 2019? Are there any changes about the mesh and boundary condition in the software (I mean, the numerical results of 2019 are comparable to this year simulations)?
Templates are the 2019 V09.

wb92 wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 19:00
Not automatically, but I don't need oilflow so often.

Hmm... what's interesting on your picture is that oilflow lines are not symmetrical. There are 2 cases side-by-side, right?
I can do that with setting 2 pictures windows side-by-side also, in the end I don't need to have them like that, but what works for you it works :) interesting that I guess most of us have bit different approach to post-pro data
Yeah 2 cases. I'm trying to get Y250 and subsequent vortices working in harmony so I'm wanting to seen the rotation. ATM they're getting sucked under the floor rather than passing the around the bargeboards.
#aerogandalf

Koldskaal

wb92 wrote:
So if sneak peak season is open then...
Let's do it!
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

jjn9128

Can't be bothered with spoilers - this is the path I'm going down this year. Already better cooling than I managed last time just struggling for overall downforce and balance.

#aerogandalf

variante

uuu they're loking sexy.
I would show you mine, if only i had an idea of what the car will actually look like... I'm testing yet another unconventional sidepod. Looking fairly promising.

variante

mistake
Last edited by variante on 11 Apr 2020, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

TalnoRacing

I'd like to ask for help.

In which folders in the MFlow case file should I place the driver helmet, halo, gearbox, exhaust, suspension and mirrors? The wheels have dedicated folders but I am unsure about the other parts. Also, what should I name these? If I use the default template names I get an error message in MFlow.

jjn9128

TalnoRacing wrote:
11 Apr 2020, 10:09
I'd like to ask for help.

In which folders in the MFlow case file should I place the driver helmet, halo, gearbox, exhaust, suspension and mirrors? The wheels have dedicated folders but I am unsure about the other parts. Also, what should I name these? If I use the default template names I get an error message in MFlow.
I've been putting them in "default" which has been working.
#aerogandalf

CAEdevice

Hi, just another question about the rules: can I submit the car I used in the last 2019 race? Would it be fully compliant?