2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
nevill3

Re: 2021 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, May 07 - 09

I believe Lewis doesn't forget things like this so Bottas had better hope he never needs Lewis to let him pass anytime soon.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

214270 wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:39
Marty_Y wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:32
'They just had the quicker car'
Red Bull team boss Christian Horner, speaking to Sky Sports: "I don't think we could [have done anything differently]. In fairness, hats off to Mercedes and Lewis.

"They were just quicker than we were today. We were surprised they didn't go for the early undercut. [At the end] We knew he was probably going to catch us.

"They just looked like they had a quicker car today. They were able to follow so closely. They had nothing to lose when taking that pit stop into the clean air."
When you’re the only team running a spoon wing it does beg the question about how they set the car up. They had a torrid Fri, I think they panicked a bit and set up their car for quali & this is the result; poorer pace & deg on Sun.
Nah, Merc has been faster on the harder tire in the past. Seems to suit their car. Verstappen afterall did almost 40 laps on those mediums.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:35
Bottas: "I am not here to let people by. I am here to race."

Good stuff!
It's the first time he raced for ages... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mogster

nevill3 wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:52
I believe Lewis doesn't forget things like this so Bottas had better hope he never needs Lewis to let him pass anytime soon.
I’m sure Toto won’t forget it...

Bottas driving like a guy who knows he won’t be a Mercedes driver next year. At this rate he won’t be a Mercedes driver by summer...

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:38
PhillipM wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:36
He wasn't racing Lewis, and if they intended on racing Bottas, they wouldn't have bothered pitting. So either way "I'm here to race" is BS

If he was there to race why was he driving around like Miss Daisy on his new set of tyres instead of pushing on and stopping Max taking the fastest lap from him?
Bottas should have defended much harder to see if he could secure the valuable maximum WDC points for his WDC attempt.
Team had given him an instruction. They are under no obligation to put him in the car this year. They could pay him and leave him in the pits with someone else in the car. His title hopes would be shot in that case.

Ultimately, the drivers are employees of the team. Many people, including some drivers, forget that.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 May 2021, 18:16
JordanMugen wrote:

Good stuff!
Underrated comment :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AMG.Tzan

What a masterclass by Lewis...had it not been for Imola he would have passed Verstapen 4 times on track with similar machinery!!

Lewis's 2021 performances already show the haters how good he really is! Of course this is backed up by a brilliant team taking the right strategic calls...but I really can't see anyone else from the current or the past grid being able to execute this strategy time and time again, specially with today's difficult to overtake cars and at these kind of circuits (Spain, Hungary).

Today's race was epic and this year is just what every F1 fan had been waiting for, for a long time now! Two truly great drivers in similar cars going head to head at every single race! Let's enjoy this season!!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

ferkan
ferkan

AMG.Tzan wrote:
09 May 2021, 18:29
What a masterclass by Lewis...had it not been for Imola he would have passed Verstapen 4 times on track with similar machinery!!

Lewis's 2021 performances already show the haters how good he really is! Of course this is backed up by a brilliant team taking the right strategic calls...but I really can't see anyone else from the current or the past grid being able to execute this strategy time and time again, specially with today's difficult to overtake cars and at these kind of circuits (Spain, Hungary).

Today's race was epic and this year is just what every F1 fan had been waiting for, for a long time now! Two truly great drivers in similar cars going head to head at every single race! Let's enjoy this season!!
I dont think they quite got similar machinery. I mean, at place where RB was faster (Bahrain) in quali, Merc appeared to have race pace advantage. After that it is evident Merc is ahead on race pace and tire management, as conceded today by Horner.

Lewis was sublime though, as was Max as that car is simply not as good here. Had it not been for Leclerc, he would have been 3rd I think.

NathanOlder

Tvetovnato wrote:
09 May 2021, 17:10
Only critizism you can give Hamilton today is that he didn’t defend his position at the start by moving to the middle of the track.. He seemed a bit surprised that Verstappen made the attack there, and it was actually close that they touched.
I thought his plan (Mercedes plan) was to stay left to give Bottas a tow. It just didn't work as the right hand side got better starts (Max and Charles)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

maxxer
maxxer

Bill_Kar wrote:
09 May 2021, 18:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

Good stuff!
Seems Bottas always fades away halfway during a race. Look at Lewis his closing speed on the fresh mediums Bottas only put in one fastest lap on his softs he should have closed the gap to Max at least to 20s he gave them the free pitstop all by himself by not racing enough

To add last race he only got it because of those track limits that Max lost it

Pany
Pany

You make my laugh. Superior Engine is the key factor for 8 year in a row.
ferkan wrote:
09 May 2021, 18:34
AMG.Tzan wrote:

I dont think they quite got similar machinery. I mean, at place where RB was faster (Bahrain) in quali, Merc appeared to have race pace advantage. After that it is evident Merc is ahead on race pace and tire management, as conceded today by Horner.

Lewis was sublime though, as was Max as that car is simply not as good here. Had it not been for Leclerc, he would have been 3rd I think.

El Scorchio

maxxer wrote:
09 May 2021, 18:45
Bill_Kar wrote:
09 May 2021, 18:24
Just_a_fan wrote:

Seems Bottas always fades away halfway during a race. Look at Lewis his closing speed on the fresh mediums Bottas only put in one fastest lap on his softs he should have closed the gap to Max at least to 20s he gave them the free pitstop all by himself by not racing enough

To add last race he only got it because of those track limits that Max lost it
He, like the second red bull driver whoever they may be, is just unable to put in those lap times that Hamilton and Verstappen are able to do. Their relative race pace is just on another level to their team mates.

Unf

AMG.Tzan wrote:

You are British, right?

dans79

Unf wrote:
09 May 2021, 18:50
AMG.Tzan wrote:

You are British, right?
It doesn't matter what is nationality is!

Not to mention if you actually checked his profile you would see he's not british!
197 104 103 7

mafeotul
mafeotul

Unf wrote:
09 May 2021, 18:50
AMG.Tzan wrote:

You are British, right?
What kind of assumption come out of this, is either risky, or tasteless. Tell me one driver that achieves that today, with the exception of MSC in the last 20 years. Because i am looking here, at a racer who has been doing this for 15 years straight, and is playing at ease with arguably the most talented driver i have seen since the both mentioned above have started racing. :)