2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Re: 2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

Big Tea wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 23:36
ALO_Power wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 23:22
A bit of a stupid question, why is everyone calling this weekend's Austrian gp as Styrian gp since it will be held in the same place.
So that when you look at the report you know which is which.

There will be the British GP at Silverstone, then the following week the Celebration 70th GP erm, also at Silverstone :D
Ah aight, just name tricks.

Jolle
Jolle

Albon made a risky move going round the outside, late. The risk was that his “gap” could disappear before he completed the move, because the inside car is committed to a certain minimal radius when you pick your apex point. Part of a risky move that it can backfire, as it did. Now the stewards made this a non risky move next time, you just have to be just ahead around the apex, which isn’t that hard to do with the extra speed going the long way round.

6 of 12
6 of 12

Jolle wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 23:48
Albon made a risky move going round the outside, late. The risk was that his “gap” could disappear before he completed the move, because the inside car is committed to a certain minimal radius when you pick your apex point. Part of a risky move that it can backfire, as it did. Now the stewards made this a non risky move next time, you just have to be just ahead around the apex, which isn’t that hard to do with the extra speed going the long way round.
Although I don't fully agree with your analysis, I have to say that I am usually the first person to demand that Hamilton be penalised, however, in this case, I thought it was a racing incident. (Obviously my heart was still very happy with the decision, but my brain knows... yeah.)
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

Jolle
Jolle

6 of 12 wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 23:51
Jolle wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 23:48
Although I don't fully agree with your analysis, I have to say that I am usually the first person to demand that Hamilton be penalised, however, in this case, I thought it was a racing incident. (Obviously my heart was still very happy with the decision, but my brain knows... yeah.)
Bit like a dive bomb but then from the outside. The late overtake around the outside compromised Hamilton’s ability to react on Albon being in his path out the corner.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Oleo wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 22:42
foxmulder_ms wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 01:15
dans79 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 22:53
In my opinion, this is a bone-headed move by Albon at worst, and a racing incident at best.
  • They are almost at the Apex of the turn before Albon has drawn level with Lewis.
  • At the point of contact Albon's car is fully inside the white line. Not to mention the racing line on that corner's exit is almost the entire car over the white line.
  • From the apex to the point of impact Lewis has full lock on, hence the reason you see him throw up his left hand in frustration afterwards.
Albon should go back and watch the replay of lap one, and maybe he will learn something. Lewis made an almost carbon copy move on him in the exact same corner. The difference being that Lewis had the experience to realize that Albon was only ever going to run into the side of him, because of albon's cars momentum. hence why Lewis backed out of it when they reached the apex.
100% truth.
Thats not 100% truth, its very inaccurate. Allow me to educate.
- Albon is level halfway turn in and apex, thats not almost at the apex.
- Albon is fully inside the white line because it is not a straight coming up, this corner keeps turning to the right, if he is any further to the left he will end up in the gravel. Cars hit the kerbs further down that corner.
- Lewis is indeed full lock, however he knows he is on old hard tyres vs pretty fresh softs and Albon is all over him. With his experience he shouldnt be in a situation where he is beaten but apparently unable to avoid an accident.
- Lap 1 is incomparable, both are on similar tyres, no advantage and more importantly Lewis is slightly ahead at the braking zone but never in the corner, so Albon can do whatever the f he wants and Lewis has to back out. Its all in the details why you cant compare every somewhat similar situation to each other.
Exactly. Perfectly worded.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 22:55
Oleo wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:

100% truth.
- Albon is fully inside the white line because it is not a straight coming up, this corner keeps turning to the right, if he is any further to the left he will end up in the gravel. Cars hit the kerbs further down that corner.
- Lewis is indeed full lock, however he knows he is on old hard tyres vs pretty fresh softs and Albon is all over him. With his experience he shouldnt be in a situation where he is beaten but apparently unable to avoid an accident.
- Lap 1 is incomparable, both are on similar tyres, no advantage and more importantly Lewis is slightly ahead at the braking zone but never in the corner, so Albon can do whatever the f he wants and Lewis has to back out. Its all in the details why you cant compare every somewhat similar situation to each other.
How dare you. Get prepared for a right bashing. Expect insinuation about your overall intelligence, lack of understanding of racing, ability to keep eyes opened whilst watching the race, ability to read the great posting already made on why you are so wrong In the first place and ignoring of facts (whilst in that same post no attempt will be made to reply on the actual facts you bring to table). And not by one Person but by the same tag team. Don’t say you haven’t been warned.

Pot calling the kettle black?
197 104 103 7

e30ernest
e30ernest

A driving coach reacts to the incident between Hamilton and Albon:

It's pretty borderline racing incident IMO. He does bring a good point that while Hamilton did not open up his steering, he did let the car drift outwards through acceleration.

PlatinumZealot

e30ernest wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 02:17

It's pretty borderline racing incident IMO. He does bring a good point that while Hamilton did not open up his steering, he did let the car drift outwards through acceleration.
He is no ordinary driving coach...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

e30ernest
e30ernest

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 02:46
e30ernest wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 02:17

He is no ordinary driving coach...
:mrgreen:

Yeah. That's why I think his analysis is worthwhile to check out. :D

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Sieper wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 22:55
Oleo wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:

100% truth.
How dare you. Get prepared for a right bashing. Expect insinuation about your overall intelligence, lack of understanding of racing, ability to keep eyes opened whilst watching the race, ability to read the great posting already made on why you are so wrong In the first place and ignoring of facts (whilst in that same post no attempt will be made to reply on the actual facts you bring to table). And not by one Person but by the same tag team. Don’t say you haven’t been warned.
Again... Hamilton couldn't have done anything. Albon had so much better traction he kick the throttle so much earlier than HAM, thinking he cleared Hamilton, he (albon) just hit the front of HAM. Hamilton was trying to turn in as sharp as he could. Frankly, I am amazed how steady he was able to keep the steering wheel.. it should be just a reflex to open up steering a little bit for these racers in such circumstances. Rock solid driving. It is 100% Albon's rookie enthusiasms to clear 6 time world champ that caused the racing incident :D He could have easily won the race alas had to face this silly, absolutely unfair 5 sec penalty. Well, HAM can recover in 5 days and Albon can keep his distant 4th this time ;)

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:37
Hammerfist wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:16
214270 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:11

Yes but at the beginning of the corner HAM had committed steering lock. It means that it’s his corner. ALB needs to go round the outside cleanly without taking to the racing line

Hamilton fan here but this one was on him. He did not want to let go of the position and it cost him. As soon as it happened I thought it was going to be a penalty. Albon had about 3/4 of his car ahead, so Hamilton could see him. He should have backed off. Plain and simple. I need to see the onboard again from Hamilton but if he was already on the power at the moment of impact then it is a slam dunk penalty. If he was not on the power and waiting for the car to turn then it becomes more unclear, but to me it is still his fault. These champions sometimes do not like losing their positions even though they already have been lost. Taht is why they are champions but sometimes it bites them in the arse.
What, in your mind, could HAM have done to avoid the contact? Neither getting off the power, nor applying the brakes would've changed his trajectory enough to avoid the contact. ALB was fully at fault for causing the collision, he did not leave enough racing room on the inside, he had more space to move left. Once again the stewards prove themselves to be incompetent.
I disagree that he couldn't have done anything else. Getting off the power definitely would have allowed him to take a more shallow line. You could hear from the onboard that he was accelerating, not waiting for the car to turn. At first sight, I never thought that Hamilton was not in control of his car and after seeing multiple onboards and pictures I still feel the same way. He had full control and he knew exactly what he was doing. It's great to see that Driver 61 youtube guy say basically the same thing I said.

Also Lewis wasn't being Lewis there. Usually he would not fight this position, but to me it's clear he still wanted the race win, and he was not about to let Albon ruin it for him. I'm sure that as he reflects on it, he will think that he probably should not have fought that position. If he doesn't Albon probably overtakes bottas as well and the point deficit to Bottas is only 3.

langedweil

Lewis is only Lewis when he's way ahead into the distance, preferably 30 wdc points ahead, in car that is .5 of a second faster than any other car on the track.
The more things tighten up, the more the frustration levels rise, the more prone to error he becomes. Impossible to check, but would he have taken P2 in Lec's car ? I doubt it ...
HuggaWugga !

e30ernest
e30ernest

langedweil wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 06:10
Lewis is only Lewis when he's way ahead into the distance, preferably 30 wdc points ahead, in car that is .5 of a second faster than any other car on the track.
The more things tighten up, the more the frustration levels rise, the more prone to error he becomes. Impossible to check, but would he have taken P2 in Lec's car ? I doubt it ...
Really? Apart from that one season where he was off his game due to personal issues, I've always thought of Lewis as among the best drivers out there when it comes to dealing with pressure. The past few years also saw him start the year on the back-foot, only to make things back up and eventually win.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

e30ernest wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 06:40
langedweil wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 06:10
Really? Apart from that one season where he was off his game due to personal issues, I've always thought of Lewis as among the best drivers out there when it comes to dealing with pressure. The past few years also saw him start the year on the back-foot, only to make things back up and eventually win.
It is pure luck.. Not his talent. He was sitting duck behind Racing point for most of the lap... The Racing Point made a mistake don't to pit under safety car else Perez would be in Podium instead of Lecrec and Norris.

sosic2121
sosic2121

Hammerfist wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 04:12
I disagree that he couldn't have done anything else. Getting off the power definitely would have allowed him to take a more shallow line. You could hear from the onboard that he was accelerating, not waiting for the car to turn. At first sight, I never thought that Hamilton was not in control of his car and after seeing multiple onboards and pictures I still feel the same way. He had full control and he knew exactly what he was doing. It's great to see that Driver 61 youtube guy say basically the same thing I said.

Also Lewis wasn't being Lewis there. Usually he would not fight this position, but to me it's clear he still wanted the race win, and he was not about to let Albon ruin it for him. I'm sure that as he reflects on it, he will think that he probably should not have fought that position. If he doesn't Albon probably overtakes bottas as well and the point deficit to Bottas is only 3.
Nice to see driver fan that is objective.