2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

What a boring-ass race!
Even Max forgot to do his donuts!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

smellybeard
smellybeard

Got some extra zzz in during that one.

Sevach
Sevach

Shoe on the other foot day...
Mercedes must've been running low on power, engine near it's limits, can't really see other reason for them being so slow.
Extremely boring race, different dominator same procession.
Hamilton should've stayed home, George would've been more interesting.
I really dislike how SC happy Masi is.
Good season and result for Mclaren.
Last edited by Sevach on 13 Dec 2020, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

Phil wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 16:53
I really blame Mercedes for this boring race for not showing a little teeth and the willingness to be courageous in trying an alternative strategy when they followed Verstappen into the pits. Seemed like they were just happy to “protect Bottas 2nd in the WDC with as little risk as possible”.

Not a happy Mercedes fan today. I feel robbed.

/end rant
I get it. They owe it to Bottas to not jeopardise his second place but it didn’t make for a good race. They could have tried something different with Hamilton by two stopping him. I think he was clearly not at his best today after his illness though

cplchanb
cplchanb

TYPICAL SNOOZEFEST RACE. this track needs a serious makeover or deletion fromt the calender.... but i guarantee the latter will not be considered. no action whatsover except for a handful of passes that really didnt matter. the SC killed the race, as somehow the marshalls were unable to clear the RP car. strategies are just too linear these days with the expected 1 stop. either they need to mandate 3 compoound use, allow refueling or use 1/2 step softer tyres on this track.

Mattyw
Mattyw

El Scorchio wrote:
Lovely to see McLaren third in the constructors. Let’s hope they can get closer to the top next season
Agreed!

smellybeard
smellybeard

The post race enquiry into Sainz's pit lane behaviour could be interesting. They're discussing a professional foul. Fat lady might sing a mighty loud song...

nzjrs

cplchanb wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 16:58
TYPICAL SNOOZEFEST RACE. this track needs a serious makeover or deletion fromt the calender.... but i guarantee the latter will not be considered. no action whatsover except for a handful of passes that really didnt matter. the SC killed the race, as somehow the marshalls were unable to clear the RP car. strategies are just too linear these days with the expected 1 stop. either they need to mandate 3 compoound use, allow refueling or use 1/2 step softer tyres on this track.
I wonder if any of the other possible layouts are homologated?

epo
epo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 15:01
214270 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 12:33
godlameroso wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 06:19

So detuned that they outdragged RB16 on both long straights, and the corners implying the Mercedes is carrying more drag and more downforce. I wish I could detune my engine to let me run MORE downforce and still be faster on the straights.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... abu-dhabi/
So Honda is likely more powerful than Mercedes in today's race. At least in MGUK deployment. If a Mercedes wins I want no more excuses about power advantage OK, bull boys?
So childish, really. This just proves Mercedes dominance was for the biggest part due to their better engine package.

smellybeard
smellybeard

Sevach wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 16:57
I really dislike how SC happy Masi is.
I really dislike how uninformed you are.
Crane on track to recover a car with locked-up transmission is an automatic SC.

Phil

Hamilton surely isnt talking like a guy who wont be driving next year...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

cplchanb
cplchanb

El Scorchio wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 16:57
Phil wrote:
I really blame Mercedes for this boring race for not showing a little teeth and the willingness to be courageous in trying an alternative strategy when they followed Verstappen into the pits. Seemed like they were just happy to “protect Bottas 2nd in the WDC with as little risk as possible”.

Not a happy Mercedes fan today. I feel robbed.

/end rant
I get it. They owe it to Bottas to not jeopardise his second place but it didn’t make for a good race. They could have tried something different with Hamilton by two stopping him. I think he was clearly not at his best today after his illness though
they had everything to lose if they pitted either a 2nd time as albon was right up there and we saw how hard it was to pass today. its the sterile track, sc trigger happy and linear tyre strat bs thats at fault.

Juzh

Goes to show when Max gets an equal car he's easily able to destroy anything bottas or hamilton can throw at him. Mercedes might even threw this race by using unfit for duty Hamilton instead of Russel :!:

Phil

cplchanb wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 17:03
they had everything to lose if they pitted either a 2nd time as albon was right up there and we saw how hard it was to pass today. its the sterile track, sc trigger happy and linear tyre strat bs thats at fault.
When they followed Max into the pits with both cars, they effectively gave up any chance of winning the race. They took the guaranteed 2 & 3.

If they had left Hamilton out, yes, they probably would have finished 4th with him, but there was always a potential for something else happening. The point being, if you dont risk anything, there’s no gain to be made.

And we would have had a better race for it.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

MtthsMlw