Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
gordonthegun

Re: Ferrari SF21

JPower wrote:
13 May 2021, 21:45
gordonthegun wrote:
13 May 2021, 21:44
Guys, you keep on saying Ferrari is not that bad, but Ferrari mission is not to be "not that bad", Ferrari has to win!

To fight against Mercedes and Red Bull the car has to be strong in all areas and this is not happening, this was the meaning of my post about the weaknesses of the front of the car.
Yeah, but that's not the reality right now. So let's focus on the present.
I agree. This is a technical forum, for returning to win I'll write on the next letter to Santa Claus. ](*,)

Sevach
Sevach

gordonthegun wrote:
Guys, you keep on saying Ferrari is not that bad, but Ferrari mission is not to be "not that bad", Ferrari has to win!

To fight against Mercedes and Red Bull the car has to be strong in all areas and this is not happening, this was the meaning of my post about the weaknesses of the front of the car.
Those changes you are asking for were never on the cards for the 2021 season with the rules as restrictive as they were, even if it was possible in regulations (which it wasn't)this is also the final season under this set of rules, going to a brand new concept and spend half the season trying to set it up just wouldn't be a good idea.

Be realistic, play with the cards you have and move on.

gordonthegun

Sevach wrote:
14 May 2021, 02:25
gordonthegun wrote:

Those changes you are asking for were never on the cards for the 2021 season with the rules as restrictive as they were, even if it was possible in regulations (which it wasn't)this is also the final season under this set of rules, going to a brand new concept and spend half the season trying to set it up just wouldn't be a good idea.

Be realistic, play with the cards you have and move on.
I'm not asking anything for any season. They were only examples to say how dramatically Ferrari is back compared to the top teams.
Again, for example, nose and suspension concepts are in 2021 the same as in 2016 when Ferrari introduced the large nose with the tip and returned to push rod front suspension after years of pull rod.

After this, you are right, let's move on!

Xwang
Xwang

I see this trend:
2018 was a bit like 1990 (very competitive and almost championship winning)
2019 was a bit like 1991 (unexpectedly no more competitive after some minor aerodynamic rules changes)
2020 was a bit like 1992 (both cars were lemons)
2021 could be like 1993 (better then previous year, some strategic plans starts to be done for the future like 1993 Todt arrival?)
2022 could be like 1994 (not competitive with return to GP victory after some years).

If I'm right, Ferrari is going to compete for championships again in 2025 and will win the first championship in 2027.

gordonthegun

Xwang wrote:
14 May 2021, 12:43
I see this trend:
2019 was a bit like 1991 (unexpectedly no more competitive after some minor aerodynamic rules changes)
2021 could be like 1993 (better then previous year, some strategic plans starts to be done for the future like 1993 Todt arrival?)
2022 could be like 1994 (not competitive with return to GP victory after some years).

If I'm right, Ferrari is going to compete for championships again in 2025 and will win the first championship in 2027.
Congratulations for your vision.

I think that the chances of winning a championship depend strongly on how the 2022 car will be at first.
If competitive, on par with Mercedes and Red Bull or even stronger, Ferrari may win even immediately.

In recent years Ferrari has proved to be weak in development throughout a single season and also different seasons if rules stay the same, so I don't believe in an improvement of a car that at the beginning is not competitive.

I think that from 2022, the more the years pass the less the chances of victory will be.

AtlasZX

Xwang wrote:
I see this trend:

from what I understand, they are focusing a lot on the new 2026 engine specs, exactly like Mercedes did in 2014.
They also want the new engines debut being anticipated to 2025.

hollus

Thunder wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 15:57
This is the Ferrari SF21 offical car thread.

Please discuss ONLY technical items of this car, and refrain from speculation.

General discussion about the team, its drivers and performance can be posted in the team thread.

Livery Talk also belongs in the Team Thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=29594

https://i.redd.it/p371n22zp6m61.png

/cough/ notice the 21 in the car’s name /cough/
Rivals, not enemies.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

gordonthegun wrote:
13 May 2021, 15:03
LM10 wrote:
13 May 2021, 09:52
wowgr8 wrote:
13 May 2021, 04:27

It's good that Ferrari are always thinking of protecting reliability I like that safety first approach, but when you compare it to Mercedes where everything is so on the limit its incredible. When you compare the hot air exits the Mercs always run theirs incredibly tiny and they never have reliability issues it's amazing. And how tight their engine cover is. The Merc cars from the W10 to the W12 are just works of art. Shows the difference between them and a team like Ferrari who spend as much as Merc but are nowhere near as good
I don't understand how people can look at the rear air outlets completely isolated from the whole car concept. Every car has a different engine cover. Look at how early the cover starts to drop down on the Ferrari, right after the roll hoop. No other car has it that extreme. For that reason their shark fin is the biggest on the field. Last year it was even bigger, a monster of a shark fin, but this year they changed the design on that part of the cover a bit because they came up with a downwash style sidepod area like Mercedes and Redbull have already had.
What's more, last year they significantly slimmed down the middle part of the engine cover, sort of RedBull style. That was even though they had that extreme drop down after the roll hoop. And it's still like that on the SF21.

As for Mercedes running everything to it's extreme and not having any reliability issues. You might have missed the constant news of them having engine heat issues in the last couple of seasons. They seem to choose to run the engines turned down instead of adjusting the engine cover.

Maybe you'll think differently when you look at the best Ferrari of recent years, the SF70H. A masterpiece of a car with a big air outlet at the back.

So to sum it up, I highly doubt that you can tell that a team is "nowhere near as good" by simply looking at the rear air outlet.
Right!
In fact Ferrari is dramatically behind the top teams not only looking at the rear air outlets.
It's behind in front suspension, in front aero.
It's the only team that didn't raise the front suspension arms (together with Haas) to let more air pass under them to go to the floor and diffuser.
It's one of the 3 teams with an impressively large nose (together with Haas and Williams).
It's behind as a team in general, in strategist, in mechanics and tools too (considering the usual time needed for a pit stop, always longer than the 2 top teams).

To conclude: considering that the most similar cars to Ferrari are Haas and Williams that are the last, Ferrari must have a very well hidden secret to be maybe the 3rd or 4th force in the championship.
This front aero/suspension has become quite an urban myth. Its the whole car philosophy dude, you can't just waltz in and claim "they are behind" when you don't even understand the differences in their philosophies.
Just some basic 'jumping the bandwagon' thing isn't always the solution to a problem jim.
Also, the pistops show for themselves in 2021, so nothing to be said there.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

TechF1

gordonthegun wrote:
13 May 2021, 15:03
LM10 wrote:
13 May 2021, 09:52
wowgr8 wrote:
13 May 2021, 04:27

It's good that Ferrari are always thinking of protecting reliability I like that safety first approach, but when you compare it to Mercedes where everything is so on the limit its incredible. When you compare the hot air exits the Mercs always run theirs incredibly tiny and they never have reliability issues it's amazing. And how tight their engine cover is. The Merc cars from the W10 to the W12 are just works of art. Shows the difference between them and a team like Ferrari who spend as much as Merc but are nowhere near as good
I don't understand how people can look at the rear air outlets completely isolated from the whole car concept. Every car has a different engine cover. Look at how early the cover starts to drop down on the Ferrari, right after the roll hoop. No other car has it that extreme. For that reason their shark fin is the biggest on the field. Last year it was even bigger, a monster of a shark fin, but this year they changed the design on that part of the cover a bit because they came up with a downwash style sidepod area like Mercedes and Redbull have already had.
What's more, last year they significantly slimmed down the middle part of the engine cover, sort of RedBull style. That was even though they had that extreme drop down after the roll hoop. And it's still like that on the SF21.

As for Mercedes running everything to it's extreme and not having any reliability issues. You might have missed the constant news of them having engine heat issues in the last couple of seasons. They seem to choose to run the engines turned down instead of adjusting the engine cover.

Maybe you'll think differently when you look at the best Ferrari of recent years, the SF70H. A masterpiece of a car with a big air outlet at the back.

So to sum it up, I highly doubt that you can tell that a team is "nowhere near as good" by simply looking at the rear air outlet.
Right!
In fact Ferrari is dramatically behind the top teams not only looking at the rear air outlets.
It's behind in front suspension, in front aero.
It's the only team that didn't raise the front suspension arms (together with Haas) to let more air pass under them to go to the floor and diffuser.
It's one of the 3 teams with an impressively large nose (together with Haas and Williams).
It's behind as a team in general, in strategist, in mechanics and tools too (considering the usual time needed for a pit stop, always longer than the 2 top teams).

To conclude: considering that the most similar cars to Ferrari are Haas and Williams that are the last, Ferrari must have a very well hidden secret to be maybe the 3rd or 4th force in the championship.
Please, this is a technical forum thread about the SF21, do not transform it in a nonsensical whining thread. :roll:

gordonthegun

It remains a mistery whether the cape of the SF21 has actually changed from Portimao, since I found this more drawing from Giorgio Piola, an usually reliable source:

Partymood
Partymood

AtlasZX wrote:
14 May 2021, 19:35
Xwang wrote:
I see this trend:

from what I understand, they are focusing a lot on the new 2026 engine specs, exactly like Mercedes did in 2014.
They also want the new engines debut being anticipated to 2025.
In 2010

TechF1

Nothing particularly new, but so many spare parts :wink:

SiLo

TechF1 wrote:
20 May 2021, 13:56
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E1vW3R6WUAI ... name=large
Well it is Monaco, you're more likely to need them here! Does anyone know how the front cameras connect to whatever circuit they are part of? Only just clocked the knob like connectors for the front wing.
Felipe Baby!

gordonthegun

TechF1 wrote:
Not so "technical" to be honest, but don't worry, I like it. :D

TechF1

gordonthegun wrote:
20 May 2021, 17:05
TechF1 wrote:
Not so "technical" to be honest, but don't worry, I like it. :D
But it's on topic the thread it's about the SF21 Car technical items as per request, spare parts included. :mrgreen: