2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
DarthPlagueisTheVise
DarthPlagueisTheVise

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

If you look at the last race for example we were supposed to all keep our blankets on in qualifying, Red Bulls were allowed to take their off and no-one else is allowed to, so you just got to make sure that it's consistent for everyone.
Interesting comments from Lewis about tyre blankings and how RB took them off early in quali. (2:10 in the video)
Last edited by DarthPlagueisTheVise on 19 May 2021, 20:48, edited 2 times in total.
Technical Noob

dans79

DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
19 May 2021, 20:31
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 65737.html
If you look at the last race for example we were supposed to all keep our blankets on in qualifying, Red Bulls were allowed to take their off and no-one else is allowed to, so you just got to make sure that it's consistent for everyone.
Interesting comments from Lewis about tyre blankings and how RB took them off early in quali.

what video are you watching? the one that pops up with that url doesn't mention this.

As an aside that comment doesn't make sense to me, I'm not aware of any rules/directives that require the use of tire blankets.
197 104 103 7

DarthPlagueisTheVise
DarthPlagueisTheVise

dans79 wrote:
19 May 2021, 20:37
DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
19 May 2021, 20:31
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/vide ... 65737.html
Interesting comments from Lewis about tyre blankings and how RB took them off early in quali.

what video are you watching? the one that pops up with that url doesn't mention this.

As an aside that comment doesn't make sense to me, I'm not aware of any rules/directives that require the use of tire blankets.
Ooops sorry wrong link. Fixed it now.
Last edited by DarthPlagueisTheVise on 19 May 2021, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Technical Noob

zibby43
zibby43

Bottas on this weekend:

“It's going to be close, we don't know the gaps between us and Red Bull, but I believe as a team we have a package we can fight for the pole and then for the win so it's all going to be about those fine details, and I look forward to it.”

zibby43
zibby43

That was a spicy interview you posted Darth.

If Merc really believe the bendy wing will be worth 6 tenths in Baku, they’ll have to protest.

dans79

I didn't see (skimmed them) anything specific in Spanish gp technical documents about require blankets but i did find this reference in the race directors notes.

https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... notes_.pdf

The provisions of Technical Directive Ref: TD012 Issue: A and the “Pirelli HSE procedures” must be
complied with at all times during the Event.
Both TD012 Issue: A and the “Pirelli HSE procedures” will be amended after the Event to reflect any
additional operational requirements as required.
Anyone know what TD012 is about or what the Pirelli HSE procedures are?

If my competition violated a technical directive, i wouldn't think twice about protesting.
197 104 103 7

zibby43
zibby43

Thanks for that. And just to clarify what Lewis was mentioning, was he suggesting that RBR were better able to control their tire temps by taking the blankets off, as opposed to leaving them on?

Or, was this just a little poke at them as a part of the game, and the blanket doffing had no significant impact on performance?

dans79

zibby43 wrote:
19 May 2021, 21:30
Thanks for that. And just to clarify what Lewis was mentioning, was he suggesting that RBR were better able to control their tire temps by taking the blankets off, as opposed to leaving them on?

Or, was this just a little poke at them as a part of the game, and the blanket doffing had no significant impact on performance?
He didn't imply anything, just that they were allowed to take them off early.
197 104 103 7

Yeah it was just a statement of fact; he doesn’t delve into any benefits/drawbacks. He’s simply saying something along the lines of: The instruction was this re:tyre blankets, we did it, Redbull didn’t. The FIA need to make sure there isn’t a discrepancy next time.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

zibby43
zibby43

So, poking them as part of the game, as I stated in the second part of my post. I know it’s a statement of fact lol. I’m more interested in the why (why he said it, why RB did it),

I’m 100% confident Merc would’ve communicated this to the FIA before today, and 100% confident that the team informed Lewis of this issue. Just like rear wing.

Good for him for following through, as playing the game publicly is sometimes the only thing that gets the FIA in gear.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... stepped-up

"Mercedes is not F1's problem and it's about time a rival stepped up"

Juzh

zibby43 wrote:
19 May 2021, 21:53
So, poking them as part of the game, as I stated in the second part of my post. I know it’s a statement of fact lol. I’m more interested in the why (why he said it, why RB did it),

I’m 100% confident Merc would’ve communicated this to the FIA before today, and 100% confident that the team informed Lewis of this issue. Just like rear wing.
Yeah, that's too obvious at this point. Even if question about bendy wings was convenient the additional comment about tyre blankets was just too much out of the blue, and Hamilton in general is not known for straying off topic in his answers, simply because he gets a million of them and wants to get on with it (much like most other drivers). Lets see if it gets mentioned again sometime this weekend.

If there was a clear breach of regs there's just no way RB, or anyone, would get away with it, so I think there must be fine print in there somewhere explaining it away.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes W12

OT question - what's the interesting looking bike in the background? Anyone know?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Re: Mercedes W12

Just_a_fan wrote:
20 May 2021, 10:17
OT question - what's the interesting looking bike in the background? Anyone know?
Lewis Hamilton's MV Augusta. He teamed up with them when they produced this bike.

https://motorbikewriter.com/lewis-hamilton-mv-agusta/

GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

Juzh wrote:
20 May 2021, 09:51
zibby43 wrote:
19 May 2021, 21:53

Yeah, that's too obvious at this point. Even if question about bendy wings was convenient the additional comment about tyre blankets was just too much out of the blue, and Hamilton in general is not known for straying off topic in his answers, simply because he gets a million of them and wants to get on with it (much like most other drivers). Lets see if it gets mentioned again sometime this weekend.

If there was a clear breach of regs there's just no way RB, or anyone, would get away with it, so I think there must be fine print in there somewhere explaining it away.
Then again there was the Red Bull grid box drying last year as well wasn’t there, which technically was against the rules but wasn’t punished because of some technicality I can’t remember?