2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Also they should add a audible bong noise when it's activated so the driver knows something has changed, my Mercedes bongs if you haven't released the parking brake fully and start to drive.

zibby43
zibby43

Toto said one thing I wholly agree with, and that is the fact that Merc will lose both titles if they keep running a car that loses seconds at the starts/re-starts of races and after pit stops.

Shrieker

dans79 wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 18:02
I'm actually shocked that it seems to be just a simple button.
Yes it's quite shocking, innit ? How can they make such a dumb design choice is beyond me. At least put a goddamn button guard around it or something... If you accidentally activate it, you can't corner lmao what the hell were they thinking...
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Pyrone89

zibby43 wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 19:55
Toto said one thing I wholly agree with, and that is the fact that Merc will lose both titles if they keep running a car that loses seconds at the starts/re-starts of races and after pit stops.
Toto is, and always has been, a drama queen. Even when Mercedes was crushing the other cars without breaking a sweat he was saying how hard they had it.

Trust me, these were the 2 street-type circuits of this year (Singapore and Canada cancelled remember) so from now on we will see normal service be resumed, being the W12 the fastest car on normal tracks.
And to put my money where my mouth is I have placed €265 on Hamilton for WDC and another €100 for him to win France, I am that sure of it.
Last edited by Pyrone89 on 07 Jun 2021, 22:20, edited 2 times in total.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Gothrek
Gothrek

Shrieker wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 22:09
dans79 wrote:
Yes it's quite shocking, innit ? How can they make such a dumb design choice is beyond me. At least put a goddamn button guard around it or something... If you accidentally activate it, you can't corner lmao what the hell were they thinking...
Or it was just an honest driver mistake? Hamilton is not infallible guys. It is easy to blame the buttons or the steering wheel. It probably was just a driver error and nothing wrong with the button or steering wheel.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 17:48
On the token rule, some are saying that the tokens had to be spent in Bahrain. So could Mercedes have submitted what they spent their tokens on and just not put it on the car yet ?
James Allison said "We have spent our tokens, but we won't reveal how we used them just yet. That'll become clear in good time."

But they haven't revealed anything since, nothing is visually obvious on the W12 that explains where the tokens have been used.

Maybe they changed two minor things that cost 1 token each, but I can't understand why they are still being so secretive about it because if everyone else has spent theirs it's not like it could be copied. But I suppose it's a cut throat business and they don't want to give the competition any ideas what or where they're developing.

I still want to know what this is all about, has anyone heard anything more about this?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/surprise- ... cedes-w12/
Wolff, though, has now revealed that the engine innovation is not the end of Mercedes’ surprises

“You haven’t even seen what we’re going to put on the car yet,” Racingnews365 quotes the Austrian as having told Canal+ ahead of the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix.

“Of course, there is room for innovation and that always made me happy. Every year we try to do something that is a little bit boxy.

“I’m not sure it makes a big difference in terms of the performance of the car. It’s beautiful if it works.”

Pyrone89

Gothrek wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 22:56
Shrieker wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Or it was just an honest driver mistake? Hamilton is not infallible guys. It is easy to blame the buttons or the steering wheel. It probably was just a driver error and nothing wrong with the button or steering wheel.
[/Thunberg voice mixed with Toto's words] How dare you! Lewis does not make mistakes. Now when you look into this pen you will forget Imola :wink:

PS: before anyone takes this to harshly, I am just poking fun at Toto (and his difference in treatment of Bottas and Hamilton issues) a bit.

NathanOlder

Marty_Y wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 23:00
NathanOlder wrote:
On the token rule, some are saying that the tokens had to be spent in Bahrain. So could Mercedes have submitted what they spent their tokens on and just not put it on the car yet ?
James Allison said "We have spent our tokens, but we won't reveal how we used them just yet. That'll become clear in good time."

But they haven't revealed anything since, nothing is visually obvious on the W12 that explains where the tokens have been used.

Maybe they changed two minor things that cost 1 token each, but I can't understand why they are still being so secretive about it because if everyone else has spent theirs it's not like it could be copied. But I suppose it's a cut throat business and they don't want to give the competition any ideas what or where they're developing.

I still want to know what this is all about, has anyone heard anything more about this?

Wolff, though, has now revealed that the engine innovation is not the end of Mercedes’ surprises

“You haven’t even seen what we’re going to put on the car yet,” Racingnews365 quotes the Austrian as having told Canal+ ahead of the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix.

“Of course, there is room for innovation and that always made me happy. Every year we try to do something that is a little bit boxy.

“I’m not sure it makes a big difference in terms of the performance of the car. It’s beautiful if it works.”
This last bit is what makes me think they spent their tokens on something unique but just haven't put it on the car yet as they are still trying to perfect it maybe?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

Gothrek wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 22:56
Shrieker wrote:
dans79 wrote:
I think the race engineers were able to confirm to him he had switched it off before the restart and that it was pushed during the restart (on upshift, I believe someone said?)

dans79

El Scorchio wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 23:49
I think the race engineers were able to confirm to him he had switched it off before the restart and that it was pushed during the restart (on upshift, I believe someone said?)
197 104 103 7

SiLo

I'm guessing the sudden steering input he had to make to get around Perez potentially had him catch the button. It's on the back of the steering wheel right where the end of your fingertips would be (unless they have moved it recently).
Felipe Baby!

Pyrone89

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 23:22
Marty_Y wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

This last bit is what makes me think they spent their tokens on something unique but just haven't put it on the car yet as they are still trying to perfect it maybe?
Could be. Let's hope not. It would instantly turn 2021 into another 2020.

But they do have motive for keeping back the latest and best until after July 1st. If I am not mistaken that is the cut-off for determining the amount of wind tunnel time the teams get for the next 6 months.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... dYx8a.html

So -thin foil hat on- there is an incentive to only start dominating after July 1st.

dans79

Everything I have read, has said the homogenized parts had to be on the car from Bahrain onwards.

I only see 2 possibilities at this point.

One, they changed a homogenized component (like the front or back monocoque), in a subtle way (that isn't readily apparent) so they could update/change a non homogenized component later in the season.

Two, they changed a homogenized component (like the front or back monocoque), in a subtle way in preparation for 2022, thats gives them some form of advantage next year.

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 23:22

197 104 103 7

DarthPlagueisTheVise
DarthPlagueisTheVise

Marty_Y wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

I think the “You haven’t even seen what we’re going to put on the car yet” part was a joke
Technical Noob

b2bL44
b2bL44

Yes 100% this was a tongue in cheek comment from Toto when asked about what innovations Mercedes have for the W12.
I like headbuttin’ journos an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny.
That when a journo walks in wit´ some bait an´
A hook right in yo´ face. You get SMACKED.