[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

I’ve been critical of Mclaren of late but today’s race and the race in Turkey have been impressive
If the points situation are like this- this time next week we are in good shape. I expect Perez to be very strong (a podium) in Abu Dhabi
Just a fan's point of view

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Yep really strong on track performance. Still the pit stops are suspect at the best of times.

Glad Romain is okay and relieved we got away with a result which looked very unlikely.

Xero

Great result for the team, and some welcomed luck falling our way. A solid result next week could give us enough cushion over RP heading into the last race. Let's hope Monza form translates.

Main thing from that race is no doubt Grojean stepping out of that with minor injuries. That was possibly the scariest thing iv witnessed in 24 years watching F1.

_cerber1

Great job of our guys and team!

bauc

Great job today by both the team and the drivers, for me Carlos was the driver of the day if we exclude Roman who was phenomenal in his composure and the ability to get out of the car so quickly after the worst accident I've seen since I follow F1 and that is from 1997 season.

If we keep our cool and keep pushing we have a good chance now to finish 3rd. Yes we got a bit lucky today with PER engine failure but as someone previously said this is motorsport and good and bad luck eventually even up.

Keep pushing team, I believe in you!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 19:24
mwillems wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 19:13
Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 19:11
Well. I never expected that. I guess The Wide Amount of Luck RP had run out at some point. However so close on a Podium as things went out.
Luck?? They did it with one dodgy driver who had tons of bad luck and a covid diagnosis for their drivers.

If they had a different driver and not Stroll, 3rd was over races ago...!
Stroll hasn't done anything wrong in Bahrain. The quali issue was that they sent him out on Used Mediums and in the race they gave a penalty to Kyv for the accident.
I was talking about the season, not the race, and the fact that if there were 2 Perez then 3rd would have been wrapped up for RP a long time back.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Great effort from the whole team! To capitalize on every situation and make all correct calls. We really needed those points. Now to the next race!

Darth-Piekus

mwillems wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 21:54
diffuser wrote:
mwillems wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 19:13

Luck?? They did it with one dodgy driver who had tons of bad luck and a covid diagnosis for their drivers.

If they had a different driver and not Stroll, 3rd was over races ago...!
Stroll hasn't done anything wrong in Bahrain. The quali issue was that they sent him out on Used Mediums and in the race they gave a penalty to Kyv for the accident.
I was talking about the season, not the race, and the fact that if there were 2 Perez then 3rd would have been wrapped up for RP a long time back.
Yes but consider that it goes both ways. If we had two Sainz for example. Personally I would love if Perez would try a second time to Mclaren.

Big Tea

Slightly concerned with the performance comparison Renault engine car V Mercedes engine cars. Are they making a move at the wrong tine?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 22:49
mwillems wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 21:54
diffuser wrote:

Yes but consider that it goes both ways. If we had two Sainz for example. Personally I would love if Perez would try a second time to Mclaren.
Norris has 86 points to Sainz 85, I don't think it is the same situation.
Stroll has had some bad luck. But where he has been able to make his own result, it has more often been poorer than better. His current run of form is crucial in this fight for third place, so in my view he has cost RP that position. Makes me feel for Perez even more, I've always thought he was a fantastic driver. I wished he'd have come back to Mclaren at some point.

Edit: I just looked and Perez has nearly double Strolls points. And that is including the extra races he was off with Covid-19 and the fact that for 2 races Stroll had a superior car. Stroll has no excuse, he started the season well and became as lame as ever. Thankfully.

Emag
Emag

Racing Point has been screwed over really hard this season no doubt about that, but it's not like McLaren has been touched by the hand of god either. The team has also lost a lot of points over the course of the year.

You have to feel bad for RP today though, because their race was destroyed by situations that were out of their control. However, that doesn't mean that you should undervalue what you got in return from their misfortune. It could have very well been McLaren the one who suffered today and I have no doubt that if that were the case the other two (three) teams would have definitely "celebrated" over it.

At the end of the day, the final position in the standings is what matters. The prize is given for your finishing result, not for the way you got there.

Chicane
Chicane

Brilliant Sunday and a job done very well by both drivers. Today's pace clearly demonstrated what i had said yesterday, the car's pace was not maximized yesterday. Hopefully today's result will give Lando confidence to raise his game in qualifying.
Quickshifter

Macklaren
Macklaren

Don't forget the race in Germany where Lando was in a legitimate P3 before he had a DNF. Or Silverstone, where Carlos' tire blew on the last lap. There has been enough bad luck to go around for all drivers and today was just Perez's turn.

mwillems

We've had bad luck alright, and so have they, plenty. That's my point, on that front I consider it even. The difference is that RP have 1 "poor" driver (Well, blindingly rich, but not as talented as others on the grid). Our solid driver lineup is the reason we are ahead of RP. Because if you put luck aside, they have the faster car, and we have the faster/more reliable driver pairing.

Jackles-UK

The major reason that McLaren are in the position they are is because both the drivers are contributing big points for the team. Ricciardo & Perez are both a significant way ahead of Sainz & Norris in the drivers standings but their teammates are, for whatever reason, simply pulling their weight. Credit due to the team management for piecing together such a good partnership.

Fantastic day for the team but they can’t relax just yet, nearing the end of the season with the PU elements reaching their expiry date so what happened to Perez could easily happen to McLaren, particularly with two very power hungry tracks to come. Still, you get the feeling that if they match the RP’s next week they won’t be able to overturn a 17 point deficit in Abu Dhabi.