Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
etusch

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Craigy wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 15:13
Mudflap wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 13:54
On my linkedin feed I see Honda MK engineers already looking for work..
Honda racing UK is still looking for an ERS engineer according to the job page. I wonder if they had any notice the plug was going to be pulled.
Until last day they are still in F1 and had obligations. If it were not Honda I would expect a decision change with possible wdc of 2021 but I don't think they will change decision.
Maybe they wanted to look 2021 result before deciding but 2021 decided by fia already.

godlameroso

etusch wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 16:01
Craigy wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 15:13
Mudflap wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 13:54
On my linkedin feed I see Honda MK engineers already looking for work..
Honda racing UK is still looking for an ERS engineer according to the job page. I wonder if they had any notice the plug was going to be pulled.
Until last day they are still in F1 and had obligations. If it were not Honda I would expect a decision change with possible wdc of 2021 but I don't think they will change decision.
Maybe they wanted to look 2021 result before deciding but 2021 decided by fia already.
I really hope Honda's 2021 engine is more than competitive, just to go out on a high. If it is a very competitive power unit, don't show your power level until the season starts. Stick it to Mercedes and the FIA.
Saishū kōnā

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

What would be pretty sick, if Honda sells the IP to another company. Who would than become the strongest player in the next decennium of F1.

Big Tea

NL_Fer wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 19:50
What would be pretty sick, if Honda sells the IP to another company. Who would than become the strongest player in the next decennium of F1.
Ross Brawn has offered a pound
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

tangodjango
tangodjango

https://the-race.com/formula-1/honda-op ... post-2021/

"Honda’s Formula 1 project leader is willing to discuss Red Bull keeping its engines after its 2021 F1 exit so the team can develop them itself or with a new partner.

Honda will leave F1 at the end of 2021 to redirect its research and development resources towards major automotive targets it has set, but wants to support the succession plan Red Bull must come up with for an alternative engine supply for its two teams."
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Andy Cowell ?

Big Tea

NL_Fer wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 20:38
Andy Cowell ?
Better if they cam convince the existing Honda team to stay
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

There's not much that can be done on the ICE side save for bumping CR with more sophisticated injectors and timing control/sensors. Also the fact that the power unit can't really be developed in season means Honda could leave RB a fully developed 2022 power unit and spare parts and the team could run that themselves for the year without fear of being out developed. That would give RB a year to sort out their situation.

By then Verstappen's contract would be up.
Saishū kōnā

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

godlameroso wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 21:08
There's not much that can be done on the ICE side save for bumping CR with more sophisticated injectors and timing control/sensors. Also the fact that the power unit can't really be developed in season means Honda could leave RB a fully developed 2022 power unit and spare parts and the team could run that themselves for the year without fear of being out developed. That would give RB a year to convince the Fia to freeze the 2022 design and run it for 2023-2025

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

godlameroso wrote:
There's not much that can be done on the ICE side save for bumping CR with more sophisticated injectors and timing control/sensors.
And making it run leaner and reducing friction and improving compressor and turbine efficiency and reducing heat rejection etc.. and voila it's a brand new engine. There's a thousand little changes that add up to those 10 hp over a winter.

No car sub-system is ever fully developed and fully optimized, that's what F1 is all about.

godlameroso

Mudflap wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 21:55
godlameroso wrote:
There's not much that can be done on the ICE side save for bumping CR with more sophisticated injectors and timing control/sensors.
And making it run leaner and reducing friction and improving compressor and turbine efficiency and reducing heat rejection etc.. and voila it's a brand new engine. There's a thousand little changes that add up to those 10 hp over a winter.

No car sub-system is ever fully developed and fully optimized, that's what F1 is all about.
Under the current regulations how much more can they squeeze out of the current engines if they were to freeze fuel specification? The commercial implications of having a standard fuel supplier and its effect on the competitive order could be a political fire cracker in a porcelain cabinet.
Saishū kōnā

anthonyfa18
anthonyfa18

tangodjango wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 20:12

"Honda’s Formula 1 project leader is willing to discuss Red Bull keeping its engines after its 2021 F1 exit so the team can develop them itself or with a new partner.

Honda will leave F1 at the end of 2021 to redirect its research and development resources towards major automotive targets it has set, but wants to support the succession plan Red Bull must come up with for an alternative engine supply for its two teams."
I see a redbull mugen honda coming to play, redbull will invest with mtec aka mugen and will stay in f1 till the fia come up with rules so honda will come back in 2026

GhostF1
GhostF1

anthonyfa18 wrote:
06 Oct 2020, 03:25
tangodjango wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 20:12

I see a redbull mugen honda coming to play, redbull will invest with mtec aka mugen and will stay in f1 till the fia come up with rules so honda will come back in 2026
Frankly, if they ever do come back (which I honestly don't see them ever doing now) and as only a power unit manufacturer, any interested party would want a guarantee they aren't leaving for x amount of years etc. The only way back I could see them MAYBE coming back, would be as a full works outfit, but even then.. I can't really see it.

Yes, this time Honda's reasoning to leave aligns with every other manufacturer who was interested but avoided joining, even Renault said if they were just a PU supplier they'd of left, but their reputation has taken a bit of a hit now, there's a pattern of behaviour here. Regardless of how viable the reasons are, there will always be that stigma sadly.

Marti_EF3

I would love to see a mugen partnership like the 90's with Ligier and Jordan. That would be enough to be interesting...

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Scott Mitchel is letting his imagination run away with him re Honda engine/red bull.