2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wouter

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

The Power of Dreams!

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Racer X wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 07:23
search wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 10:22
Racer X wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 20:46
It's my understanding that when you set YOUR engine it must stay in THAT mode during Qualifying and Race. Which is why it makes it interesting because you've got to set it up right. If you set it too high and burn out like Racing Point did in Bahrain you will look fast for a minute but then boom. Or you could miscalculate and be too slow.

But the engine modes are each teams to lock in during Qualifying and Race.
I don't know, also AMuS was pretty clear back then that also team mates had to use the same modes - but it never made any sense to be, and the full ruleset was not published accessible for the public. It may have been just a misunderstanding, which was then copied by different outlets.
Yeah we would need clarification.
But I don't think all the engines are set to the same mode by Manufacturer because then Williams would have a lot more speed just by having a Merc Engine. Or is their chasy and aero package so bad not even a Merc Engine can save them?
Although the rules says a manufacturer must supply PU’S to customers with identical hardware and software. A customer team may select/opt to use a different PU qualifying and race MAP other than that decided upon for use by the supplier manufacturer on their own cars. But I believe that a team must use the same PU qualifying and race MAP on both cars.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

tangodjango wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 08:35
godlameroso wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 06:19
214270 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 04:14

Yes. I think it’s connected to the PER failure a few weeks ago in Bahrain, so Merc are running detuned. Same for customer teams as far as I’m aware.
So detuned that they outdragged RB16 on both long straights, and the corners implying the Mercedes is carrying more drag and more downforce. I wish I could detune my engine to let me run MORE downforce and still be faster on the straights.
Just shows how strong that PU is. Also a bit of a masterstroke at getting Honda + RBR's hopes up.
Except max was faster down the straight in qualifying than the mercs were..

NathanOlder

ispano6 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 03:25
NathanOlder wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 18:55
yelistener wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:11
Mercedes went with a wrong setup or what? They've alway dominated in this track, now they lost the pole, and lost S2 particularly. WTH?
S2 both Mercs were quicker than Max, what were you watching?

infact all the purple sectors today went to Mercedes I believe. Their final runs I think Max was faster by 0.007, it was Sector 3 where Lewis lost pole. Lewis lost nearly 2 tenths to Valterri in S3.

Tomorrows race should be a good one. hopefully Lewis clears Bottas and then we can have a Max vs Lewis
Max went purple Sector 2.
In Q3, but the best sector 2 of the day belongs to Mercedes. I was just pointing out that Merc haven't lost "lost S2 particularly" as the person said who I was replying to.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

sosic2121
sosic2121

Mchamilton wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 11:05
tangodjango wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

So detuned that they outdragged RB16 on both long straights, and the corners implying the Mercedes is carrying more drag and more downforce. I wish I could detune my engine to let me run MORE downforce and still be faster on the straights.
Just shows how strong that PU is. Also a bit of a masterstroke at getting Honda + RBR's hopes up.
https://youtu.be/DfJbSl4B0YY
Difference is minimal, but it seems to me mercedes has slight advantage on long straights. Maybe they don't deploy as much on short straits due to MGU-K. Also Bottas gains on breaking.

tangodjango
tangodjango

Mchamilton wrote:
tangodjango wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

It's a combination of factors, probably Mercedes running more downforce and understeer for the race and Honda risking a higher engine mode for the race and also partly in preparation for next year.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

henry

sosic2121 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 11:30
Mchamilton wrote:
tangodjango wrote:

https://youtu.be/DfJbSl4B0YY
Difference is minimal, but it seems to me mercedes has slight advantage on long straights. Maybe they don't deploy as much on short straits due to MGU-K. Also Bottas gains on breaking.
Things may be different in the race. In qualifying they can all do more deploy and recover through the MGU-K than in the race. Perhaps Mercedes didn’t do that so they could run normally in the race. Mercedes seem to have remarkably consistent lifetimes across the components so one guesses they have a good understanding of just how hard they can push.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

godlameroso wrote:
214270 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 20:46

Merc have PU problems, MGU-K tuned down.
Yes. I think it’s connected to the PER failure a few weeks ago in Bahrain, so Merc are running detuned. Same for customer teams as far as I’m aware.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... abu-dhabi/
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

214270 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 12:33
godlameroso wrote:
214270 wrote:

It does explain a few things.
How RP suddenly find themselves 8th with Stroll, How Russell is suddenly is nowhere near Q2 and how Mercedes themselves seem to be outpaced by RedBull.

It does add a sense of honestly to Wolff’s comments.

Big Tea

Restomaniac wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 12:53
214270 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 12:33
godlameroso wrote:

How RP suddenly find themselves 8th with Stroll, How Russell is suddenly is nowhere near Q2 and how Mercedes themselves seem to be outpaced by RedBull.

Makes you wonder if it would be worth some taking a new engine hit and starting from the back.
Not only because they could run more power, but because everyone else has an old engine and just finishing is likely to be in the points. Williams in particular could do a full balls run with new engines with no real life loss as they are waaaay back anyhow
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mogster

Big Tea wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 12:58
Restomaniac wrote:

Makes you wonder if it would be worth some taking a new engine hit and starting from the back.
Not only because they could run more power, but because everyone else has an old engine and just finishing is likely to be in the points. Williams in particular could do a full balls run with new engines with no real life loss as they are waaaay back anyhow
Can you do that now though? Do all engines from the same supplier have to run in the same mode all weekend? Old or new?

The engine mode ban has just taken away rather than adding to the show imo.

El Scorchio

Mogster wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 13:36
Big Tea wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

Can you do that now though? Do all engines from the same supplier have to run in the same mode all weekend? Old or new?

Well it has in no way whatsoever stopped the Mercedes cars. Hasn’t helped Ferrari that much either so it didn’t really do the job.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Big Tea wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

Perez will be the interesting one. He has done just that pretty much (new ICE, TC & MGU-H).

If I’d have been RP I’d have gone all in and given him a new ES, CE and MGU-K too.

Big Tea

Mogster wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 13:36
Big Tea wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

I think as well as having the mode available, the length of time it can be used is critical.
For instance, if an engine has 100 min of use at, lets call it mode X, and the engine has already used 80 in the previous 4 races, there is set up for Quali during prac 2, Quli 2, Q3 may only leave 10 or 15 for the race.

A new engine would allow full race distance at Mode X
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

tangodjango wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 12:14
Mchamilton wrote:
tangodjango wrote:

It's a combination of factors, probably Mercedes running more downforce and understeer for the race and Honda risking a higher engine mode for the race and also partly in preparation for next year.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15416 ... down-power