2021 Williams F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
gshevlin
gshevlin

Re: 2021 Williams F1 Team

I think the best comment about the position of Williams came from Paddy Lowe, to the effect that a team doesn't just build a slow car one season. The real problem is that the team has dropped into a pattern of persistently building slow cars, which reflects bigger underlying issues.

Lynx
Lynx

gshevlin wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:07 pm
I think the best comment about the position of Williams came from Paddy Lowe, to the effect that a team doesn't just build a slow car one season. The real problem is that the team has dropped into a pattern of persistently building slow cars, which reflects bigger underlying issues.
No, Paddy Lowe's comments are really not the best from any perspective. If we can search for a person that contributed the most to Williams' fall to the bottom, it is him. I have to write again that in the time he took the position of CTO Williams had the 4th fastest car (early 2017). Earlier (when Symonds led Williams technical team) there were no so major problems that the car would be dead last.

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

I think its widely accepted that the Mercedes engine masked a lot of the problems with the Williams cars before 2017

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Lynx wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:46 pm
gshevlin wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:07 pm
No, Paddy Lowe's comments are really not the best from any perspective. If we can search for a person that contributed the most to Williams' fall to the bottom, it is him. I have to write again that in the time he took the position of CTO Williams had the 4th fastest car (early 2017). Earlier (when Symonds led Williams technical team) there were no so major problems that the car would be dead last.
please stop repeating this tripe nonsense. it's poking a dead horse and makes no sense at all.

whatever the situation, it is now in the past. Williams will need time to transition from it's former state to a better state. This includes drivers. Russell is their greatest asset right now but they'll lose him after 2021 no matter what Mercedes does so that's a given.

They have reorganised and are continuing this path, and the fact they're willing to ditch 'key' people shows commitment and decisions that they have been lacking the past decade.

There's a plan on the table, and that's probably the most important thing right now.
After leaking the entire actual car before launch, which was an absolute low point, it seems they have learned and are taking matters in their hands. What's important is not to look into the past but look into the future and adapt to the future, and it looks like they are doing just that.

2022 is a reset and it's gonna be interesting to see what goes on from there on, including which driver they'll sign.
Latifi surely will stay, but will Nissany get a race seat is the next big question. He hasn't got the talent, but he does bring a lot of money and that is still important right now. That said, if they can manage to make a new deal with Merc with another protegé, that has it's benefits too.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.