2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
mzso
mzso

Re: 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 11:08
Secondly, we went to a power track a few months ago, AFTER the engine mode clamp down and guess what, Mercedes were 9 tenths!! a second a lap ahead of RedBull on a lap that was 78 seconds. So here being a power track, and 53 seconds that would give us a gap of easily over half a second if Lewis was in the Merc and the gap to RedBull was the same percentage as Monza. So its not taking it too far beyond rationality. Its actually a very good educated guess.
Utter and complete nonsense. Short track with few features, little differences. The top 10 or so was within three tenths at one point. (End of Q2 if memory serves)

mzso
mzso

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 11:14
Another thing I'd like to add, 1991, Spa. Schumacher came in to F1 and qualified 7 tenths ahead of de Cesaris in his first race. 7 tenths ahead on a very technical track. Thats what happens when you put super talent up against a average to poor driver. So if Bottas was as bad as people claim, either Russell would have beat him easily, or Russell is poor like Bottas and Lewis is only just a little better. Schumacher showed that a new comer can easily be in the car and destroy a driver if the other driver is average at best. Russells record in single seaters shows he has unbelievable talent, so Bottas being ahead for now tells me both are very strong but George has the huge potential as he's only 22.
You act like that's an absolute proff of something when its meaningless. De Cesaris might have had a crap weekend. And it was decades ago with different cars in a different era.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

NathanOlder

mzso wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 13:18
NathanOlder wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 11:08
Secondly, we went to a power track a few months ago, AFTER the engine mode clamp down and guess what, Mercedes were 9 tenths!! a second a lap ahead of RedBull on a lap that was 78 seconds. So here being a power track, and 53 seconds that would give us a gap of easily over half a second if Lewis was in the Merc and the gap to RedBull was the same percentage as Monza. So its not taking it too far beyond rationality. Its actually a very good educated guess.
Utter and complete nonsense. Short track with few features, little differences. The top 10 or so was within three tenths at one point. (End of Q2 if memory serves)
So how were Mercedes ahead of Max by 1 whole second (well over 9 tenths) on a track with 6 braking points? When this track has 4 braking points? 3rd to 10th was under 5 tenths separated at Monza. 4th to 10th was almost 6 tenths yesterday. So it hasn't bunched them up as close as Monza. Only difference here is Max is right up with the Mercs. So its not nonsense is it. You seem to be the one spewing nonsense and then claiming others for doing so.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

The sensible race for Russel is to aim for 3rd and stay out of trouble. Bottas is infront of him and he is not a good starter, so don,t fight Max if he dives in, then cruise to the finish as there should be a nice gap he just fits into. Get points for the team and points and rep for himself.

However, he is a racing driver who has been given a chance. It would be very difficult for him to do this.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

mzso wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 13:20
NathanOlder wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 11:14
Another thing I'd like to add, 1991, Spa. Schumacher came in to F1 and qualified 7 tenths ahead of de Cesaris in his first race. 7 tenths ahead on a very technical track. Thats what happens when you put super talent up against a average to poor driver. So if Bottas was as bad as people claim, either Russell would have beat him easily, or Russell is poor like Bottas and Lewis is only just a little better. Schumacher showed that a new comer can easily be in the car and destroy a driver if the other driver is average at best. Russells record in single seaters shows he has unbelievable talent, so Bottas being ahead for now tells me both are very strong but George has the huge potential as he's only 22.
You act like that's an absolute proff of something when its meaningless. De Cesaris might have had a crap weekend. And it was decades ago with different cars in a different era.
I was pointing out a driver can come in and beat a driver who has been there all year. You clearly missed the point. de Cesaris was never great so that has probably something to do with it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

Big Tea wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 13:47
The sensible race for Russel is to aim for 3rd and stay out of trouble. Bottas is infront of him and he is not a good starter, so don,t fight Max if he dives in, then cruise to the finish as there should be a nice gap he just fits into. Get points for the team and points and rep for himself.

However, he is a racing driver who has been given a chance. It would be very difficult for him to do this.
I can't see George holding P2 on lap 1. dirty side, Medium tyres, he will be easy to pass. I also think Max is favourite today, Bottas will have tyre troubles at some point. Russell will be unknown on the tyre's but I cant see him being better than Bottas on tyres in his first ever race in the Merc. Today is the day Mercedes miss Lewis IMO.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 13:50
Big Tea wrote:

I can't see George holding P2 on lap 1. dirty side, Medium tyres, he will be easy to pass. I also think Max is favourite today, Bottas will have tyre troubles at some point. Russell will be unknown on the tyre's but I cant see him being better than Bottas on tyres in his first ever race in the Merc. Today is the day Mercedes miss Lewis IMO.
He wil also find it easier to build up a cushion if he is not trying to hold off Max in the early laps.
I see his best option of running his own race where possible and using the time in the car to his advantage.

Going by past performance of the Merc's he should be comfortably pull away and hold 3rd, and as there will be a lot of lapping today, a 'spare' tyre swap would be useful later on. The best way to do that is to let the front two go and get away from 4th.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

aral
aral

Once again, I would ask you to stop all the "my driver is better than yours" hoohaa. The thread is about the Sakhir GP which is on today. Which driver won what or where in the past is irrelevant. Just watch the race and then discuss it, leaving out any fanboyisms....PLEASE !

Bomber_Pilot

Very windy today... Lots of sand in the air

Mogster

mzso wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 14:52
Big Tea wrote:

True racedriver mentality. Don't engage, just cruise around, don't show anything notable. That should earn a promotion...
I think the team would be more impressed with a solid points finish and an undamaged car.

godlameroso

Bomber_Pilot wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 14:22
Very windy today... Lots of sand in the air
Last post on page 38, we know, and it's going to pick up for the race.
Saishū kōnā

NathanOlder

on topic,

its going to be an interesting race, the F2 field was just bunches of cars so I expect F1 to be 3 at the front, and 1 big field from 4th down to around 16th with a few damaged cars dropping off the back
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

PlatinumZealot

Tuning in. This is going to be a long race. I am expecting 2 safety cars. Leclerc will win.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

I’ve just had a thought. What the hell does Russell do tomorrow? Stay with Mercedes or go back to Williams bearing in mind that no-one really knows where he will be driving next weekend.