[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wynters

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

"Driver screwed by strategy is annoyed - spectators horrified!" - Shock news at 1100!

I certainly can't think of any other driver who has been swearing / complaining over the radio about the position they found themselves in. Especially not in the same race.
:roll:

The only interesting thing about it for me is the "Please drink as much fluid as you can. Remember, we'll be measuring it afterwards." Begs a few questions.

As to 'used up his tyres fighting RIC', perhaps, but worth pointing out that RIC broke out of DRS pretty quickly and it wasn't OCO pushing to get back into it that brought them together, but RIC slowing down for three laps. The second RIC put his foot down again (lap 38), Ocon let him go. Meanwhile, he had Kvyat in DRS from the restart all the way up until lap 43.

OCO also set his fastest lap on lap 52, on 24 lap-old, used Softs. If he'd had a little more tyre life than he comfortably holds off HAM.

He couldn't go any slower without losing out to Kvyat and he clearly stretched the tyres far enough to set his fastest lap on the penultimate lap. No wonder he was frustrated.Still, that was only his 8th race in two seasons. He'll learn.

Big Tea

Wynters wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 11:37
"Driver screwed by strategy is annoyed - spectators horrified!" - Shock news at 1100!

I certainly can't think of any other driver who has been swearing / complaining over the radio about the position they found themselves in. Especially not in the same race.

The only interesting thing about it for me is the "Please drink as much fluid as you can. Remember, we'll be measuring it afterwards." Begs a few questions.

Is that a euphemism for taking the Pee. Make sure you have plenty liquid as we have been...

It is obviously weight. They were weighed after a long lay off so are probably a couple of K to the good. dont want to be under weight now they have worked it off.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wynters

Big Tea wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 14:37
Wynters wrote:
10 Sep 2020, 11:37

Is that a euphemism for taking the Pee. Make sure you have plenty liquid as we have been...

It is obviously weight. They were weighed after a long lay off so are probably a couple of K to the good. dont want to be under weight now they have worked it off.
I initially thought that, but then I would've have thought the engineer would have referenced the weigh in post-race. Instead he references measuring the amount of drink consumed. My next thought was that they'd introduced this as a measure to make sure the drivers stayed sufficiently hydrated (a "We'll know if you don't drink enough!" sort of thing) ...but then why tell the driver to drink as much as possible at the end of the race?

Maybe prepping for a urine sample is a good shout?

Mclarensenna

According to Ric he's 1st run in Q3 they tried something different with the front wing which did not work and the second run would have been much faster according to Ric on track for P5 before the yellow flag. Maybe the other teams would also have improved i guess we will never know. It does seem though Renault has made some progress as everybody expected them to struggle more on this type of circuit.
Ocon again disappointing in Qualy. This time trying too hard.
Maybe Renault can have strong showing in the race. as supposedly the commentators were saying there were quite a few overtakes in F3 which surprised everybody. Very different cars but who knows. Time will tell

diffuser

Jambier wrote:
08 Sep 2020, 10:04
HUL was way better than OCO

But they get rid of him because he was "negative".
Actually, I think he spoke the truth to Abiteboul that does not like that.

This week in Monza, Renault'boss Luca Di Meo was here, so I think Abiteboul did not want bad comments

But yeah, OCO not impressive, bad mood, every french was happy for GAS... except him.
I don"t see a bright future for him honestly.

I think Renault would be better off with GAS or RUS or anyone else like that
I like GAS but he was under contract this year. Not sure what's going on with him next.

The reason they chose OCO over Hulk is he's French and the possible upside. I was expecting more from Ocon.

Scorpaguy

I think Gas, Hulk, and Ocon have now had ample time to shine...turns out they are just average (in an elite group of world class drivers albeit). Ric is a step (maybe a big step) above all three. In fact, the only driver on the grid that has yet to be truly measured is Rus. Next year, Fred, if he still has it, will devour Ocon.

Mclarensenna

Merc and Redbull were on another level though today. Ric even got that Renault into P2 but there was no way he could hold on especially with that long straight. I think if Renault still had the Qualy modes maybe Ric could have held on? Or would the Honda and Mercedes qualy modes have easily compensated for that? I guess we will never know. Great performance from Ric and a shame that Renault podium keeps eluding him.

selvam_e2002

my Question to RB?

first safety car restart: no speed in RB
first standing grid restart: no speed in RB
second standing grid restart: how com they got sudden speed. I don't agree with low fuel and soft tire. it is applicable for everyone. See, RP also has same speed after restart.

I think they fixed something which was not working at the race start or did some changes in engine mapping which FIA could not find after the race.

I really hate engine mode.

factory_p

selvam_e2002 wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 06:05
my Question to RB?

second standing grid restart: how com they got sudden speed. I don't agree with low fuel and soft tire. it is applicable for everyone. See, RP also has same speed after restart.

I think they fixed something which was not working at the race start or did some changes in engine mapping which FIA could not find after the race.

Honestly they were mostly flying in sector 2 & 3 which are chassis driven sectors. And 5 laps after the restart Ric was pretty mich matching Albon's pace.

My take on this is the Red Bull was better at warming up its soft tyres at the restart.

PowerandtheGlory

Scorpaguy wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 03:39
I think Gas, Hulk, and Ocon have now had ample time to shine...turns out they are just average (in an elite group of world class drivers albeit). Ric is a step (maybe a big step) above all three. In fact, the only driver on the grid that has yet to be truly measured is Rus. Next year, Fred, if he still has it, will devour Ocon.
I have to agree, i expected Ocon to be a bit more special considered all the Merc hype and the care Toto has taken of him, he's quick but far too prone to mistakes.. frying his own brakes.. :(
I admire the racecraft from Russel to be spotting that on a competitor and calling it on the radio to his own team.
I dont think Renault will replace Ocon with anyone...
pairing Alonso with a young Englishman (didnt work great before)
perez would be a steady pair of hands, but i fear that in the race he is 'too steady' sometimes. Nice guy though..
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

diffuser

Mclarensenna wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 05:01
Merc and Redbull were on another level though today. Ric even got that Renault into P2 but there was no way he could hold on especially with that long straight. I think if Renault still had the Qualy modes maybe Ric could have held on? Or would the Honda and Mercedes qualy modes have easily compensated for that? I guess we will never know. Great performance from Ric and a shame that Renault podium keeps eluding him.

People don't understand the effect of DRAG on a car. Speed is a variable in calculating the resistance and it increases exponetially. There was about 30KPH difference in Albon's top speed with and without DRS.
The DRS effect at Mugello is huge. It isn't a track where you're running medium to low DF. You're running Med - high DF, lots of rear wing and the straight is fairly long. Not sure he could have stayed ahead of RBR, even if you could add an extra 25% more power. Think you're lucky to get 5% from those special modes. The amount of xtra power needed to take the Reault from 300 to 320KPH with the same setup they had Sunday, without DRS and with a head wind is just enormous.

The RBR was faster in all 3 sectors in Quali.

diffuser

selvam_e2002 wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 06:05
my Question to RB?

Why would think that ? Look at Hamilton and Botas. They each had varring degrees of restarts. Why all of a sudden does it have to be that Honda did soemthing nefarious ???????

Maybe they fixed something, which they are allowed. Anyways the real difference is he got moved up a few spots.

diffuser

Scorpaguy wrote:
14 Sep 2020, 03:39
Well there is that Ocon coming back after being off a year. From memory, Hulk looked much more competative against Ric than Ocon does.

the EDGE

Forgive me if this question has already been asked/answered, but regarding Ricciardo and Abiteboul's bet

Does anyone if it was actually a bet, or was it a pact? Because the former would suggest Cyril actually bet against his own team scoring a podium this year. That would be a rather strange position to take

diffuser

the EDGE wrote:
15 Sep 2020, 20:05
Forgive me if this question has already been asked/answered, but regarding Ricciardo and Abiteboul's bet

Does anyone if it was actually a bet, or was it a pact? Because the former would suggest Cyril actually bet against his own team scoring a podium this year. That would be a rather strange position to take
Isn't like that...more like a incentive..." If you get a podium I'll put on the tattoo of your choice".