2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Time to get the rule book out.... both Ocon got instruction to pit during the second formation lap.... Vettel suggested it and the team was like "ok, we're ready, ok lets do it". Hamilton only got a "ok copy, remember, standing start" after he said it was dry.

Schuttelberg

Don't think there will ever be a happy day in motor racing ever again. 2 very very near race wins. So near, yet so far. Just feel the pit stop today cost the victory.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Mr.S
Mr.S

“I completely understand the feelings, all I can do is to take it on us,” Wolff told Sky F1.

“It was a small mistake being too late on the brakes, and took out Lando and the two Red Bulls.

“It’s not how things should go, but in the rain it can be quite tricky. I think he [Bottas] got sandwiched and then at the moment he closed [in], they braked a tiny bit later.

“As I said it’s a small mistake that caused such a big accident, costing them a lot of points, and a possible two cars on the podium, so we are sorry for that.”

Hamilton would pull off another masterful recovery drive, though this time around P3 was his final position, a result which Wolff thought perhaps was “karma” after Bottas’ error.

“Things happen, and at the end of the day you know what is with karma…,” Wolff pondered.

“Maybe we shouldn’t have taken full points today?”

“I think Alonso was just the Alonso we know, fighty and defending how he could,” Wolff explained.

“He made his team-mate win the race because a lap or two later we probably would have gotten it, and it’s a good podium, it’s good for the sport.”

Source - Sky (Toto being honest for a change !)

Mr.S
Mr.S

“It was probably one of my best starts that I’ve done into third place and then such a small touch in the braking zone can have such a big effect just because you’re braking so on the limit, the grip’s so low, one small increase in speed and everything’s gone,” explained Norris.

“Obviously Bottas outbraked himself and hit me then I was a passenger all the way into Max. It sucks but nothing I can do at the end of the day. My job was very good, it was a very good start and I did everything I needed to do. Through no fault of my own I’m here, sadly, talking to you.”

At first it was a puncture and they obviously checked everything and saw a lot of floor damage and whatever, and we got the car back into the garage and then when we took the covers off, the whole thing was broken.

“They tried and the boys did a good job trying to fix everything and get everything ready. We gave it our best shot but too many things were in the drain for us to continue.”

“There’s not much to say is there? It’s not my fault, like, to be honest he [Bottas] just came over to me then and apologised – but apologies are nice, but it doesn’t change the result or anything, so it’s Lap 1 of the race, no one has to do anything stupid but that’s what they did today. So just ruined it.”

Source - F1 Website (Norris going after Bottas )

Jolle
Jolle

This feels a bit like the glory days where some of the forum members are longing for. Mixed conditions and massive start crashes 😂

They used to be quite common. That view of half the field running to the pit with their “garbage bag with foam” trying to beat their team mate to the spare car

El Scorchio

Sucks for Norris today. He could have been right in the mix.

Edax
Edax

Gothrek wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:03
Somebody tell Mercedes they are competing in F1, not destruction derby :lol:
Joking aside. F1 is rapidly becoming a liability for Mercedes rather than an asset. In the end the brand and image is more important than winning.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we see some changes soon.

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

Jolle wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:40
Time to get the rule book out.... both Ocon got instruction to pit during the second formation lap.... Vettel suggested it and the team was like "ok, we're ready, ok lets do it". Hamilton only got a "ok copy, remember, standing start" after he said it was dry.
Tell this the Haas 2020 drivers same race because F1 obviously doesn't want another controversy and another Hamilton win 😁

Ryar

Mick was quite fiesty today! He did all the right things and kept the car in right places, even in some challenging conditions. =D>
Hakuna Matata!

MtthsMlw

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:41
Don't think there will ever be a happy day in motor racing ever again. 2 very very near race wins. So near, yet so far. Just feel the pit stop today cost the victory.
Yeah make that a ~2s and the undercut works. Third time is the charm :wink:

piast9
piast9

Jolle wrote:
I am not so sure about that. Don't the drivers have a button on the steering wheel to signal that they go into pits? In that case the radio message would be just a confirmation by the team that they've received that signal. I've actually reviewed the Russel's onboard to see how the hell did he end up on the front on the queue at the pits on the restart and it was the same - the conversation about the conditions, Russel's suggestion that everybody would pit and then "OK, box box" (or something similar) from the team. And Russel was not called to the stewards after the race (as far as I know).

Mogster

El Scorchio wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:52
Sucks for Norris today. He could have been right in the mix.
If the car could’ve been fixed Norris must have felt he had a shot at the win today.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Edax wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:53
Gothrek wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:03
Somebody tell Mercedes they are competing in F1, not destruction derby :lol:
Joking aside. F1 is rapidly becoming a liability for Mercedes rather than an asset. In the end the brand and image is more important than winning.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we see some changes soon.
Let it go.

Accidents happen in F1 when competing

politburo
politburo

Jolle wrote:
You should view these posts, as what you are referring to is not a rule-break. viewtopic.php?p=991367#p991367

There is a difference between a formation lap when starting the race, and one when re-starting the race under the safety car. It is for this reason why literally every driver was in contact with their team on the safety car restart. Furthermore, the rule is not that the team can't tell a driver to pit under the formation lap, it is not only pit-in messages that are banned. Rather, the team cannot communicate to driver even if the driver can communicate to the team.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

TNTHead

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 19:10

I am not neutral anymore and it suits my argument to say Mercedes are faster but you know? I'm not a driver and even if I were, I don't think I'd get a chance to drive both those machines. I doubt anyone can. All I know is that Max would be leading the championship in either car this year with luck being equal because he has not made any race ending mistakes and been vastly unfortunate. But hey? The media is all British as are most forums and the sport, so let's just ignore all that.

Lewis is great. Max is just lucky driving a great car. Let that be the narrative.
Schuttelberg, you were already long time on the 'nice to read' commenters, but in this post you say it exactly as I see it. =D>

And it is even more than an opinion.
I am by no means neutral but enjoy posters who, although have their preferences can still have some objectivity.