COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

China is restarting, Austria is loosing restrictions. Italy and Spain are making planes for easing up. Testing capacity is increasing every week.

There is not enough money to keep the whole economy on hold for a whole year. There must be a restart, in a save, smart and controlled way.

The F1 circus in a closed environment in each country with regular testing and temperature measurements and no local people on the paddock could be save enough.

izzy
izzy

NL_Fer wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 13:55
China is restarting, Austria is loosing restrictions. Italy and Spain are making planes for easing up. Testing capacity is increasing every week.

There is not enough money to keep the whole economy on hold for a whole year. There must be a restart, in a save, smart and controlled way.

The F1 circus in a closed environment in each country with regular testing and temperature measurements and no local people on the paddock could be save enough.
yes i mean the permanent tracks are all fenced and enclosed! Once the F1 community is established, tested and quarantined, they can stay together in these huge fenced areas and be safe. They can even stay in their motorhomes. Do the races and broadcast them to us. And it sounded like Ross & co have tuned into this

PlatinumZealot

I hope they find a test that tells you how susceptible someone is to getting comolications from this disease. This could go a long way in getting the economy back on track.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hollus

Not that I think it will happen, but if they have to go to a track and lock themselves there for several races... didn't Paul Ricard have like a gazillion track configurations?
Rivals, not enemies.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Silverstone makes the only sense if they are going for a "lock us away and we'll do a load of races at one track" approach. More than half of the grid is already in the UK. Anywhere else requires the majority (if they race in Italy) / all (if they race anywhere else) of the teams to change countries.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy
izzy

hollus wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 17:03
Not that I think it will happen, but if they have to go to a track and lock themselves there for several races... didn't Paul Ricard have like a gazillion track configurations?
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yl3nBRY9-Ks/ ... tellet.JPG
And not to even say... SPRINKLERS \:D/ \:D/

There's so much scope for sprinklers it's a crime they've been ignored really. Fansprinkle for a start

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 17:39
Silverstone makes the only sense if they are going for a "lock us away and we'll do a load of races at one track" approach. More than half of the grid is already in the UK. Anywhere else requires the majority (if they race in Italy) / all (if they race anywhere else) of the teams to change countries.
Yes they could start with Silverstone and then move as things improve and we get bored. Haas and Alpha Tauri have bases in F1 valley too

aral
aral

Races "behind closed doors" wont happen. And why on earth would silverstone be considered for a number of races? It has no more right than many other tracks. Further, if the non Britiush teams do not agree to it, there will be no championship.
Remember, even if fans are excluded, there are still going to be hundreds of team member intermingling, as well as TV crews etc. FIA have now even let the official photographers go.
Yes, there may be some chance of a few races at the end of the year, but double billing etc is fraught with problems as it is in breach of conditions for the championship, and the approval of all teams would have to be obtained, together with a complete rethink of payments etc to teams. I believe that the bestr that we can hope for is a series of non-championship races where new ideas could be tried. But change the entire format of the agreed championship, and there will be considerable opposition from various teams

Scorpaguy

...I think it is time to consider that there will be no racing in 2020 and what was to be the 2020 F1 season is going to become the 2021 season. 2020 will be relegated to an asterisk. F1 will likely need to find ways to fund/float loans to keep all the teams on the grid. The apex of the Covid bell curve is looking to be long-lasting.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

aral wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 21:06
And why on earth would silverstone be considered for a number of races? It has no more right than many other tracks.
As was explained, most of the grid is based in the UK. Getting Ferrari in to the UK is likely to be easier than getting the whole grid in to another country.

It's not about a track having more right, it was about pragmatism and simplification.

Don't worry, your beloved Ferrari won't be left out. :roll:

Oh yes, and FOM's 400+ personnel are being paid for by the UK thanks to the UK's furlough payment scheme.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

aral
aral

No need for a smart comment ! I enjoy all teams, so i dont understand your biased comment!
But it is irrelevant as to where the teams are based, although some could argue that some teams could have a home advantage. Any racing should be impartial, and currently, the country with the least problem from covid 19, is Germany, so why not consider Germany, which has two suitable circuits?
But, as i said, the main stumbling block is contracts ! That is why, apart from the covid 19 problem lasting longer than anticipated, there is little chance of an actual championship being held this year. Brawn is clutching at straws and trying to protect the FIA from the huge losses that they will incur....understandable, as that is his job.
Interesting that Williams have now effectively sold out to Latifi, as they were in dire straits as a result of closure due to covid 19.

izzy
izzy

aral wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 21:47
No need for a smart comment ! I enjoy all teams, so i dont understand your biased comment!
But it is irrelevant as to where the teams are based, although some could argue that some teams could have a home advantage. Any racing should be impartial, and currently, the country with the least problem from covid 19, is Germany, so why not consider Germany, which has two suitable circuits?
But, as i said, the main stumbling block is contracts ! That is why, apart from the covid 19 problem lasting longer than anticipated, there is little chance of an actual championship being held this year. Brawn is clutching at straws and trying to protect the FIA from the huge losses that they will incur....understandable, as that is his job.
Interesting that Williams have now effectively sold out to Latifi, as they were in dire straits as a result of closure due to covid 19.
the teams will do it so that they can have 2/3 of their prize money and perhaps all of their sponsor money instead of no money

there'll be a championship because a lot of the prize money is decided on places in it, and also more people will watch and buy things from advertisers and sponsors

Germany would be great! Both of them. it doesn't matter about the state of the epidemic in different places because the concept is that a bunch of people get together and then don't mingle outside of their group. It's the same concept as self-isolating in a family. We can have Silverstone and Paul Ricard (with sprinklers and without) and Nurb and Hock and any other fenced off track they can drive the trucks to without mingling outside the circus - drive in through the gates and close them behind

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 15:03
I hope they find a test that tells you how susceptible someone is to getting comolications from this disease. This could go a long way in getting the economy back on track.
One astonishing part of who is 'susceptible' is that men seem 3 times as likely as women.
There is also a penalty' with higher body mass, so maybe tied in here.

Seems we need thin teenage women to have the best chance :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wass85
Wass85

I would love a full season at the Nurburgring , it would be great seeing how much a F1 car actually improves over a season.

aral
aral

"One astonishing part of who is 'susceptible' is that men seem 3 times as likely as women."

Where have you got that figure from? General consenus from figures of various countries, is that the figure is actually 50 50 but with a slight leaning towards males.