2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Ground Effect wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 13:56
Phil wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 13:30
Wow. I’m disapointed, but saw this as a possibility. I was hoping for at least two years comittment from both sides.
I believe F1 insider reported it yesterday as a 1+1, option for a second year. At this stage in his career, Lewis is probably looking at flexibility, not long term, at least that’s what I think.
How about wait until after the summer break, then see how good the 2022 car looks in the wind tunnel ect. Then decide whether its worth staying or not. retire or go elsewhere
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

the EDGE
the EDGE

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 14:07
How about wait until after the summer break, then see how good the 2022 car looks in the wind tunnel ect. Then decide whether its worth staying or not. retire or go elsewhere
How good, compared to what?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 13:56
Phil wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 13:30
Wow. I’m disapointed, but saw this as a possibility. I was hoping for at least two years comittment from both sides.
I believe F1 insider reported it yesterday as a 1+1, option for a second year. At this stage in his career, Lewis is probably looking at flexibility, not long term, at least that’s what I think.
More likely see whether he's on course to win an 8th title. If he does, I think he'll then retire having set a new record. At the moment it's a case of "tied with Michael as the most successful". I think he wants "the most successful". 8 titles with 100+ poles and 100+ wins would be some legacy and would take some beating - not impossible to beat, of course, but it will take some doing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

the EDGE wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 14:29
NathanOlder wrote:
That's the question, isn't it? Mercedes will have set themselves some figures that they want to achieve and will, no doubt, achieve them. But until they run on track no one will know who has done the best job. Mercedes could turn up with their 2022 car with some great figures on paper, only for Red Bull etc., to turn up with 10% better figures and thrash them silly.

El Scorchio

And there you have it. Looks like much of the wrangling was probably around the joint foundation which is being set up. Would be very surprised if he doesn't race in 2022 if the data for the car is looking good. Can see him calling it a day after that, though, and just becoming an ambassador for Mercedes. Makes sense for them to have their name attached to a lot of the things he'll probably be trying to accomplish after racing. Top publicity.

I can't imagine he'll be at all that many races after he's retired though, unless Sky offer him an eye watering deal to be part of their coverage. He doesn't seem the type who would wish to hang around the paddock.

NathanOlder

the EDGE wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 14:29
NathanOlder wrote:
I guess compared in the same way that Mercedes had a very good idea that they were going to do well in the Hybrid era.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

According to Craig Slater, he said he spoke to a senior figure at Mercedes and both sides (Lewis and Mercedes) wanted the flexibility of a 1yr deal. There was also no such thing as a Verstappen clause.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... y-one-year
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

dans79

I could kind of see this coming.

Merc is taking a beating because of Covid, so they don't want to agree to a contract with a lot of guaranteed salary in it, as they don't know how long it will take to recover from covid. They probably also have doubts, about how well everything will shake out with the rule changes for 2021 and budget cap restrictions. If they fall down the grid they aren't going to want a huge driver payroll that doesn't really benefit them.

Lewis, most likely wants to get paid, but he also has to consider the financial constraints that Mercedes are currently in. Given the Level of acclaim he has reached, and the point of his career he's a,t he probably doesn't want to be in f1 unless he is fairly certain he's in a car capable if winning.
197 104 103 7

El Scorchio

dans79 wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 17:36
I could kind of see this coming.

Merc is taking a beating because of Covid, so they don't want to agree to a contract with a lot of guaranteed salary in it, as they don't know how long it will take to recover from covid. They probably also have doubts, about how well everything will shake out with the rule changes for 2021 and budget cap restrictions. If they fall down the grid they aren't going to want a huge driver payroll that doesn't really benefit them.

Lewis, most likely wants to get paid, but he also has to consider the financial constraints that Mercedes are currently in. Given the Level of acclaim he has reached, and the point of his career he's a,t he probably doesn't want to be in f1 unless he is fairly certain he's in a car capable if winning.
Both sides probably want an out if the 2022 car turns out to be a dog as well. Unlikely but not impossible!

PlatinumZealot

Reading between the lines, Ineos will be buying a bigger stake for 2022, lewis will buy a stake and Mercedes will be engine supplier.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 18:41
Reading between the lines, Ineos will be buying a bigger stake for 2022, lewis will buy a stake and Mercedes will be engine supplier.

That seems like a stretch, Lewis have never given an inkling that he was interested in being a shareholder/owner. That's only ever been mentioned in gossip and media clickbait.
197 104 103 7

the EDGE
the EDGE

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Wow, there must be big line spacing in the version you read :lol:

I see no reason to doubt the simple explanation provided by Toto. I have come to respect his openness & candidness

I’m sure both parties have 1 eye on the future, costs/demands, driver availability, performance, desire to remain, legacy, etc. are always going to be thing people of when thinking about future contract. This is normal to every team & every driver of Lewis’ age/experience & ability

dans79

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/08/wol ... se-rumour/
Wolff said they “jointly agreed on a one-year deal” after delays to their discussions led them to postpone agreement on 2022 and beyond.

“First of all there is a substantial regulations change in 2022,” Wolff explained. “We also want to see how the world develops and the company.”
“There are uncertainties in the world that affect the way the sport can operate that have an influence on our revenue, on TV monies, on sponsorship income,” he said. “Daimler and Mercedes are in a huge transformation towards electric mobility and that means investments. So we are living in a financial reality that is very different to what it was a few years ago.

“But having said that we are totally in line, Lewis and me and the wider group in Mercedes, about this situation. So there was never any discrepancy in opinion. It was just that we felt we’ve got to put signature on the 2021 contact because we need to get going and then find some time during 2021, earlier than this time around, to discuss the future.

“And it’s not only specifically to 2022 but also beyond and that is not something that we wanted to carve out via videoconferencing between Christmas and the end of January.”
“On the specific clauses that were out there in the media, I don’t know where that came from because none of that is true,” he said.

“I actually read about this, I found it an interesting perspective, but the truth is there was not a second of discussion about any driver-specific clause. He has never asked for that in the last eight years and it’s a team decision.

“The other clause about a revenue split or revenue share… that rumour was baseless too, so none of that was ever part of our discussions.”
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
No way Lewis will buy a stake in the team. No one makes money from owning racing teams.

PlatinumZealot

dans79 wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 18:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:

That seems like a stretch, Lewis have never given an inkling that he was interested in being a shareholder/owner. That's only ever been mentioned in gossip and media clickbait.
Heis practicing his team ownership skills with his X44 team tho. So it is within the realms of possibility.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏