2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Phil

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Drivers profit of new engines. Cars can be crashed purposly. Cars that have more crashed should not benifit their drivers with new and better engines.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Tizz wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 20:39
dans79 wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 20:33
I think the bigger issue is the over regulation of the sport. The RULes have pushed everyone into exorbitantly expensive R&D, with the need for everything to be as reliable as possible, efficient as possible.

in my personal opinion stuff would be much cheaper if we went back to everything only needing to last a weekend, with a dose of common sense. active aero and suspension would also most likely drastically reduce cost.
It is a difficult call whether or not this will this will be cheaper in the end and requires profound knowledge of the production costs. It used to be like that but I think they left this strategy when teams in financial trouble did no longer have parts for the wings, the gearbox and so on and hardly could participate at all.
Again that's over regulation in my opinion. We used to have customer cars, and teams didn't have to compete in every race of the season.
197 104 103 7

Tizz

dans79 wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 20:45
Again that's over regulation in my opinion. We used to have customer cars, and teams didn't have to compete in every race of the season.
Maybe so, but it were different times. There were more cars than places on the grid. In recent times there have been many occasions where it was unsure whether or not there would be a decent number of cars on the grid. TV broadcasters require a number of cars and a number of races. Formula1 and the sponsors require the teams participate in all the races. It is the legacy of Bernie Ecclestone.

dans79

Tizz wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 20:53
dans79 wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 20:45
Maybe so, but it were different times. There were more cars than places on the grid. In recent times there have been many occasions where it was unsure whether or not there would be a decent number of cars on the grid. TV broadcasters require a number of cars and a number of races. Formula1 and the sponsors require the teams participate in all the races. It is the legacy of Bernie Ecclestone.
Yeah, that's the underlying problem Bernie's constant need to maximize profits at all costs. He slowly cut off his nose to spite his face!
197 104 103 7

Jolle
Jolle

This discussion is a bit late. For mechanical components that you can’t replace without a penalty has been a “problem” ever since engines had to last at least a whole weekend. Never been a problem or an issue with team bosses. And the “problem” isn’t just components. What if Perez clumsy hits Hamilton in Q1?
I think the Toto comments is more his own realisation that he has to operate within a strict budget. Something 7 out of 10 teams were already doing.

adrianjordan

LHamilton wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 15:17
214270 wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 12:51
DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 11:34
Lewis is testing the 18 inch wheels. Looks super dope imo.
Absolutely no chance this is his final season if he’s that invested.
Personally I don't get this "Hamilton might retire this season" talk. I for one would be really suprised if he did. Hamilton has time and time again said that he wants to battle other people. And having a few seasons and races where that hasn't happend as often as he probably would've liked, he could very well be looking at the new rules and be thinking that would be a good chance of that changing for two reasons. (1) The gap closing between teams, and (2) the possibility of closer battles due to the new regulations promoting the capacity to stay closer to the car ahead in dirty air.

On top of the regulation changes to the car we get new tyres, which most likely will behave differently. So 2022 will be a big change and a new learning curve. And for someone like Hamilton who's been in F1 for a long time, that might also be a breath of fresh air and re-motivate him to go on (if that was an issue for him).

So I'm thinking that he will give the new rules a go and see where that leads. One year, maybe two. If it doesn't satisfy him, he will likely retire after that.
Totally agree. Also, Lewis' demeanour this season, particularly after that last race, seems happier than he's seemed in a while. I think he's relishing the challenge this season and will stick around for a few more.

I genuinely believe the "we didn't have time" reasoning for him only signing a 1 year extension.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

MKlaus
MKlaus

extended video of the test. those tyres seems ultra slow. atleast that's what appears to the naked eye without any graphics.

dans79

MKlaus wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 16:02
extended video of the test. those tyres seems ultra slow. atleast that's what appears to the naked eye without any graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Gm0t_DlPQ
The runs are more about gathering as much data as possible, then trying to set the fastest lap times.
197 104 103 7

dans79

It's also worth mentioning that the car most likely wasn't optimized to run these tires. With the reduced sidewall, the suspension will be required to do more of the work teams used to rely on the sidewalls to do.

Having watched a good chunk of the video at 1/4th speed the sidewalls appear to be very stiff. I didn't see any of lateral oscillations like you do with the current generation of tires. Not to mention Lewis was staying well away from all the high curbs.
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

Pretty optimistic outlook for Merc, as outlined by Scarbs:

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 02:44

https://youtu.be/2Rcj2x5tpu8
I think the biggest step they will take, will be being able to switch on the softer compounds without sacrificing the degradation advantage they have right now.
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 06:31
zibby43 wrote:

I think the biggest step they will take, will be being able to switch on the softer compounds without sacrificing the degradation advantage they have right now.
100% agreed. In terms of overall team performance, Bottas needs to get comfortable with the car. As Scarbs said, Hamilton is able to extract the performance out of it despite it being a bit on a knife's edge like the '18 car.

Also saw where Horner said, via The Race, that he expects Portimao to play to Merc's strengths. I agree with his assessment, but it still should be pretty close in quali.

Juzh

zibby43 wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 09:06
dans79 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

100% agreed. In terms of overall team performance, Bottas needs to get comfortable with the car. As Scarbs said, Hamilton is able to extract the performance out of it despite it being a bit on a knife's edge like the '18 car.

Also saw where Horner said, via The Race, that he expects Portimao to play to Merc's strengths. I agree with his assessment, but it still should be pretty close in quali.
I believe he meant 2017. I don't remember anything being wrong with 2018 car. That one took pole in melbourne with 7 tenths margin.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Juzh wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 10:00
zibby43 wrote:
28 Apr 2021, 09:06
dans79 wrote:

I believe he meant 2017. I don't remember anything being wrong with 2018 car. That one took pole in melbourne with 7 tenths margin.
Yeah, he wasn't sure himself "was it the 2018 diva they had?". The 2017 car was the one the team referred to as a diva.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Yeah if I recall correctly, the W08 (2017) was the "Diva". The fight was tight during that year with Mercedes clawing back and finally dominating in the latter half of the season.