[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

djos wrote:
28 May 2020, 00:25
McG wrote:
28 May 2020, 00:12
It's the same as anything on the internet... More people come on to complain than to praise, and clickbait negativity gets more views.

Stop perpetuating the someone else's agenda and you'll be ridiculed far less.
Sorry, but some of us are realists as well as fans of Maclaren F1 and Maclaren cars - you, on the other hand, have constructed yourself a pair of DIY Maclaren blinkers so you can avoid seeing reality! #-o
Is there a reason you keep calling McLaren "Maclaren"?

Anyway... McLaren is one of the companies that is more vulnerable than others because of their recent history. Because of two mayor investments (the real start of McLaren automotive and the buyout of Ron Dennis), McLaren Group has more almost more debt then it's worth. It also looks like they have no stocks they can sell and from memory, they have to refinance around 300-500 mln of debt a year (They are short term deals). As a business it doesn't really shouldn't matter if their shareholders are wealthy or not, they are also in it to make money and not as a hobby.

So, yes, I think McLaren is under real pressure. In their current form they are a young company without any reserves. Two years ago they started selling their heritage collection and the remainder is now under finance. This feels a bit like desperation. From their financial papers I couldn't make out what the status is of their real estate, if it's under finance already or not.

Lets hope for their and the workers sake sales don't plummet to much after this.

djos

Jolle wrote:
28 May 2020, 00:41
djos wrote:
28 May 2020, 00:25
McG wrote:
28 May 2020, 00:12
It's the same as anything on the internet... More people come on to complain than to praise, and clickbait negativity gets more views.

Stop perpetuating the someone else's agenda and you'll be ridiculed far less.
Sorry, but some of us are realists as well as fans of Maclaren F1 and Maclaren cars - you, on the other hand, have constructed yourself a pair of DIY Maclaren blinkers so you can avoid seeing reality! #-o
Is there a reason you keep calling McLaren "Maclaren"?
Carbon interface error on my part - apparently my phone doesn't know how to spell McLaren and I failed to notice. #-o

EDIT: I just noticed the thread title is incorrectly capitalized (missing the capital L) - makes me happy im not the only one messing up the spelling! :lol:
Last edited by djos on 28 May 2020, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Zak is happy with the new F1 financial regs starting in 2021:

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/05/28/mc ... nt-moment/
“F1 has been financially unsustainable for some time, and inaction would have risked the future of F1 and its participants, who are to be commended for resolving this issue collectively and determinedly.

“A uniform budget cap, in concert with more even distribution of revenue among the teams, will ensure greater competition and more people wanting to watch live and on TV, driving more sustained revenues to underpin the long-term financial health of the teams and the sport.

“Ultimately the fans win, and if the fans win, the whole sport wins too.”
Personally I think they are way overdue - this pandemic has been hell on earth for many reasons, but I'm glad F1 got some sense beaten into it as a result of the economic impacts.
"In downforce we trust"

bill shoe
bill shoe

Zak Brown interviewed about Indycar issues in general, including comments about the new McLaren Indycar team. I think the main purpose of this IndyCar team is to try and goose McLaren street car sales in their largest market (U.S.).

https://racer.com/2020/05/28/the-week-i ... zak-brown/

M840TR
M840TR

bill shoe wrote:
28 May 2020, 22:49
Zak Brown interviewed about Indycar issues in general, including comments about the new McLaren Indycar team. I think the main purpose of this IndyCar team is to try and goose McLaren street car sales in their largest market (U.S.).

https://racer.com/2020/05/28/the-week-i ... zak-brown/
That and adjusting to the budget cap.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I wonder if Zak will talk to Rokit
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

les arcs
les arcs

Ground Effect wrote:
29 May 2020, 17:47
Why?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

les arcs wrote:
29 May 2020, 18:09
Ground Effect wrote:
Why?
They cancelled the contract with Williams, but said they’re still exploring other strategic partnerships in the near future.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

les arcs
les arcs

Don't buy it. Does Rokit have a budget? I remember Kendrick from F3 in 85, lots of talk....
Ground Effect wrote:
29 May 2020, 19:10
les arcs wrote:
29 May 2020, 18:09
Ground Effect wrote:
Why?
They cancelled the contract with Williams, but said they’re still exploring other strategic partnerships in the near future.

cbbcisace
cbbcisace

Ground Effect wrote:
Could happen seeing as the OnePlus deal has expired....

adrianjordan

Having seen the adverts on TV where Rokit leveraged the Williams F1 name, I don't think that kind of cheap image is a good fit for a premium brand like McLaren.

Plus I still wonder whether Rokit cancelled the contract or Williams did. My money is on the latter and I would question whether Rokit weren't late with payments or something like that to prompt that move.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Vital Spark
Vital Spark

Re: McLaren MCL35

Does anyone know who supplies McLaren with fuel and lubricants since their split with Petrobras?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

adrianjordan wrote:
30 May 2020, 10:42
Having seen the adverts on TV where Rokit leveraged the Williams F1 name, I don't think that kind of cheap image is a good fit for a premium brand like McLaren.

Plus I still wonder whether Rokit cancelled the contract or Williams did. My money is on the latter and I would question whether Rokit weren't late with payments or something like that to prompt that move.
I’ve seen reports that Williams actually cancelled the deal. But it sounds like they did it to facilitate or remove any hindrance to a potential sale, since they were the title sponsor. Sorry, going more off topic,

F1NAC

Vital Spark wrote:
30 May 2020, 12:22
Does anyone know who supplies McLaren with fuel and lubricants since their split with Petrobras?

Castrol as Renault

ScottR267
ScottR267

F1NAC wrote:
30 May 2020, 20:47
Vital Spark wrote:
30 May 2020, 12:22

Castrol as Renault
I’d imagine this will change again next year to Petronas with the switch to Mercedes engines?