2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Edax
Edax

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Sieper wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 19:50
Race thread is becoming unbearable again. Apparently Max is lucky to win.

Fantastic start, first SC restart, and mega outlap on cold slicks versus warm inters inlap. Stayed carefull all race. Then the restart, you are at a disadvantage as the rest can slipstream so you have to get all heat into the tires that you can. Still made it.

I can still remember multiple members blaming Max for the outer track bahrein start, where he had imho close to zero chance. Here lewis put the nose into the wall totally unnecessary. Twice. And not a peep. This forum has acedic members. Honousty is far and few.

Luckily Max is always honoust and owns up when he screws up. I’m very impressed with this race under this pressure. Really showed he is up for it. And that will be very needed,that is clear now.
It is a shame that it didn’t get the attention it deserved, but that outlap on slicks was indeed mega. That may have well won him the race.

TNTHead

Sieper wrote:

Fantastic start, first SC restart, and mega outlap on cold slicks versus warm inters inlap. Stayed carefull all race. Then the restart, you are at a disadvantage as the rest can slipstream so you have to get all heat into the tires that you can. Still made it.

I can still remember multiple members blaming Max for the outer track bahrein start, where he had imho close to zero chance. Here lewis put the nose into the wall totally unnecessary. Twice. And not a peep. This forum has acedic members. Honousty is far and few.

Luckily Max is always honoust and owns up when he screws up. I’m very impressed with this race under this pressure. Really showed he is up for it. And that will be very needed,that is clear now.
Nice summary of VER defining moments. It really is a battle now with HAM, mostly because the cars are very close. So I expect that setup and some aero developments may be crucial for who will get the WDC. Although you cannot deny that HAM did a very good job coming in second after his error.

zibby43
zibby43

Sieper wrote:
Max definitely earned the win today. That’s indisputable. I don’t think anyone was trying to take away from Max’s solid performance.

However, Max himself said he was lucky not to spin away the win he earned (via his great start, outlap, etc.) during the restart:

“A little moment when I was trying to warm up the throttle . . . Luckily we didn’t spin.”

https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/18/ver ... t-restart/

There’s a difference between implying a victory is lucky and merely starting that there was a lucky moment that helped preserve the earned victory.

Max’s launch at the beginning, especially when that has been an Achilles heel for the RB last year, was particularly impressive. He then converted that launch by staying aggressive. He won the race there all on his own.

Revs84
Revs84

Sieper wrote:

After Lewis crashed, with Bottas down in 8th place (or thereabouts), Verstappen and Red Bull could have gotten themselves a nice cushion in the the WDC and WCC.

But alas, the stars aligned for both Hamilton and Mercedes. I was in disbelief when the race was red flagged, and even more when Hamilton was able to unlap himself. Perez ending in 12th was the cherry on top of the cake!

But that's racing I guess. I sure hope though that Red Bull and Max will get their fair share of luck themselves, as it's shaping up to be extremely tight this year.

Moreover, Red Bull and the drivers need to have much cleaner weekends. The pole was theirs to lose and Perez's points might be the difference between getting or losing the WCC.

godlameroso

Perez will be determined to make up for this race, he will spend the next two weeks on the simulator to make sure he qualifies next to Verstappen and doesn't throw away an easy 1-2.

Looks like plenty of moisture will be falling on Portimao for the next two weeks, hopefully that leads to normal nice weather come the weekend.
Saishū kōnā

Sieper

zibby43 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 21:01
Sieper wrote:
Max definitely earned the win today. That’s indisputable. I don’t think anyone was trying to take away from Max’s solid performance.

However, Max himself said he was lucky not to spin away the win he earned (via his great start, outlap, etc.) during the restart:

“A little moment when I was trying to warm up the throttle . . . Luckily we didn’t spin.”

https://www.racefans.net/2021/04/18/ver ... t-restart/

There’s a difference between implying a victory is lucky and merely starting that there was a lucky moment that helped preserve the earned victory.

Max’s launch at the beginning, especially when that has been an Achilles heel for the RB last year, was particularly impressive. He then converted that launch by staying aggressive. He won the race there all on his own.
I think so too, and so did Max, he was completely honoust about that moment. Like I also said in my post.

foneFanatiq

fantastic drive from Max, but If lewis wasn't already considered the best, id consider him to be one of the luckiest as well. Whenever something goes down he usually comes out the luckiest.

Datco
Datco

Awesome win by Max, he did everything perfectly. The merc was the faster car today. Lewis easily passed cars including other merc powered cars with DRS while Perez struggled to pass Vettel with DRS. I feel if Lewis got within DRS of Max he would have easily passed.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Juzh

Datco wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 22:17
Awesome win by Max, he did everything perfectly. The merc was the faster car today. Lewis easily passed cars including other merc powered cars with DRS while Perez struggled to pass Vettel with DRS. I feel if Lewis got within DRS of Max he would have easily passed.
Likely scenario, but one that is puzzling. How can engine performance differentiate so much from quali to race when ICE maps are frozen from Q1 onwards? As is known Honda is at least a match for mercedes PU in qualifying, but have noticeable deficit in races. Just check this quali side by side from hamilton and perez:
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2021/ ... magna.html

That's now a second race in a row we've seen this. In bahrain it was partially down to some reliability tweaks that hindered performance, but in Imola we've not heard about anything like that (so far), so it's a bit of a mistery. I just hope it doesn't become a trend.

Marti_EF3

Pérez need to deliever. If not, WCC is over. Today was a lost oportunity to take the lead, hope they won't regret it by the end of the season...

Revs84
Revs84

Juzh wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 22:35
Datco wrote:
Likely scenario, but one that is puzzling. How can engine performance differentiate so much from quali to race when ICE maps are frozen from Q1 onwards? As is known Honda is at least a match for mercedes PU in qualifying, but have noticeable deficit in races. Just check this quali side by side from hamilton and perez:

That's now a second race in a row we've seen this. In bahrain it was partially down to some reliability tweaks that hindered performance, but in Imola we've not heard about anything like that (so far), so it's a bit of a mistery. I just hope it doesn't become a trend.
The deficit is not necessarily from the PU. Between quali and the race, the only thing that changes on the PU is the mode for recovery and deployment.

There are various other factors at play though, such as tyre degradation, fuel load, car handling when loaded with fuel etc.

With that being said, how did you deduct that there is a noticeable deficit?

godlameroso

Juzh wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 22:35
Datco wrote:

I don't follow, looking at the lap times Hamilton had nothing on Verstappen. Save for the fastest lap attempt when he overtook Norris, he had DRS and did maximum attack, once he cleared Norris, his pace was lower than Verstappen's. In a straight fight, the RBR is a bit faster than the Mercedes over a race. Unless Mercedes takes a big leap in performance, I doubt they'll end the season with the fastest car, unless they want to sacrifice next year.

For Mercedes to regain its advantage it will have to come through the power unit side, because RBR has caught them on the chassis front.
Saishū kōnā

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Lewis was either in dirty air or was far enough back from Max to save the car.

Lap times often don’t paint a full picture since engines have to last 9 races, tire allotment, etc.

There is something to be said for lap times, but there is some cloudiness to it too due to how teams have to conserve tires and the drivetrain.

I think RBR has the raw pace over Merc. It might be a wash over the race.

JordanMugen

Great job by Max! Shame for Sergio's lost points.