2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra
14
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:40 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

Always nice to see some new sponsors, but again same overprice clothing as if the OG McLaren merch is not expensive enough...

Macklaren
Macklaren
31
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post


SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
267
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

diffuser wrote:
The can but it isn't allowed..."The FIA allows the use of these devices provided that their Characteristics are fixed once the car is out on the track."
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/differential.html
@diffuser

I don’t know how reliable is that website and the information in it... But I have a tendency to believe more on the footage of the drivers actually changing the differential “on track” during qualifying (instead of for example during practice)... If it would be banned, they wouldn’t be able to use it and they wouldn’t have 2-3 sets of dials on their steering wheels to make the changes.

It would be nice to have some information from the Tech Regs or Sporting Regs, but I’m satisfied by the explanation from the team’s themselves as well as the footage... Thanks for the info though.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CjC
CjC
25
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

Just a fan's point of view

User avatar
JRindt
11
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

CjC wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm
High praise indeed👍🏻

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/seidl ... t/6502511/
“If we keep delivering upgrades to the car, if Lando keeps doing what he did so far these first three races, it will end up in keeping the pressure on these guys ahead of us and then there will be opportunities to finish races in front of them”

They sure are talking about upgrades way more than they did these last 2 years. I have a feeling it’s going to be a substantial package, which has the potential to break free from Ferrari and hang on to the coat tails of top 2 🤞

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
267
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

That’s actually pretty encouraging... No doubt he’s having a great start to the season!

I’m hoping for a strong showing in Barcelona!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Macklaren
Macklaren
31
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

I am also encouraged by McLaren, as a team, repeatedly admitting that Merc and RBR are still well ahead of them If you think psychologically, as a sportsperson, I am probably going to consistently admit that my competitor is better than me, only if I know EXACTLY why he/she is better than I am and what I can do to get there. Otherwise, you are unlikely to admit that you will be beaten every day for the foreseeable future and will come up with excuses instead. This gives me confidence that McLaren knows EXACTLY what they are lacking in the current car and will fix it with the big reset next year.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect
149
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

JRindt wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:30 pm
CjC wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm
High praise indeed👍🏻

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/seidl ... t/6502511/
“If we keep delivering upgrades to the car, if Lando keeps doing what he did so far these first three races, it will end up in keeping the pressure on these guys ahead of us and then there will be opportunities to finish races in front of them”

They sure are talking about upgrades way more than they did these last 2 years. I have a feeling it’s going to be a substantial package, which has the potential to break free from Ferrari and hang on to the coat tails of top 2 🤞
I feel the same way too. One key take away from Daniels’s interview on channel 4 for me was when they asked if the upgrades will help him. He said that Lando, with more knowledge of the car has done a good job so far of driving around the weaknesses. So if all goes according to plan, the upgrades will help them both.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
267
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

Ground Effect wrote:
JRindt wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:30 pm
CjC wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:04 pm
High praise indeed

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/seidl ... t/6502511/
“If we keep delivering upgrades to the car, if Lando keeps doing what he did so far these first three races, it will end up in keeping the pressure on these guys ahead of us and then there will be opportunities to finish races in front of them”

They sure are talking about upgrades way more than they did these last 2 years. I have a feeling it’s going to be a substantial package, which has the potential to break free from Ferrari and hang on to the coat tails of top 2
I feel the same way too. One key take away from Daniels’s interview on channel 4 for me was when they asked if the upgrades will help him. He said that Lando, with more knowledge of the car has done a good job so far of driving around the weaknesses. So if all goes according to plan, the upgrades will help them both.
The upgrades are intended to improve the overall performance of the car, therefore they wouldn’t be intended to help one driver and not the other.

At the same time, the car may experience some changes in it’s handling thanks to them and the drivers may need to adapt to it in order to extract the most out of it.

Luckily, Lando seems to be a driver that is quick to adapt to a new car, the MCL35 was different than the MCL34 and I believe he did a good job getting on top of it, similar situation between the MCL35M and the MCL35, which even when they share the same chassis the performance improvement year on year shows that it is a different car.

Wasn’t it Lando that said that he had to “unlearn” a few things he was doing last year to get the most out of the current car?

It will be very exciting to watch if the team indeed bring updates that imply a good jump in performance... The car has speed, even at Portimao, Lando didn’t had a chance to go on his fast lap and even his first run in Q3 was enough for P7 and not that far from Carlos in P5.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CjC
CjC
25
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

SmallSoldier wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:35 pm
That’s actually pretty encouraging... No doubt he’s having a great start to the season!

I’m hoping for a strong showing in Barcelona!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He is. I wanted to share the article because as you know I do my fair share of Lando bashing but I also give credit when it’s due👍🏻😂
Just a fan's point of view

User avatar
diffuser
227
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

SmallSoldier wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:03 pm
diffuser wrote:
The can but it isn't allowed..."The FIA allows the use of these devices provided that their Characteristics are fixed once the car is out on the track."
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/differential.html
@diffuser

I don’t know how reliable is that website and the information in it... But I have a tendency to believe more on the footage of the drivers actually changing the differential “on track” during qualifying (instead of for example during practice)... If it would be banned, they wouldn’t be able to use it and they wouldn’t have 2-3 sets of dials on their steering wheels to make the changes.

It would be nice to have some information from the Tech Regs or Sporting Regs, but I’m satisfied by the explanation from the team’s themselves as well as the footage... Thanks for the info though.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Me either. But if you search the quote, you'll find hits on many sites. Doesn't make it right, just popular. :)

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
267
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

Nice interview with Daniel where he discusses how he will try a few setup changes to make the car suit him a bit better... The fact that they have tried not to be too far from Lando’s setup speak to a very humble approach:

“There were times on the medium which showed really good pace and I think there was some some good promise there. Then on the hard, at the end, it was a little tricky but we still managed hold on in the points.

“But [we] didn’t have the pace of Alonso, his pace was really, really something on the hard.”

The race also revealed some potential new set-up improvements to help the car suit Ricciardo’s driving style better. “The clean laps I did, I was happy, but there’s still mistakes during the race and most of the mistakes came from the same thing,” he explained.

“I’m not convinced it’s just updates that will help, but I think actually just set-up I can help myself in that area,” he said. “So it’s probably something I’ve just missed the first few races.

“I think I can probably just change a little bit the set-up to help me in this area. So I’m kind of optimistic looking at Barcelona.”

The areas for improvement include “a bit of locking [brakes], then sometimes it’s losing the rear, but there’s a fine line, I guess.

“There’s a period in the entry phase [to a corner] where the car is on a knife-edge and I feel like there’s probably a set-up solution where I can just open that and not be on such a knife-edge because it is really sensitive.

“I think Lando is certainly able to say drive around that better than me at the moment and probably to fast-track my learning, I can just try something with set-up the opens that window and it’s probably with suspension or something like that.”

Ricciardo said he had been trying to not move his own set-up too far away from his team mate’s. “Definitely after Bahrain and Imola, I had a clear direction for the team as far as updates and to feedback to aero like, ‘okay, this is where we need to improve the car looking forward’.

“But I still wasn’t sure what I want currently in the car and how I want to set up the car,” he said. “We’re trying not to go too far away from Lando because obviously he’s on top of it and driving well. But I think today I learnt a few things that maybe I can start to set it up to suit me and see how that goes in Barcelona.”


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrGapes
MrGapes
3
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:24 am

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

For someone as grounded as Andreas this is a pretty exciting statement!

Macklaren
Macklaren
31
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

This week's Unboxed is hilarious -- those paper plane shenanigans!

mwillems
mwillems
62
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Post

SmallSoldier wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:03 pm
diffuser wrote:
The can but it isn't allowed..."The FIA allows the use of these devices provided that their Characteristics are fixed once the car is out on the track."
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/differential.html
@diffuser

I don’t know how reliable is that website and the information in it... But I have a tendency to believe more on the footage of the drivers actually changing the differential “on track” during qualifying (instead of for example during practice)... If it would be banned, they wouldn’t be able to use it and they wouldn’t have 2-3 sets of dials on their steering wheels to make the changes.

It would be nice to have some information from the Tech Regs or Sporting Regs, but I’m satisfied by the explanation from the team’s themselves as well as the footage... Thanks for the info though.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You two gentleman might find this useful.

In it, it describes how Max lost pace in Bahrain because he was unable to adjust the diff, so it would seem that in race changes are fine.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... qLMpA.html