2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2021 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, June 04 - 06

Plus, there was no real pressing reason to think it would be needed to so a second pitstop. Pirelli said red white one stopper was the preferred strategy.

Just imagine the outfall if Max would have ended up 8th or so, or had a collision. No, a pit stop was probably not such a good idea without hindsight.

NathanOlder

pantherxxx wrote:
12 Jun 2021, 22:37
So I’ll sum up what Pirelli is saying: Aston and RB somehow adjusted the tire pressure to their liking during the race, as they went through both pre- and post-race measurements. And the reason for this? To wear out their own tires sooner. Brilliant idea!
Surely Max's left rear was below the minimum pressure post race :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle
Jolle

Stoll was driving his hards on a full tank, maybe with a bit more downforce while Verstappen didn't have any DRS on the straights (and maybe a tad more downforce then, for instance, Hamilton). Together with that RedBull is very good at warming the tires quickly, having Newey rear downforce.... it would be on Verstappen's car where it would fail first. Next to that, maybe they were running a bit more camber then the rest of the field to have better traction off the slow corners.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 11:43
Next to that, maybe they were running a bit more camber then the rest of the field to have better traction off the slow corners.
Isn't camber limited by Pirelli? You'd think the teams would run much the same and all up to the limit anyway.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle
Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 12:28
Jolle wrote:
Next to that, maybe they were running a bit more camber then the rest of the field to have better traction off the slow corners.
Isn't camber limited by Pirelli? You'd think the teams would run much the same and all up to the limit anyway.
Set by Pirelli but… static, not under load

nzjrs

Jolle wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 12:31
Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 12:28
Jolle wrote:
Set by Pirelli but… static, not under load
I can imagine the next race, Hamilton in the press conference "thanks France, you have the best fans, we've just got to keep pushing hard back in the factory and ... checks notes ... did you see the flexy camber on the those RB wheels, that's got to be worth at least 11 tenths on a track like TRACK, I hope someone is looking into this ya know"

PlatinumZealot

So the announcement on the cause of failures should come this week. Expecting it to be debris.

Happy to be proven wrong however because it would mean if RedBull run the tyres in the same way they could have more failures and the only solution would be adjust to a slower and safer way of running them.

It's actually better for RedBull if the cause was debris.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Jolle
Jolle

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Jun 2021, 18:47
So the announcement on the cause of failures should come this week. Expecting it to be debris.

Happy to be proven wrong however because it would mean if RedBull run the tyres in the same way they could have more failures and the only solution would be adjust to a slower and safer way of running them.

It's actually better for RedBull if the cause was debris.
Dunno, last year the second race at Silverstone where they had to run dramatically increased pressures to run the softer compound after the tire failures a week before were clearly in RedBulls favour.

They found a way to put more energy more quickly trough the tires, we’ve seen this in all the races so far. If the pressures go up, Mercedes might not even get them in the operating window at all (just like what Bottas is struggling already with now)

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

Prodigious torque was the reason.
i’m waiting to read what excuse Pirelli choose to use.

dans79

I expect the answer given will be debris or curbs.

However I expect the underlying real issue is their tires aren't strong enough to handle the loads the cars produce.
197 104 103 7

ringo

The tyres are strong enough. If they get cut repeatedly by debris, its hard to guarantee integrity of the structure.
And the thing about the tyres failing in the same spot. That is very likely. The debris can be picked up anywhere arounf that track, any sector, and get cut up. But the straight is where the load increases from downforce but also the speed of rotation and thus they hoop stresses as PZ said. That high stress part is in fact the main and first place where any tyre failure with happen. Kinda like a plane landing. The highest stressed are going to be seen on landind and not take off.
I suspect debris was the issue. The tyre could infact have encountered debris laps before the failure.
For Sure!!

nzjrs

ringo wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 03:45
The tyres are strong enough. If they get cut repeatedly by debris, its hard to guarantee integrity of the structure.
I didn't know repeated cuts was the theory?

In any case, I think Pirelly will find 'debris' the cause and the teams will simply continue to fail to believe them.

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

I simply want to know whether or not Pirelli know what they’re messing with.
Will they choose the Ethical option? Or will they go the Moralistic route?
Either way, I’m all excited.

PlatinumZealot

Pirelli are veterans at handling ugly situations. This is but a fly in the ointment for them. Spa was awful, Silverstone, in 2011 we had failed kevlar carcasses, almost every years is a high profile tyre failure for them.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 16:11
Pirelli are veterans at handling ugly situations. This is but a fly in the ointment for them. Spa was awful, Silverstone, in 2011 we had failed kevlar carcasses, almost every years is a high profile tyre failure for them.
Is it time for a new Tyre tender, or do we just need to get the "show" requirements off of the tyre suppliers shoulders? :?: