2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Lucky
Lucky

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 00:02
diffuser wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 23:39
Herr_Koos wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 13:23

Very cool breakdown. Norris just about matching Perez on race pace is very impressive. Having said that, Checo is quite a way off Max; wonder if that was mainly due to being stuck in traffic? I don't think Max is 0.6s/lap faster on pure pace.
Because he's removing outliers, it means more pit stops better lap time. That's Making Bottas, Perez and Gasley look better. Their lap times are benefiting from FRESH tires but the stop isn't factored it.
What is most surprising to me is that Sainz had a much faster third stint than Leclerc. Both Sainz and Leclerc were "fighting", Leclerc was trying to stay P5 while Sainz was catching Ricciardo but Sainz has almost 0.5s faster lap times in the last stint. Is there something I am missing?

Ricciardo's medium stint looks decent (comparable to Norris/Leclerc). Stint on hards is some way back from Lando.
Carlos pitted 5 laps later than Daniel and Leclerc, so that probably accounts for his much better pace on his last stint.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

_cerber1

djos

_cerber1 wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 09:20
It's this kind of drive in a wounded car that really shows Daniel is a special driver - just take a look at the beating he handed Vettel in his first year at Red Bull (2014)!

Vettel complained the Car & new Renault PU weren't to his liking (FWIW DR qualified the car on the front row f the first race in 2014) which has become a familiar theme since - IMO if the car doesn't have a Blown diffuser, he's just nowhere! His 4 titles have really lost their shine!
"In downforce we trust"

_cerber1

I think Daniel could be right behind Lando, we lost a lot of points because of Gasly.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 09:50
I think Daniel could be right behind Lando, we lost a lot of points because of Gasly.
From all indications, 4th & 5th were on the cards, but we don’t know what Gasly could have done without his mishap. These things happen, we’ll just look forward to Imola and hope the car is competitive there.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 09:06
FittingMechanics wrote:
diffuser wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 23:39

Because he's removing outliers, it means more pit stops better lap time. That's Making Bottas, Perez and Gasley look better. Their lap times are benefiting from FRESH tires but the stop isn't factored it.
What is most surprising to me is that Sainz had a much faster third stint than Leclerc. Both Sainz and Leclerc were "fighting", Leclerc was trying to stay P5 while Sainz was catching Ricciardo but Sainz has almost 0.5s faster lap times in the last stint. Is there something I am missing?

Ricciardo's medium stint looks decent (comparable to Norris/Leclerc). Stint on hards is some way back from Lando.
Carlos pitted 5 laps later than Daniel and Leclerc, so that probably accounts for his much better pace on his last stint.

Above is Daniel's radio from the race. At 3:22, Daniel probably meant that he couldn't fire up the rears due to the floor damage and his pace just stagnated after pitting on lap 18 or 19. He also mentioned the rear of the car being fragile at 4:16 and that the rears took a hit when trying to push at 4:45. At around 6:48, he says that the pace just drops off after a couple of laps.

We now know that the sizeable damage to the floor was probably the cause of his inability to keep the tires in their happy operating range. I think he would have finished P5 if it weren't for the damage. Nonetheless, great points for the team! Lando's pace was genuinely impressive. I'm glad that Seidl focused on race pace rather than qualifying during testing as Zak mentioned. This three week break until Imola is a good thing in my opinion because it'll give Daniel and his engineers a good amount of time to analyze the data and prepare setups for him.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 10:14
Ground Effect wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

Above is Daniel's radio from the race. At 3:22, Daniel probably meant that he couldn't fire up the rears due to the floor damage and his pace just stagnated after pitting on lap 18 or 19. He also mentioned the rear of the car being fragile at 4:16 and that the rears took a hit when trying to push at 4:45. At around 6:48, he says that the pace just drops off after a couple of laps.

We now know that the sizeable damage to the floor was probably the cause of his inability to keep the tires in their happy operating range. I think he would have finished P5 if it weren't for the damage. Nonetheless, great points for the team! Lando's pace was genuinely impressive. I'm glad that Seidl focused on race pace rather than qualifying during testing as Zak mentioned. This three week break until Imola is a good thing in my opinion because it'll give Daniel and his engineers a good amount of time to analyze the data and prepare setups for him.
This was great, gives real insight... “Pit crew in orange” :lol: you can’t be too careful and take things for granted.

ThePapayaJaguar
ThePapayaJaguar

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 10:36
ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

This was great, gives real insight... “Pit crew in orange” :lol: you can’t be too careful and take things for granted.
Absolutely, they definitely had flashbacks of Lewis pulling into our box when he joined Mercedes. :lol: :lol:

CjC
CjC

How much free laptime- 0.005 of a second :lol: :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

Macklaren
Macklaren

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:

Very insightful. Strange that both McLaren drivers had big radio issues -- Lando even more than Daniel. Wonder if other drivers did as well.
Daniel sounds so calm on the radio...impressive

Lucky
Lucky

Emag
Emag

It seems like Daniel lost a bit after T8. Up until then they were pretty equal.

M840TR
M840TR

Lucky wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 15:36
https://youtu.be/BPaYGmhVZN0
Gasly up by as much as 6km/h on some straights! Better in front limited low-speed corner entry. Mclaren with better exit but might just be different approach.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

djos wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
01 Apr 2021, 09:20
It's this kind of drive in a wounded car that really shows Daniel is a special driver - just take a look at the beating he handed Vettel in his first year at Red Bull (2014)!

Vettel complained the Car & new Renault PU weren't to his liking (FWIW DR qualified the car on the front row f the first race in 2014) which has become a familiar theme since - IMO if the car doesn't have a Blown diffuser, he's just nowhere! His 4 titles have really lost their shine!
Great drivers can sometimes bring great results even with a broken car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk