[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Lando had a look on the inside of Perez which compromised him driving out of the corner and Leclerc just nailed him for that little mistake. To be fair, the ferrari had some really good race pace later on. Seems to like the hards

mclaren111

Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:51
We have taken another large step from last year. Podium from the first race, and now we have beaten one of the big 3 that is Ferrari. Congratulations to the team and let's keep pushing. Mclaren will become the King of Formula 1 again.

Bravo to James Key for the aerodynamic wonder they created. Bravo to Zak Brown and Andreas Seidl for reorganising the team. We are starting to see results.
And Peter Prodromou - Chief Aerodynamicist... He's back to Old Self....

Marc.W

mclaren111 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 09:30
Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:51
We have taken another large step from last year. Podium from the first race, and now we have beaten one of the big 3 that is Ferrari. Congratulations to the team and let's keep pushing. Mclaren will become the King of Formula 1 again.

Bravo to James Key for the aerodynamic wonder they created. Bravo to Zak Brown and Andreas Seidl for reorganising the team. We are starting to see results.
And Peter Prodromou - Chief Aerodynamicist... He's back to Old Self....
Seems like Key has given him the direction he needed, though I hope the team sacrifices a little bit of 1 lap pace for better race pace this weekend.

I loved how the whole weekend McLaren were acting like a top team, first out in Q3 along with Mercedes, forcing the second pit stop for the midfield which put them in the best position to fight the pink Mercedes, they didn't just want to hold on to the good positions, they wanted to better them.

geogate
geogate

what makes the difference now is that Mclaren have a solid car, but they also have a competent and professional Race Team. Aside from car performance, they now look and sound like a top team again.
The devastation Éric Boullier caused has finally been redressed

mclaren111

geogate wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 09:52
what makes the difference now is that Mclaren have a solid car, but they also have a competent and professional Race Team. Aside from car performance, they now look and sound like a top team again.
The devastation Éric Boullier caused has finally been redressed
Amen... Getting rid of Boullier & Matt Morris was a stroke of genius...

Jambier

Very happy for this team!

I think RIC will bring value as well, and with Ferrari being down right now, team should try to get P3 this year!!!

This will be tough anyway with Racing point and Ferrari opposition

Andres125sx

Keep calm, do not overreact, Ferrari will solve their problems

And keep in mind Lecrerc finished 2nd despite the poor grid position and problems, so they may be far from Mercedes, but that does not mean McLaren can fight them

genarro
genarro

so how much did we close the gap to Mercedes. in qualy pace we are less than a second behind what about race pace (compared to last year)??

I know that last year Spielberg was not as good for Merc and was great for us but nevertheless..The main goal for this season is to reduce the deficit to Mercedes and RB and Ferrari.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Andres125sx wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 11:19

And keep in mind Lecrerc finished 2nd despite the poor grid position and problems, so they may be far from Mercedes, but that does not mean McLaren can fight them
Without the safety cars, McLaren would have comfortably finished ahead of Ferrari

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Macklaren wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 11:41
Andres125sx wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 11:19

Without the safety cars, McLaren would have comfortably finished ahead of Ferrari
Exactly. Also with McLaren being traditionally strong with development, Ferrari won't have it easy for sure.

genarro
genarro

and Ferrari is in the middle of fixing its correlation problems so their car isnt beeing developed right now

Big Tea

Which ever way you look at it, much of the success this weekend was due to other cars problems. On a normal weekend both Ferrari and Red Bull would probably have been in front of Lando, but what the hell, it all counts I will take it thank you and the same any weekend please.
That does not distract from how good the car, team and drivers were in their own right though, still on a nice upward curve and a little extra success can only help.

Defiantly on the way back to where they should be. Well done all.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Seidl: “James Key and his team have some good updates in the pipeline coming [in the next] weeks and months, so I think we have everything in our hands to hopefully fight for this best position in the midfield again.”

Sounds promising
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 12:52
Seidl: “James Key and his team have some good updates in the pipeline coming [in the next] weeks and months, so I think we have everything in our hands to hopefully fight for this best position in the midfield again.”

Sounds promising
I guess he means fourth. Realistically it won't happen, but if we were able to push for 3rd and challenge Red Bull on occasion, I'd say that was a very good season. Finishing fourth again and closing the gap a little is what I would call another good season.

I want a very good season, so fingers crossed. Hopefully we can pull ahead of Ferrari before the redesigned car arrives.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

M840TR
M840TR

Big Tea wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 12:45
Which ever way you look at it, much of the success this weekend was due to other cars problems. On a normal weekend both Ferrari and Red Bull would probably have been in front of Lando, but what the hell, it all counts I will take it thank you and the same any weekend please.
That does not distract from how good the car, team and drivers were in their own right though, still on a nice upward curve and a little extra success can only help.

Defiantly on the way back to where they should be. Well done all.
Agree with everything besides the Ferrari part. They had good race pace but couldn't keep up with Mclaren and RP on pure speed. The reason Leclerc overtook Norris is because he was stuck behind a slow Perez and misjudged the braking and cornering. If not for that Charles would have matched Norris at best, but not have outdriven him.

Their lap-time deficit is also primarily constituted of engine power, and due to the development restrictions they won't be able to claw back much, if any, performance this year. As far as the aero is concerned, they might best the midfielders at high-downforce tracks like Hungary but PU input remains significantly relevant throughout the calender.

If I had the choice to bet on a horse with a consistent track record of correlation issues & mismanagement versus a well-structured, feisty and level-headed team on an upward trajectory - under the weight of the fact that only relatively modest pace can be recovered with in-season development - I'd choose the latter one.