Some 2T questions.

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Zynerji

Some 2T questions.

So, just coming up to speed on the 2T tech as F1 talks of moving into that direction, but a few things are unclear to me after reading up.

1. Is it necessary to feed the air through the crankcase, or could it be sent from outside? Does a VLIM make sense for 2T?

2. I see lots of roller bearing cranks in the snowmobile world. It's that a 2T thing? Why?

3. If the expansion exhaust is used for scavenging, is this required for a turbo setup? Possible VLEM with movable folded horn?

I have a few more, but would like to hear about these first.

Thanks!

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Re: Some 2T questions.

Zynerji wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 19:29
1. Is it necessary to feed the air through the crankcase, or could it be sent from outside? Does a VLIM make sense for 2T?
2. I see lots of roller bearing cranks in the snowmobile world. It's that a 2T thing? Why?
3. If the expansion exhaust is used for scavenging, is this required for a turbo setup? Possible VLEM with movable folded horn?
normally/traditionally
1 NA must use crankcase induction - Boosted avoids using crankcase
2 roller bearings used to minimise oil need as oil is in petroil or is pumped oil ending after 1 pass in total loss
3 tuned length exhaust action is not necessary/desirable

btw a few million 2T European-normal-sized road cars were sold c 1930s - 1970s (almost all DKW derived)

Big Tea

Re: Some 2T questions.

Tommy Cookers wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 20:39
Zynerji wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 19:29
normally/traditionally
1 NA must use crankcase induction - Boosted avoids using crankcase
2 roller bearings used to minimise oil need as oil is in petroil or is pumped oil ending after 1 pass in total loss
3 tuned length exhaust action is not necessary/desirable

btw a few million 2T European-normal-sized road cars were sold c 1930s - 1970s (almost all DKW derived)
A friend had a Wartberg (is it Knight????) 3 cyl 2t it sounded brill and did not go too bad after a bit of modding.
I seem to remember it being red hot after a run and steaming like a train

Edit, just googled it, which I should have don in the first place, apparently it was Wartburg 353 in E Germany
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.