[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Marti_EF3 wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 20:26
Well, Merc PU now exploding, and the Honda PU seems it's going well... Good result after all, but the best result today is that Grosjean is well today
I think if there is only merc pu at the grid and if merc pu starts to fail back to back Ham's pu would wait until finish line.
Bottas had puncture again but ham had nothing again.

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

Ziggo:
“Good thing that Alex takes the podium and score some good points”
Max:
“Well yeah, that’s your conclusion but if you trail your teammate with 30-40 seconds you can hardly say he did a good job. Still nice for Alex to score a podium though”
Welp no mr nice pr guy anymore it seems at least with ziggo

godlameroso

In Albon's defense, he stayed within 5 seconds of Perez just like Verstappen stayed within 5 seconds of Hamilton for much of the race. 5 seconds is the distance that your aero starts being affected by the car in front. Why couldn't Albon or Verstappen close in on the car ahead? Answer: they lost downforce when they got close and don't currently have an engine that can make up for the aero that's lost following(Next year, oh if only Honda were allowed to do an in season update this picture would be drastically different). I'm sure they'd be able to pull away from, or keep at bay if the roles were reversed however.
Saishū kōnā

nzjrs

Yeah, on pace terms Albon had an OK race. He chewed through his tires a bit faster than those around him but today was nevertheless an improvement I'd say.

Sieper

godlameroso wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 00:42
In Albon's defense, he stayed within 5 seconds of Perez just like Verstappen stayed within 5 seconds of Hamilton for much of the race. 5 seconds is the distance that your aero starts being affected by the car in front. Why couldn't Albon or Verstappen close in on the car ahead? Answer: they lost downforce when they got close and don't currently have an engine that can make up for the aero that's lost following(Next year, oh if only Honda were allowed to do an in season update this picture would be drastically different). I'm sure they'd be able to pull away from, or keep at bay if the roles were reversed however.
Not 5. Maybe it is, but if it is within your powers you stay at 2. Also helps with an over or undercut. Max was faster then Perez whilst Albon could not keep up with him. Barely, but not.

godlameroso

Also Verstappen's questions about why they weren't more aggressive with the strategy is just frustration from not being able to catch Hamilton. That's the hunger for victory, that's knowing he's a few tenths down and he's not enough to make up for that gap, but it's close. It's almost like Bottas is not even a factor, and that is why Verstappen doesn't care if he's second or third.

These are growing pains, and nothing can be done until next year, and even then it may not be enough. Then again it might, would it be different if the team were just a little closer, or do they need to have something over Mercedes to challenge Hamilton?
Saishū kōnā

Sieper

Well, Verstappen actually has a very good grasp on strategy. He did say though that allthough it wasn’t what he thought the best plan, he also thought they lacked the speed anyway.

This is something they can and must use. Speak things through better (up front) but then still do radio messages like they did. This will keep Mercedes guessing.

GhostF1
GhostF1

godlameroso wrote:
28 Nov 2020, 03:22
So what's the result of his shunt? I'm guessing he's starting from the pitlane as I'm sure he's getting a new power unit and transmission to go with the spare chassis. That was an expensive mistake to say the least.
Interesting that he didn't need a new one after the shunt, looking at the state of the rear and the G force meter, I was sure he'd be taking a new one.
I'm now guessing, but based on what Honda has done in the past, they probably would of sent that entire unit off for full inspection at Sakura after a hit like that and used a different PU from their pool. Bodes well for reliability regardless, their physical components are looking robust.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

GhostF1 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
So what's the result of his shunt? I'm guessing he's starting from the pitlane as I'm sure he's getting a new power unit and transmission to go with the spare chassis. That was an expensive mistake to say the least.
Interesting that he didn't need a new one after the shunt, looking at the state of the rear and the G force meter, I was sure he'd be taking a new one.
I'm now guessing, but based on what Honda has done in the past, they probably would of sent that entire unit off for full inspection at Sakura after a hit like that and used a different PU from their pool. Bodes well for reliability regardless, their physical components are looking robust.
The crash was in FP2, therefore with an older engine and gearbox... The ones used in the race are not installed until after FP2 (for FP3, Qualy and the race)... The engine may have been lost but it wouldn’t matter in terms of penalties, they just have one less engine in the pool (the only problem would be if their current race engine is the last one available, which means that they will have to use it for Practice and therefore increase the mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

etusch

This race was very similar to Silverstone 1. Ham had puncture late enough to let him finish with that tyre. In this race sc came just too late. With fresher tyres Verstappen would have a chance. But it nor certain. Ham was damn faster when race restarted.
Last edited by etusch on 30 Nov 2020, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

The outer loop race this weekend will be interesting. Having sampled the track on the simulator, the downforce levels needed are roughly the same as for the main layout GP. Traction out of turn 4 is important because the road curves left and being flat is not so easy, especially if the rubber starts wearing and rear grip goes down. The chicane has a fair bit of elevation change, it is a tricky corner because you're braking and turning right, but the corner is a tight left, then an uphill right with a crest on the exit. Aside from the final corner that's it, it's all straights after that. It's a track that's equally fast with a low or high downforce setup. However for racing a high downforce setup will make you a sitting duck on the straights, considering how powerful the slipstream is.

I expect race pace in the mid to low 57's high 56's, pole will likely be 53 seconds. With so few corners, and them being low to mid speed, and it being race two, maybe RBR can do one better than last time.
Saishū kōnā

zibby43
zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 17:36
The outer loop race this weekend will be interesting. Having sampled the track on the simulator . . .
Just out of curiosity, what simulator?

GhostF1
GhostF1

SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 06:04
GhostF1 wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
So what's the result of his shunt? I'm guessing he's starting from the pitlane as I'm sure he's getting a new power unit and transmtHission to go with the spare chassis. That was an expensive mistake to say the least.
The crash was in FP2, therefore with an older engine and gearbox... The ones used in the race are not installed until after FP2 (for FP3, Qualy and the race)... The engine may have been lost but it wouldn’t matter in terms of penalties, they just have one less engine in the pool (the only problem would be if their current race engine is the last one available, which means that they will have to use it for Practice and therefore increase the mileage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Of course.. #-o
My bad, I totally overlooked the FP2 engine scenario... We'll have to watch Alex's engine life/performance with interest for the remaining two then if that engine actually did get scrapped.

godlameroso

zibby43 wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 02:35
godlameroso wrote:
The outer loop race this weekend will be interesting. Having sampled the track on the simulator . . .
The one in the man cave :lol:
Saishū kōnā

zibby43
zibby43

godlameroso wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 03:37
zibby43 wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 02:35
godlameroso wrote:
The one in the man cave :lol:
Very nice. I didn't know if you were referring to a personal setup or alluding to comments made by one of the RBR drivers.

Not to drift too far afield, but which sim has the Bahrain outer loop on it? That sounds like fun.