2012 British GP - Silverstone Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
radosav
radosav

Re: 2012 British Grand Prix - Silverstone Circuit

He hasn't really been consistent in wet races. Belgium 2010 and Canada 2011 were pretty poor, nothing spectacular.
who was consistent?
i remember hamilton crash with button, or vettel hitting webber behind safety car.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

zyphro wrote:
He hasn't really been consistent in wet races. Belgium 2010 and Canada 2011 were pretty poor, nothing spectacular.
Oh yeah like Canada 2011's result was Fernando's fault.. :roll:

Hungary 2006

China 2006

Nürburgring 2007

Silverstone 2008

Belgium 2008

Silverstone 2011

Malaysia 2012

raymondu999

Alonso has had his share of good results in rain afflicted races. But generally, he's made the result up in the dry portion of the gp, or by experience and racecraft. He's never really been a wet racing monster with fantastic wet pace, generally.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FrukostScones

raymondu999 wrote:Alonso has had his share of good results in rain afflicted races. But generally, he's made the result up in the dry portion of the gp, or by experience and racecraft. He's never really been a wet racing monster with fantastic wet pace, generally.
what is a wet racing monster? Alonso clearly dominated wet Sepang together with Perez. In this car, with these tyres he is clearly a wet racing monster to me. Of cource in Fuji 2007 he did not look like the wet racing monster. Is a wet racing monster a better driver? I don't know, in the wet everything is slower (so if you have slow eyes it's easier for you), also the limit is not that "edgy" so I guess some people are relatively faster in the wet than in the dry.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

raymondu999

No but that's my point - he's never had really amazing feats of wet pace. In Malaysia Perez was faster. Alonso was ultimately the better driver that day with better racecraft, but he didn't win that on pace.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Mr Alcatraz

Perhaps the whole shooting match may come down to who guesses correctly in quali what the best race setup is for Sunday even if it sacrifices a few grid places. :?
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

raymondu999 wrote:No but that's my point - he's never had really amazing feats of wet pace. In Malaysia Perez was faster. Alonso was ultimately the better driver that day with better racecraft, but he didn't win that on pace.
Hungary 2006. He started from 15th and was going to win the race until he retired. I'm not arguing with you that he's some wet race phenom or he's the best ever, but he's has some above average wet races. I mean someone brought up Canada 2011 like that was his fault..

Either way this doesn't have anything to do with Sunday's race so. Oh, BTW Forza Ferrari!

Gridlock

Looks highly unlikely there'll be any dry running on Friday - in fact it may even be too heavy for extremes. Saturday seems to be more likely to be dry around qualy, still too early to say for sure about Sunday but there will be rain about.

PNSD
PNSD

The weather so far in Britain has been... mixed to say the least!

Although I am about 60/70 miles from Silverstone the weather here will be similar. Earlier I had a thunder shower which lasted about 10 mins. Seconds later the temperatures were up to the mid 20's and have remained ever since.

Yesterday was similar, on-off heavy showers.

I suspect tomorrow will see similar conditions, very heavy rainfall followed by short steady showers followed by sun followed by thunderous showers again!

By Sunday, Silverstone should be fairly dry. In fact even Saturday should be a classic British summers day with temperatures in to the 20's, probably even mid 20's.

PlatinumZealot

I just hope it is wet all race and the tyres are working for Mclaren.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

FrukostScones

n smikle wrote:I just hope it is wet all race and the tyres are working for Mclaren.
they will work for HAM, BUT will need the double amount of them....
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

There's going to be a lot of rain around the midlands on Saturday and Sunday. Increasingly, however, the forecast for Silverstone is tending towards just showers over the weekend. I'd say, at the moment, that the likelihood of rain affecting quali is 50% and the race about 25% looking at the rainfall prediction maps around the web. If rain does arrive, it will be in the form of showers rather than the heavy rain that some places further north and east are predicted to suffer in the next day or so.

As I shall be watching the race on the TV about 10 miles SW of the circuit, I'm not too bothered if it rains. It would be nice if it was dry from about 3pm though so that when I walk my dogs later in the day, I can go out in a t-shirt [-o<
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bhall
bhall

mx_tifoso's signature wrote:"When you hope it rains, that means you're in the sh*t" - Valentino Rossi
Autosport: Schumacher believes wet weather could help Mercedes at Silverstone wrote:"It is certainly an opportunity, that is clear," said Schumacher about the prospect of rain. "It is more an opportunity than having a clear dry race for us."

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Adding to that...
n smikle wrote:I just hope it is wet all race and the tyres are working for Mclaren.
:lol:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Jackuar

mx_tifoso wrote:It's mainly down to set up, so calm down with the "amazing wet weather drivers". If you're car is ready for dry only, you're screwed if it rains. And vice versa.

Imo.
zyphro wrote:It's been accounted by many technical figures in F1 that, the setup difference transferred nowadays is not what it used to be.

:lol: are you seriously trying to compare the reality to a game with rubbish physics?
I'm referring mx_tifoso's quote that said "Dry only"... Given that the weather is expected to be on the wet side this week, teams might as well be ready for it... But if it was completely clear till the red lights and rain plays spoilsport then, that is a screwed up situation right? And that's when driver skills come to the fore - to bring home dry-set-up-car safe under wet conditions....

And if rubbish physics makes it that difficult, how much more real physics would do?

Or am I less informed :?: :|
Finishing second is being the first one of losers....